Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 27, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #8,521 of 22,945
Hey all 

Im dying to try out the se846 but will have to wait a month until the headroom show in London. 

I have been checking out the iem thread on soundstage quality for a while and it suddenly hit me. I dont care one bit about soundstage width. 
I want a hard hitting and upfront sound. I mean i love soundstage height and esp depth but what I really want is to get the fun lushness and
smooth bass I love with the hd650s but in an iem. 

How do you all feel the se846 fairs on soundstage depth, height as well as instrument separation? 

I currently have been on a neutrality binge with my er4s for 2 years and now my conservative upgrade to a stagediver sd-2 ...much better but soundstage
is too distant...it makes me want to turn up the volume to get the closed in immediate feel I want. Prob lack of good sub bass? 

I will borrow a pair of UE900 in Jan as well as a Westone 4R maybe. All the learning process to get a good sound sig I like :) 

Merry Xmas (belated) 

I never found the se846s soundstage to be anything out of the ordinary, it's not bad or closed in or anything it just sounds natural to my ears. Instrument separation is definitely one area where I found it to be very good. I found them exceptional for picking out individual instruments and their placement.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #8,522 of 22,945
Im dying to try out the se846 but will have to wait a month until the headroom show in London. 
Don't listen to them out of the Chord Hugo (I believe that is where they'll be plugged in)... That is a whole different ballgame / wallet emptying experience :wink:

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #8,523 of 22,945
Don't listen to them out of the Chord Hugo (I believe that is where they'll be plugged in)... That is a whole different ballgame / wallet emptying experience
wink.gif

The Chord Hugo is not so expensive in my opinion considering it also functions pretty good as a desktop system :p

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #8,524 of 22,945
Hi Daniel.I have the Westone 4R,as well as the Shure 846. I use the 846 with Oppo HA 1,and the HiFi M8. For me,the 846 have a wide,and a good depth to the soundstage,BUT, seem to be very critical regarding good/bad recordings. The main problem for me ,was getting a good fit. I removed the memory wire,and the plastic sheathing. I then spent a long time,finding a good seal,trying many different tips. Final out come?. Fantastic. The bass is almost contra bass. Lush mids.Treble?. For some,needs taming?. For me,clear,crisp. I bought the 846,after recommendations on here. Highly recommended. If you get to N/E Scotland,you can listen to mine!.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #8,525 of 22,945
Nice looking cable, thanks for the store as well for my bookmarks. I went to the U.S. for my cable 32 awg 8 line, for my 846, and I see why they discontinued it, it is a little difficult to maneuver about ears etc, but the soundstage is fantastic. And also went to the states for my Jenna lab cryogenic cable upgrade for my th900. Course that needed some delicate soldering work as there is no connectors in that model. Does this guy do all kinds of cable customization, or is this through the store.
Lastly I don't know why I don't wait for Boxing Day, other than i will be on vacation next week, to order stuff. My chord Hugo is now 300$ off, dummy.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #8,526 of 22,945
I auditioned a few headphones today. I found a one that sounds a tad like the SE846 albeit with slightly less bass quantity (neutral sound sig). Surprisingly, the B&O H6 (yes, the one also found in Apple store) I find is EXTREMELY good for the price. Flawless build quality, great aesthetics and even better sound. If the isolation was better than average I would get them.

Found a local guy in Toronto that makes custom cables for Headfoneshop =)
Snagged this one:

-26AWG 7N UP-OCC cable (75 strand)
-Furutech Rhodium Plated mini jack 
-Heatshrink filled with Epoxy instead of MMCX casing (more compact)
-Left channel = purple + clear insulation, Right = red and clear

The insulation is much softer than my 93Spec pure silver cable. Soundstage is the biggest I've heard so far on the 8's. Bass sounds more natural and the mids are smooth, lush. The pure silver cable still has the best highs and consequently better micro detailing - the OCC is more fun. I like both.  

My last post was for reply to this post.

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #8,527 of 22,945
Thanks for the all impressions guys 

I tried the Chord Hugo for a week before on a home loan. I found it v good with my hd650s but really not good with my er4s. not sure why. 

Ill be trying the se846 at the show with my apex glacier amp. curious to see how they pair given that the se846 are quite low impedance. 

Hi Daniel.I have the Westone 4R,as well as the Shure 846. I use the 846 with Oppo HA 1,and the HiFi M8. For me,the 846 have a wide,and a good depth to the soundstage,BUT, seem to be very critical regarding good/bad recordings. The main problem for me ,was getting a good fit. I removed the memory wire,and the plastic sheathing. I then spent a long time,finding a good seal,trying many different tips. Final out come?. Fantastic. The bass is almost contra bass. Lush mids.Treble?. For some,needs taming?. For me,clear,crisp. I bought the 846,after recommendations on here. Highly recommended. If you get to N/E Scotland,you can listen to mine!.

How do you find the 4R compares to the 846? I tried the 4R before but it was via a double helix balance cable to an AK240 playing DSD hah. needless to say that was amazing. 

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #8,528 of 22,945
Originally Posted by daniel_hokkaido /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ill be trying the se846 at the show with my apex glacier amp. curious to see how they pair given that the se846 are quite low impedance. 

Maybe I'll try it out.... Since getting my Chord Hugo all my other amps have gotten woefully little play!

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #8,530 of 22,945
hey all, what are some of the cables you guys are using for the SE846?
I'm thinking about getting some cables, but never done a lot of research in this area yet. 

I did learn that copper wires (the one used in the SE846) are generally better for bass lovers...

What are some of the stuff I have to look at (besides price)?
Thanks!
And merry christmas to you all (and a happy new year)

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #8,531 of 22,945
I'm thinking about getting some cables, but never done a lot of research in this area yet. 

I did learn that copper wires (the one used in the SE846) are generally better for bass lovers...

Thanks!

Copper wires are warmer, with a rounder bass. The sound is smoother.

Silver tightens up the bass and adds clarity and detail. The treble also gains some energy.

Apart from choosing your material (copper or silver... or better, get both and AB), and make sure that the guy knows it's for the 846- search earlier within this thread for the extra 'washer' needed specifically for the 846, to ensure that it stags snug and tight and more importantly the sound doesn't cut out.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #8,532 of 22,945
Thanks for that, I'm still at the awe phase and have barely tried listening through my new imac yet, which really impressed me. I really hoped I wouldn't have to go in there and risk changing those things, although it seems some posters flip them often. I will try it though, after a few days of listening first though. I can see already why one might like a more poignant high end, I enjoy some mids but really prefer to look down and see my feet, not my belly, so we shall see. Happy listening.

Any new impressions? I hope you're still in the awe phase!

Yes total awe, still listening to like 80 gigs of tunes, will post further impressions later, might wait till i get my 900 cabled and back. Enjoying the chord 846 combo in short.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #8,533 of 22,945

Higher the awg the better, more lines the bettter, so i have a combo silver copper 8 line 32 awg for my 8. Also cryogenics for copper also does something but cant comment on that

Thanks!

Silver tightens up the bass and adds clarity and detail. The treble also gains some energy.

Apart from choosing your material (copper or silver... or better, get both and AB), and make sure that the guy knows it's for the 846- search earlier within this thread for the extra 'washer' needed specifically for the 846, to ensure that it stags snug and tight and more importantly the sound doesn't cut out.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #8,534 of 22,945

Higher the awg the better, more lines the bettter, so i have a combo silver copper 8 line 32 awg for my 8. Also cryogenics for copper also does something but cant comment on that

Thanks!

Oops sorry

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #8,535 of 22,945
Happy Christmas everybody!

Quick question on eartips... Shure say in the 846 user manual to push the tips all the way onto the posts. They say that if any part of the post is exposed, they're not attached properly and you must push them all the way on. I don't get a great fit with any tips like that. I found the best fit I get is with the small Shure foamies, with about 3 mm of post still exposed. This gives me a perfect seal without even having to roll the tips before inserting. A nice seal and very comfy! I am not having sleepless nights about the tips coming off and getting stuck in my ear canals. Even with 4 mm to 5 mm of the post exposed I still need heavy industrial machinery to remove those tips. But my question to you 846 veterans is - what heinous audio crime am I committing by not following Shure's instructions here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back