Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 28, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #8,566 of 22,945
  How much of this thread have you kept up with?

We're you not here for the discussion of the SE846 as the greatest universal IEM on the planet? This went on for pages and pages... and that wasn't the only example of fanboysim

I guess I can probably find worse cases on Head-Fi, but not too many.
rolleyes.gif

Fanboyism on this thread is pretty bad compared to others, TOTL threads in general are bad. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #8,567 of 22,945
Fanboyism on this thread is pretty bad compared to others, TOTL threads in general are bad. 

I don't see people attacking others on this thread. I mean, fanboys are generally described as people who are without reason and would be willing to put down others in defense of their favorite product. I have yet to see people on this thread to do this aside from M-13, who clearly doesn't see people who prefer the SE846 as his peers. We didn't openly seek him out to attack him. In fact, I ignored his attacks on SE846 owners on the other threads. The one who's displaying any sort of fanboy ism at the moment is him alone. Yes, we are enthusiastic about getting the best out of the 846, just no mistake that for fanboyism. Besides, if liking the 846, makes me a fanboy, whatever. At least I'm more concerned with enjoying what I have instead of trying to justify my preference by attacking others.

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #8,570 of 22,945

That last part seems to be true of all dynamic driver headphones.  Anybody know of a good, single dynamic driver IEM that gives isolation as good as the 846?

FutureSonics Atrio MG7 has slightly better isolation with Westone foam tips. You would have to scream in my ear to get my attention with those on at medium listening volume.

[edit]They are not vented at all, just checked

Every other single dynamic driver IEM's that I've tried has 6/10 or less isolation so you are right in almost all cases. The MG7 is a rare breed, still love mine.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #8,571 of 22,945
I've seen you post on other threads, M-13. You seem to have an issue with anyone who disagrees with your tastes. It's thinly-veiled at best. It's wonderful that you love your K003 and all, but coming into this thread and attacking people and calling them fanboys when you spend next to no time on this thread is unfair and ridiculous. If anything, you're the one who's acting like a fanboy here. I really don't understand this "vendetta" you have against people who prefer the SE846. If someone classifies the 846 as the best UIEM, let them do it. It's an opinion, so let it be. There's no point in going on this crusade of yours.

I'm not "attacking" people by calling them fans.
rolleyes.gif

Just because I point out some weaknesses doesn't mean I have a "vendetta."

Remember remember the fifth of november...

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #8,572 of 22,945
Tried the whites.The overall balance of bass,and mids seem less,and the treble,even for my old ears,was too prominent.so have gone back to blue. Not tried black yet.Was not expecting such a difference between the two.The 846 i have found the most difficult to get the best out of,but  (Hopefully!.) at last settled on balanced cable,without the memory wire,and after trying many tips. settled on foam ones. Now a happy bunny.

Apparently, the Chord Hugo keeps the white filters in check. I haven't tried the Hugo myself, but I'm tempted to purchase it and see.

Wait a couple of months, im not sure what they are launching, but two new products will be launched in january.... Unless there is still box day sales on, like i was silly enough to not wait for.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #8,573 of 22,945
Wait a couple of months, im not sure what they are launching, but two new products will be launched in january.... Unless there is still box day sales on, like i was silly enough to not wait for.

Good advice. And I don't believe I've seen the Hugo on sale yet. I know I could find a used one for a decent price, but I'd rather a warranty.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #8,576 of 22,945
some background:

came from
Galaxy Note 3
Fiio E18
Sennheiser IE80 with Galaxy Audio silver cable
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro with Dynamique Audio Silver Cable

I didn't think this setup could get any better, and it would be just the law of diminishing returns.

As of now, I couldn't stand the lag that was building up with the Note 3 so I swapped that out for the iPhone 6 plus,
and after many many many months of debating, the Shure 846s.

I don't really see the need for the E18 with the iPhone 6 plus anymore as the output seems to be quite good without amping,

Even the COPs sound fine without the amp. Also, the micro USB digital out cable no longer works with the E18 on the iPhone and the 3.5 mm to 3.5mm seems to be reducing audio quality as well, so I just use it for my Surface Pro 3.  

The only issue I have with these is the fitment.  The rear round part touches my ears so it hurts after a while. I had similar issues with the IE80s, but after getting use to them the pain went away, I guess my ears need some breaking in :)

Other than that, I'm listening to movie OSTs in FLAC like The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hobbit, hell even Kung Fu Panda and I'm loving the soundstage and clarity.

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #8,577 of 22,945

Did it occur to you it's perhaps because the 846's are really really good so it's easy to be enthusiastic about them? I've also found this thread to be technically interesting and not just to be unabashed praising. There is also very little criticism or really nasty attacks on other iems or users of other gear. One of the best threads I've read through on HeadFi

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #8,578 of 22,945
  some background:

came from
Galaxy Note 3
Fiio E18

I didn't think this setup could get any better, and it would be just the law of diminishing returns.

As of now, I couldn't stand the lag that was building up with the Note 3 so I swapped that out for the iPhone 6 plus,

I don't really see the need for the E18 with the iPhone 6 plus anymore as the output seems to be quite good without amping,

Even the COPs sound fine without the amp. Also, the micro USB digital out cable no longer works with the E18 on the iPhone and the 3.5 mm to 3.5mm seems to be reducing audio quality as well, so I just use it for my Surface Pro 3.  

The only issue I have with these is the fitment.  The rear round part touches my ears so it hurts after a while. I had similar issues with the IE80s, but after getting use to them the pain went away, I guess my ears need some breaking in :)

Other than that, I'm listening to movie OSTs in FLAC like The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hobbit, hell even Kung Fu Panda and I'm loving the soundstage and clarity.

Welcome to the 846 club! Coming from my UM3X, the size of the 846 was really a shock to begin with. It really becomes a non-issue after a while, though- I think its conventional shape helps a lot.

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #8,579 of 22,945

You could save your pennies for some custom silicon shells from Sensaphonics. Love mine. And I have also long struggled to get a great fit in one ear in particular. 

Until you break down and get the customs, I'd recommend grabbing a variety pack of the Westone Star tips. They worked best for me. 

But now, oh the seal and isolation I am getting!!

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #8,580 of 22,945
  some background:

came from
Galaxy Note 3
Fiio E18

Westone silicon tips might fix your issue. If you use medium tips, get the red ones. Or better yet, just get the sampler pack which comes with all their tips shapes and sizes plus foam ones also, find which ones work best for you. They are longer than normal tips - for me they make it to the second bend in my ear. The way I use mine, the casing sits almost at a 45 degree angle to my head so it doesn't touch my ear, and stays locked into place until I choose to remove them. Reduces cable noise also as the shell sits very snug in there, doesn't bounce around.

Old pic, same thing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back