Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #8,941 of 22,945
So I've been getting a bit of distortion on the bass on some of my tracks. Plugged it into a DX90, same track, and my goodness now I know what these are supposed to sound like. Nice clean textured bass, smooth mids and treble that is just right for my ears. Even on higher volumes, these are really clean sounding IEMs.

Also tried them with a DX50. While the DX50 still sounds better than my phone, it doesn't sound as lively as the DX90. The DX90 to me just sounds more natural. I was able to try out the X5 as well. I got a little hint of hiss through that.

Note to other buyers, these do not pair well with a Moto X (2014). They'll still sound good, but nowhere near as good as it is supposed to be.

Yeh i've had that in the past, certain mobile phones are unable to handle very low impedance headphones and distort on bass heavy music. I believe its due to the headphones pulling more current than the phone can provide.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #8,942 of 22,945

I suppose you are speaking about the K10U for 'Universal' since the 'normal ' K10 is a CIEM = custom which is why the used market pretty much nonexistent.

FYI - Noble usually has a Black Friday sale every year...
wink.gif

Yes I meant the K10U, but I accidently bought a pair of SE846 today.

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #8,944 of 22,945
Hello. 
I was wondering at roughly what volume level will it start to damage the SE846?
I'm new to this impedance concept, so I just wanna make sure at around what db to avoid and for how long the SE846 can stand loud signals. (I know the file source volume matters too, but I'm asking a general rough idea)

The reason I'm asking is, I'm thinking of DJing with the SE846 for comparison purposes (versus my Sennheiser HD8 DJ headphones)
Thanks!

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #8,945 of 22,945
  Hello. 
I was wondering at roughly what volume level will it start to damage the SE846?
I'm new to this impedance concept, so I just wanna make sure at around what db to avoid and for how long the SE846 can stand loud signals. (I know the file source volume matters too, but I'm asking a general rough idea)

The reason I'm asking is, I'm thinking of DJing with the SE846 for comparison purposes (versus my Sennheiser HD8 DJ headphones)
Thanks!

You'd be damaging your hearing long before you risk damaging the ba's with extremely loud music.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #8,946 of 22,945
I wonder if these have some sort of protection in them.  Once I plugged-in my SE425s without realizing my phone's volume was set to full.  After a brief burst of very loud music, it cut-off.  I thought I broke it.  After resetting my volume levels, one of the earbuds came to life followed by the other a few seconds later.  I was never courageous enough to try again. :D

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #8,947 of 22,945
You'd be damaging your hearing long before you risk damaging the ba's with extremely loud music.
agreed...

I'm king of the loud volume brigade, and I can say that your ears would burn out long before the Iems...

As to if not wearing them and volume control being used erroneously, cannot say, but would imagine you'd need to pump a lot of power in to kill them

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #8,948 of 22,945
Hey guys, someone gave me the SE846s as a gift. 

I need your recommendations on what to get for them as far as AMPs/DACs go. Any ideas? I don't really have a set price range, but something under $300 would be preferred. I mostly do my listening from my Macbook Pro (Late 2014).

A couple of people recommended to me the FiiO E10K as an amp/dac.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #8,949 of 22,945

I need your recommendations on what to get for them as far as AMPs/DACs go. Any ideas? I don't really have a set price range, but something under $300 would be preferred. I mostly do my listening from my Macbook Pro (Late 2014).

How's the sound directly connected to the mac book.

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #8,952 of 22,945

For under $300 DX90 is a great pairing with SE846. But there's no USB DAC functionality for Mac.
If you can spend more, AK100 II is a great all in one (DAC/AMP and DAP). 

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #8,953 of 22,945
  For under $300 DX90 is a great pairing with SE846. But there's no USB DAC functionality for Mac.
If you can spend more, AK100 II is a great all in one (DAC/AMP and DAP). 

Mac has perfect USB DAC pairing, it will auto-detect the device and you can toggle between all different audio devices by holding alt (option) and clicking the sound/volume icon at the top. I use the Fiio E09k/E17 combo perfectly, and I have in the past used the X3 with the same results.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #8,954 of 22,945

Mac has perfect USB DAC pairing, it will auto-detect the device and you can toggle between all different audio devices by holding alt (option) and clicking the sound/volume icon at the top. I use the Fiio E09k/E17 combo perfectly, and I have in the past used the X3 with the same results.

I meant DX90 cannot be used as USB DAC with Mac. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back