Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #8,596 of 22,945
Happy New Year Everyone.

Moving Slowly but sonically sound... Thanks of course in large part by my fabulous 8s.

Monty
I should be back up to speed any day now.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #8,597 of 22,945
  Happy New Year Everyone.

Moving Slowly but sonically sound... Thanks of course in large part by my fabulous 8s.

Monty
I should be back up to speed any day now.

Happy New Year, buddy. Hope everyone is having a gay ol' time.
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #8,598 of 22,945
320am on new years day morning and listening to abba, not exactly sure what that tells me or the wider audience, but sounding good so I guess that is the main thing!

Happy New Year :)

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #8,600 of 22,945
  Hi!

I finally got an mail that my iems are fixed.The only thing is that the service company suspect that they got the inner sealing two times ( the first time,shure only sent for the inner sealing.So the service company had to call them once more for asking them to send the outer sealing.)But they bealive they got the same sealing two times.But it looks like the inner sealing fited in the end of the iems to.

This is the mail i got from the service company:

Hello.

Then I'm finally done with this.
I have therefore changed the innermost of silicone rings on both plugs.
Also have "swapped" the outermost silicone rings, ie that I have strung the nut since I doubt I got Proper Auger silicone rings.
Suspect that I received the innermost silicon rings instead of the outermost but they fit anyway so I have strung they nuts.
It came with a tool so that you can unscrew the nuts themselves.

Anyone here knows if the inner and outer sealing are the same? I have read that the inner sealings are for the acoustic,ant the outher for the enviroment,so i guess it doesnt matter if it fits???

I don't think the two seal rings are the same. I asked for the outer ring (months ago) and Shure sent me the smaller inner ring. I called back and was told the outer ring was not available.

I know they say the primary function of the outer seal is for protection, but I wonder if the outer seal ring also (sort of) acts as an airtight backup seal if there are slight cracks in the inner seal? Regardless, these seal components are weak links in an otherwise tank of an IEM.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everybody!

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #8,601 of 22,945
Tried FiiO's cable for the 846 this morning, and not really sure I like it compared to stock - suppose that is saving me some money (was looking at picking up an ADL iHP-35M cable) - however - the Fiio cable was originally plugged into the Sony XBA-H3, haha - that is a come down after living with the 846 for just shy of a month! :wink:

Jan 1, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #8,602 of 22,945
Have a question for all chord hugo owners out there, this is a responsive thread so would like the feedback. Does anyone have issues with the micro ports being a little big for the supplied micro adapters resulting in wiggle up down and sideways that causes cut out/ crackle distortion. I have contacted the retailer and distributer here and will probably get an ra from chord for replacement after the 5 th, but this would be a problematic issues if there is not a snug fit in the micro ports for a portable dac, pretty well renders it unportable.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #8,603 of 22,945
Have a question for all chord hugo owners out there, this is a responsive thread so would like the feedback. Does anyone have issues with the micro ports being a little big for the supplied micro adapters resulting in wiggle up down and sideways that causes cut out/ crackle distortion. I have contacted the retailer and distributer here and will probably get an ra from chord for replacement after the 5 th, but this would be a problematic issues if there is not a snug fit in the micro ports for a portable dac, pretty well renders it unportable.

Not for me. Very snug. My USB cable had an issue from too much wiggling, but cables are easily replaceable.

Jan 1, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #8,604 of 22,945

Not for me. Very snug. My USB cable had an issue from too much wiggling, but cables are easily replaceable.

I'll try different micro adapters when I get home, on a bit of vacay for the world juniors hockey tournament in toronto, both supplied with the chord were the same, not snug. So either the specs of the cables or the specs of the ports are wonky, either way bit strange. But good advice I'll try another plug.

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #8,605 of 22,945

No issues here. Maybe try a different cable? I don't use the stock cables for the micro ports too. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #8,606 of 22,945
I forgot who it was on this thread that was saying the DX90 + SE846 (white filter) was a lethal combo... Yeah I wanted to confirm it's freakin awesome. Haha

I'm really enjoying the SE846 today. I tried a slightly shallower insertion today, somehow I still get a nice seal with the medium Shure olive tips. But yeah I'm in that magical place where I'm just lost in the music. It's one of those days where I was craving that Shure lush intimate sound.

I guess I'm really lucky in the sense that I can easily achieve a good seal with all standard tips from Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, Westone, Klipsch, etc, etc. I've always used the default for all brands and achieve a near perfect seal everytime.

I'm really glad Shure made the SE846. For years I wondered how they were going to respond. Talk about taking the Shure house sound to the next level.

I was thinking yesterday that without meaning to I'm a pretty big/original Shure fan. I've had every flagship except the SRH940. I had the SE530 (4 years) then the SE535 (2 years) and now the SE846. In headphones I had the SRH840 (when that was the top of their headphone line) and now I own the SRH1540 too. Not sure if the 1540 is their flagship given the 1840 still exists for the same price, but perhaps their closed flagship for sure.

I wonder if Shure is working on an SE957 or something like that cuz I'll be first line to buy them
L3000.gif

*I was thinking about my thorough experimentation with tips when I used to own the SE530 and wanted to recommend the Klipsch silicone tips. They're actually oval to fit the shape of your ears and I used to enjoy it immensely with my SE530. However I did eventually come back to the Shure olives becaues I felt like the SE530 no longer sounded like the SE530, but yeah it's very nice for few months at a time.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #8,607 of 22,945
I was wondering if anyone have a RWA/DIY iMod 5.5 generation.
How does the SE846 sound with an imod? Going to mod my iPod soon... and am excited to hear the results.

(FYI: I don't need a 24bit "hi-res" DAP at the moment. Most of my files are 16bit/44.1kHz ALAC, 320kbps MP3 and 256kbps AAC)

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #8,608 of 22,945
M-13 The most annoying thing I did was buy the E5C literally only 2-3 days before the E500 was released - good for Shure, and their funds, bad - as always, for my wallet...

I will agree with you, something very alluring about the Shure house sound that keeps you coming back for more!

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #8,609 of 22,945
@M-13 The most annoying thing I did was buy the E5C literally only 2-3 days before the E500 was released - good for Shure, and their funds, bad - as always, for my wallet...

I will agree with you, something very alluring about the Shure house sound that keeps you coming back for more!

Wow E5C and E500. Those names take me back. I remember doing research into what the difference was between the E500 and SE530 was back in the day. Turns out not much if I recall
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #8,610 of 22,945
Wow E5C and E500. Those names take me back. I remember doing research into what the difference was between the E500 and SE530 was back in the day. Turns out not much if I recall :D

My first audiophile headphone was the e3c, about 15 years ago. Kept me happy for 5 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back