Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #8,431 of 22,945
They are still in that lovely shure box waiting. I find ramen too salty so not sure what I'll give up to pay for this indulgence. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: really pumped though, and your all responsible.

Whatever you really like to eat, or drink, for that matter.  I really love waffles, so I would give those up...sadly.
frown.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #8,432 of 22,945

Whatever you really like to eat, or drink, for that matter.  I really love waffles, so I would give those up...sadly.
frown.gif

So what we're saying is that this hobby can help make us eat healthy?

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #8,433 of 22,945
I just wrote again on my comparison thread. I also don't believe in burn-in, especially for BA IEMs. After what the folks from Noble said, I'm also not a believer that customs vs universals have very different sound. I must say, I have experienced bone conduction and that is real- although I would argue that's not an issue of sound, but rather how one experiences it.

Anyhow, Moe and I hear the Legend R so differently, despite having a common reference point (the Shure SE846), that I am now think that my unit may just have been defective. Certainly, the guys at the shop I heard it at, who had also heard a custom Legend R, also thought there was something off about the demo.

I contacted Jack about this- because despite all these issues, I do actually hear lots of potential in the Legend R. The end result is that I now have impressions on the way to him, having bought a custom version of the Legend R. I don't buy acrylic customs as a general rule, but I'll make an exception this one time. 

When I get them, I'll do an update of my impressions. It may be a good idea to ask Jack if he'll be willing to extend the discount to the Shure 846 owners in this thread who are still on the fence, at least till after I can post updated impressions, since I probably won't get the Custom Legend R before the discount ends. I'll ask and report back.

Quick update on this, for those looking at the Legend R. I dropped an email to Jack and he's strongly considering this suggestion- but he'll probably restrict it to Head-Fiers. So if you're still on the fence about the Legend R, you'll probably be able to wait until after I get my Custom set before you make your decision.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #8,434 of 22,945

I just wrote again on my comparison thread. I also don't believe in burn-in, especially for BA IEMs. After what the folks from Noble said, I'm also not a believer that customs vs universals have very different sound. I must say, I have experienced bone conduction and that is real- although I would argue that's not an issue of sound, but rather how one experiences it.

Anyhow, Moe and I hear the Legend R so differently, despite having a common reference point (the Shure SE846), that I am now think that my unit may just have been defective. Certainly, the guys at the shop I heard it at, who had also heard a custom Legend R, also thought there was something off about the demo.

I contacted Jack about this- because despite all these issues, I do actually hear lots of potential in the Legend R. The end result is that I now have impressions on the way to him, having bought a custom version of the Legend R. I don't buy acrylic customs as a general rule, but I'll make an exception this one time. 

When I get them, I'll do an update of my impressions. It may be a good idea to ask Jack if he'll be willing to extend the discount to the Shure 846 owners in this thread who are still on the fence, at least till after I can post updated impressions, since I probably won't get the Custom Legend R before the discount ends. I'll ask and report back.

Quick update on this, for those looking at the Legend R. I dropped an email to Jack and he's strongly considering this suggestion- but he'll probably restrict it to Head-Fiers. So if you're still on the fence about the Legend R, you'll probably be able to wait until after I get my Custom set before you make your decision.

Thanks for the update, Jelt. I believe many people would jump on the Legend if he was to extend the promotion for Head-Fi members. If anything it'll help his company gain some tractsion
They are still in that lovely shure box waiting. I find ramen too salty so not sure what I'll give up to pay for this indulgence. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: really pumped though, and your all responsible.

Ah, but have you had fresh ramen before? It's on a whole other level. We have a few legitimate Ramen noodle shops in NY and they all make their broth and noodles from scratch. It's amazing. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #8,435 of 22,945
  So what we're saying is that this hobby can help make us eat healthy?

I didn't say that at all, but didn't mean to imply that either.  With that said, the hobby can not make us healthy if we forgo eating or drinking something that is healthy and replacing it with some food or drink that is not so healthy.
regular_smile .gif

Or you (anyone who is interested in the Legend R) can read up on the EarWerkz thread, as there are a few Legend R custom owners that have shared their impressions/posted reviews already.

...Ah, but have you had fresh ramen before? It's on a whole other level. We have a few legitimate Ramen noodle shops in NY and they all make their broth and noodles from scratch. It's amazing. 

If you ever come out to So. Cal, you gotta try the Ramen out here.  Also, the Pho is scrumptious as well!

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #8,436 of 22,945
Dec 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #8,437 of 22,945
Well it's all moot now and darn it. More research and a few left clicks and im now a lot poorer. I'll receive a chord hugo in a couple of days, with carrying case. So now my vamp Verza goes to my partner. Proper ohm impedance and impressive specs and reviews has moved me to reach, hopefully, the end of my refrence buying spree.:grinning:

You're lucky your partner can take it over. I'm alone in this hobby so I either take a big hit on items or retire them...

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #8,438 of 22,945
Hey all, so I used the SE846 to briefly test 2 AK devices: AK120 II and AK240....

The song was Nirvana - Smells Like a Teen Spirit @ 24bit/96kHz
I must say, I didn't hear too much of a dramatic improvement over my usual 320kbps MP3...

I listen to a lot of heavy bass music, such as trance techno and progressive, so when I first used the SE846 to listen those type of music (MP3 320kbps / 256kbps M4A format), I was amazed...

With the 24bit/96kHz Nirvana's song, I did feel the electric guitar's strings were more clear (the highs), but since it's a rock song, the bass seems the same as a lower quality MP3 file, meaning I couldn't tell a dramatic improvement on the lows... as for the mids, it's a bit warmer than a MP3 file

Is it because my ears aren't trained up? Or does 24bit/96kHz doesn't offer a "WOW this is unreal" type feeling from a high quality MP3 file?
Or do I need an amp to "omph" the sound more? I'm confused.

That said, I'm getting really spoiled with the SE846... amazing earphones so far... Loving it!!!!!

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #8,439 of 22,945
Hey all, so I used the SE846 to briefly test 2 AK devices: AK120 II and AK240....

I must say, I didn't hear too much of a dramatic improvement over my usual 320kbps MP3...

I listen to a lot of heavy bass music, such as trance techno and progressive, so when I first used the SE846 to listen those type of music (MP3 320kbps / 256kbps M4A format), I was amazed...

With the 24bit/96kHz Nirvana's song, I did feel the electric guitar's strings were more clear (the highs), but since it's a rock song, the bass seems the same as a lower quality MP3 file, meaning I couldn't tell a dramatic improvement on the lows... as for the mids, it's a bit warmer than a MP3 file

Is it because my ears aren't trained up? Or does 24bit/96kHz doesn't offer a "WOW this is unreal" type feeling from a high quality MP3 file?

That said, I'm getting really spoiled with the SE846... amazing earphones so far... Loving it!!!!!

This is not a 'cut and dry' topic, but I generally also feel that 320kbps is okay for me. More important is the source (vinyl vs cd), and the way it was recorded (can't change that, unfortunately).

Which filter are you using?

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #8,440 of 22,945

You're not alone. My source is not as good as yours, but still capable of playing high resolution files, and I can't say there's a definitive audible difference either. However, I will say one thing, when I do think there's a difference, it was with music of a much slower tempo. It's easier to pay attention to the details.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #8,441 of 22,945

Out of curiosity, where'd you get the 24/96 version of the Nirvana album?  I have it from HD Tracks and wasn't very impressed.  One thing I've found out is that buying the hi-res versions doesn't necessarily guarantee improved sound.  I've been very disappointed with many of my hi-res downloads.  Some, however, have sounded fantastic.  I think it ultimately comes down to the quality of the original recording and the mastering/remastering.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #8,442 of 22,945
Out of curiosity, where'd you get the 24/96 version of the Nirvana album?  I have it from HD Tracks and wasn't very impressed.  One thing I've found out is that buying the hi-res versions doesn't necessarily guarantee improved sound.  I've been very disappointed with many of my hi-res downloads.  Some, however, have sounded fantastic.  I think it ultimately comes down to the quality of the original recording and the mastering/remastering.

Yeah, better files doesn't necessarily mean the sound would be better. I have Spotify premium on my phone and although it streams at 320kbps, some tracks piss poor in comparison their iTunes counterpart. It's never a guarantee that the track would sound better. Services like HDTracks should allow people to demo songs before purchasing them.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #8,443 of 22,945
Yeah, better files doesn't necessarily mean the sound would be better. I have Spotify premium on my phone and although it streams at 320kbps, some tracks piss poor in comparison their iTunes counterpart. It's never a guarantee that the track would sound better. Services like HDTracks should allow people to demo songs before purchasing them.

I have a number of Hi-Res recordings where the old CD (with the old analog tape disclaimer) sounds better... Also some of the newer remasters of older recordings have given in to the compression gremlins. Don't throw away your old CD's!

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #8,444 of 22,945

I use Spotify Premium as well, but will welcome Hi-Fi/FLAC streaming capabilities.  Hopefully they are working on it. 

Congrats on reaching Supremus!  As a wise man (Warren) says: "Still doesn't know jack s***..."

So...I was thinking of a cool handshake .gif, or something like that, but let's kick it up a notch.  This will have to do:

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:10 AM Post #8,445 of 22,945

I use Spotify Premium as well, but will welcome Hi-Fi/FLAC streaming capabilities.  Hopefully they are working on it. 

Congrats on reaching Supremus!  As a wise man (Warren) says: "Still doesn't know jack s***..."

So...I was thinking of a cool handshake .gif, or something like that, but let's kick it up a notch.  This will have to do:

Thanks. haha Time well wasted. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back