Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #8,446 of 22,945
  Thanks. haha Time well wasted. 

No worries - but wasted?
confused.gif
  I thought it was better than posting some Will Smith/Jimmy Fallan dance .gif.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #8,448 of 22,945

I have a number of Hi-Res recordings where the old CD (with the old analog tape disclaimer) sounds better... Also some of the newer remasters of older recordings have given in to the compression gremlins. Don't throw away your old CD's!

Well put. The files you find on your CDs are probably the most consistent one could get when it comes to sound quality.

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #8,449 of 22,945
I was poking fun at the amount of time I've spent posting and how quickly I've ascended to Headphoneus Supremus. lol

Oh, my bad, I thought you were referring to the almost minute long handshake! Well in that case, yeah...but, at least you get to meet some awesome people along the way! :bigsmile_face:

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #8,450 of 22,945
Oh, my bad, I thought you were referring to the almost minute long handshake! Well in that case, yeah...but, at least you get to meet some awesome people along the way! :bigsmile_face:

Indeed. To be honest, the only reason I post so often is because of those who are pleasant to speak to. The regulars on this thread has been quite helpful in regards to my goal to achieve my optimum sound, and for that, I thank them. I often see threads that harbor nothing but bickering and ego-building comments. Thankfully, this is one of those threads that has regulars who are more concerned with getting the best out of these phones and are willing to share and compare their set-ups in a friendly manner.

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #8,451 of 22,945
  This is not a 'cut and dry' topic, but I generally also feel that 320kbps is okay for me. More important is the source (vinyl vs cd), and the way it was recorded (can't change that, unfortunately).

Which filter are you using?

The original balanced one!

You're not alone. My source is not as good as yours, but still capable of playing high resolution files, and I can't say there's a definitive audible difference either. However, I will say one thing, when I do think there's a difference, it was with music of a much slower tempo. It's easier to pay attention to the details.

You're right!!! I tested another song in the AK240 demo unit... this time it's Eagles - Hotel California.... (24bit / 192kHz)
and man, do I FINALLY hear the difference! Definitely VERY clear! 

Out of curiosity, where'd you get the 24/96 version of the Nirvana album?  I have it from HD Tracks and wasn't very impressed.  One thing I've found out is that buying the hi-res versions doesn't necessarily guarantee improved sound.  I've been very disappointed with many of my hi-res downloads.  Some, however, have sounded fantastic.  I think it ultimately comes down to the quality of the original recording and the mastering/remastering.

No idea, it's a demo unit. You're very right, it really depends on the file, the file source, the type of music etc.

---

So in conclusion, after testing the AK240 a bit longer, paired up with the Shure SE846, I must say, I can finally hear the difference between MP3 320kbps / M4A 256kbps vs. a 24bit/48/96/192kHz file...
But I generally can hear the difference in much slower song, with less bassy beats (like an "EDM" track)

Definitely getting more excited on what the SE846 can bring to my ears! 

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #8,452 of 22,945
I just got a fresh pair of 846 here and I play it out my iPhone.

The sound quality is my favorite, compared to IE800 and the akg k3003. The IE800 was more "pretty." If you're looking for something that sounds pretty and sparkley.

The k3003 was actually quite amazing. It's lows didn't haul as much oomph compared to the 846, but had the same kind of darkness. The mids are balanced here, nothing special, but not lacking by any means. The shure mids completely blow them out the water, but are more in your face than the k3003

The for the highs. The ie800 are way to sparkley, but they're smooth. The AKG is just right, and are a hair under being considered harsh. its like your ears want to think they're harsh but they fail to become harsh and can be considered a strongpoint for the headphones

The shure highs could use a little brightness and sparkle, but they balance well with the other frequencies. So they're not lacking, but rather, not emphasizes.

When I was listening to the 846 I was making facial grimaces like I was making love. Lol. It's a great audio experience everything I use them. Only used them for a day, and am about to go hit the weight room with them. Can't wait!

Agreed.  I got my 846 around 3 PM yesterday and had too forcibly pull them out of my ears around 2 AM as I needed some sleep. 
ksc75smile.gif
 Sleepless nights here we come!

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #8,453 of 22,945
  Sorry I didn't see this earlier. What's your price range?

Hey Dinerenblanc, thank you for the reply!
I actually just bought the Fiio E12A for now... it'll be used with my iPod 5.5 generation (thinking of iModing it soon)....
I know that this option isn't the best, but I really don't have tons of hi-res audio... When 24bit or even DSD files are more common, I'll upgrade my sound system.

But for now, hope this setup of mine last a few years!

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #8,454 of 22,945
I just noticed that there's a faint whining sound through my IEMs while using my DAC/amp whenever I turn the volume past 50%, and it only occurs when I don't have anything playing. It can definitely be heard during split second pauses when songs transition, but not while ones playing even in the most quietest of moments. Is this issue common or should I be concerned? It happens even when it's not connected to a source. Thanks folks. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #8,455 of 22,945
Any portable cans similar to SE846? Mainly looking for big sub bass with minimal to no mid bass bloat. I REALLY like the Ultrasone Performance 880 but will wait until Drew from Moon Audio starts doing the split removable cable mod.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #8,458 of 22,945
  Any portable cans similar to SE846? Mainly looking for big sub bass with minimal to no mid bass bloat. I REALLY like the Ultrasone Performance 880 but will wait until Drew from Moon Audio starts doing the split removable cable mod.

Thinksound On1 - they're not quite as good as the 846s, but they have amazing bass, good treble, but smooth treble and excellent staging! My review of them is linked from my signature below... not around the ear, but seal better than many other on-ear models I've tried

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #8,459 of 22,945
So in conclusion, after testing the AK240 a bit longer, paired up with the Shure SE846, I must say, I can finally hear the difference between MP3 320kbps / M4A 256kbps vs. a 24bit/48/96/192kHz file...
Absolutely not wanting to derail the thread, however - something interesting to try, and something I've done first hand, those hi-res files, did you transcode them down to the lossier formats, and use the same track for your test?

I cannot hear any difference between hi-res and regular res when I do that... That being said, the Shures VERY easily show up how bad certain recordings are...

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #8,460 of 22,945
  I just noticed that there's a faint whining sound through my IEMs while using my DAC/amp whenever I turn the volume past 50%, and it only occurs when I don't have anything playing. It can definitely be heard during split second pauses when songs transition, but not while ones playing even in the most quietest of moments. Is this issue common or should I be concerned? It happens even when it's not connected to a source. Thanks folks. 

I have this issue. I believe it's just because of the low impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back