Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #8,326 of 22,945
  Would you said its better than the International?

No - the international is superior to my old and current RSA amp - the International is a DAC/Amp - converts up to 24/96 whereas the RSA DAC/Amp products (when you can pin them down - they paint over their chips) supposedly only reproduce 16/48 or is it 24/48 - not completely sure.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #8,327 of 22,945
I think I found my next CIEM. I am a sub bass head but here's the catch: I dislike excessive mid bass bloat - SE846 has the right ammount of both IMO.

HIDITION NT6

Look at this frequency response:

Yeah that's kind of a nasty peak in the highs. Might be even worse with a silver cable. Hmm

Dec 16, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #8,328 of 22,945
Hello all
I'm new and I decided to finally register an account. Been reading a lot about this thread, and I'm finally getting the SE846 tomorrow! Really excited!
Since I'm not like a super audiophile in terms of getting the best portable players, amps etc, I do DJ so I do care about music / sound quality, so I have a few questions since I'm not super technical:

1) I have a Pioneer DJM 900 nexus mixer (http://www.pioneerdjusa.com/gear.aspx?product=DJM-900nexus), and it stated that it has a "Built-in 24bit/96kHz high performance soundcard". If I play an audio file that's .wav with 24bit from the connected with the CDJ 2000 nexus via "Digital Out", can I enjoy high quality music with the Shure SE846?

Unfortunately, I only own the said equipment (CDJ 2000 and DJM 900) that has good sound quality... next:

2) Hows is the sound quality  for iPhone 6 + SE846 listening to 320kps .mp3 / 256kbps .m4a music?
3) What about the sound quality if SE846 is paired with an iPod 5.5 generation?

Of course, I'll gradually upgrade my gadgets, but these few questions are the ones I have in mind at the moment with the current devices I own.

Thank you for the help! I'm waiting for my ears to feel true euphoria tomorrow!

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #8,329 of 22,945

Let us know your thoughts on the P100's. I'm using them now and I really prefer them to the Shure olives - hate trying to remove the Shures from the nozzles and I just can't get a comfortable fit with them. Been using the Westone stars for quite a while and I generally like them. The P100's are by far the best fitting and isolating tips I've tried - They're longer than the others so they tend to give me a better seal. They're quite a bit firmer than most other foam tips. I find they sound fairly close to the Westone stars - slightly more rounded bass but still with good detail

I got the P100s in today and had a chance to use them for a few hours. Unfortunately, I still prefer my Westone Star tips. The P100s makes the sound a little more full, and you're correct that it also rounds off the bass a bit, but you also lose bit of detail, specifically in the treble region. Guitars just don't sound as lively with the P100s. It does a great job of tempering mildly sibilant songs though, like Cat Power's Sea of Love, where sibilance has become a non-issue. Regardless, I'll still stick with the Star tips, that is until I get a chance to pick up a pair of custom sleeves. With that said, if anyone wants a set of these after market ear tips, send me a PM. I have a few sets of the Comply T & P series, & Westone Star Tips in large. I'll send you a pair via snail mail. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #8,330 of 22,945
I think I found my next CIEM. I am a sub bass head but here's the catch: I dislike excessive mid bass bloat - SE846 has the right ammount of both IMO.

HIDITION NT6

Yeah that's kind of a nasty peak in the highs. Might be even worse with a silver cable. Hmm

Do all balanced armature IEM's have a big drop in the treble?

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #8,331 of 22,945

HIDITION NT6

Here is an overlap of V2 with UERM

Here is another measure of the V1

Here is another measure of the V2

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #8,333 of 22,945
Hello all
I'm new and I decided to finally register an account. Been reading a lot about this thread, and I'm finally getting the SE846 tomorrow! Really excited!
Since I'm not like a super audiophile in terms of getting the best portable players, amps etc, I do DJ so I do care about music / sound quality, so I have a few questions since I'm not super technical:

1) I have a Pioneer DJM 900 nexus mixer (http://www.pioneerdjusa.com/gear.aspx?product=DJM-900nexus), and it stated that it has a[COLOR=999999] [/COLOR]"Built-in 24bit/96kHz high performance soundcard". If I play an audio file that's .wav with 24bit from the connected with the CDJ 2000 nexus via "Digital Out", can I enjoy high quality music with the Shure SE846?

Unfortunately, I only own the said equipment (CDJ 2000 and DJM 900) that has good sound quality... next:

2) Hows is the sound quality  for iPhone 6 + SE846 listening to 320kps .mp3 / 256kbps .m4a music?
3) What about the sound quality if SE846 is paired with an iPod 5.5 generation?

Of course, I'll gradually upgrade my gadgets, but these few questions are the ones I have in mind at the moment with the current devices I own.

Thank you for the help! I'm waiting for my ears to feel true euphoria tomorrow!

I just got a fresh pair of 846 here and I play it out my iPhone.

The sound quality is my favorite, compared to IE800 and the akg k3003. The IE800 was more "pretty." If you're looking for something that sounds pretty and sparkley.

The k3003 was actually quite amazing. It's lows didn't haul as much oomph compared to the 846, but had the same kind of darkness. The mids are balanced here, nothing special, but not lacking by any means. The shure mids completely blow them out the water, but are more in your face than the k3003

The for the highs. The ie800 are way to sparkley, but they're smooth. The AKG is just right, and are a hair under being considered harsh. its like your ears want to think they're harsh but they fail to become harsh and can be considered a strongpoint for the headphones

The shure highs could use a little brightness and sparkle, but they balance well with the other frequencies. So they're not lacking, but rather, not emphasizes.

When I was listening to the 846 I was making facial grimaces like I was making love. Lol. It's a great audio experience everything I use them. Only used them for a day, and am about to go hit the weight room with them. Can't wait!

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #8,334 of 22,945
  I got the P100s in today and had a chance to use them for a few hours. Unfortunately, I still prefer my Westone Star tips. The P100s makes the sound a little more full, and you're correct that it also rounds off the bass a bit, but you also lose bit of detail, specifically in the treble region. Guitars just don't sound as lively with the P100s. It does a great job of tempering mildly sibilant songs though, like Cat Power's Sea of Love, where sibilance has become a non-issue. Regardless, I'll still stick with the Star tips, that is until I get a chance to pick up a pair of custom sleeves. With that said, if anyone wants a set of these after market ear tips, send me a PM. I have a few sets of the Comply T & P series, & Westone Star Tips in large. I'll send you a pair via snail mail. 

Agreed. I actually prefer the overall sound of the Stars but for me the P100's are more relaxing, they give me a slightly better fit and are less likely to move around when eating, etc. and are a bit more comfortable. I'll probably just keep going back and forth between them. Pretty much done spending $ on tips as I think the Stars and the P100's are as good as it's going to get. Maybe one day, I'll bite the bullet and go for the SCS.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #8,335 of 22,945
Dec 16, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #8,336 of 22,945
I will just add that my vamp at 16 ohm, yes a mis match, actually sounds great through the 846, so while I may have less sharp roll off on the low super low end, there is no distortion, the sound stage is marvellous, im really not sure what the knock is. Maybe it's a bit darker for it, but hardly thin. My point only is the 846 is more ambidextrous in this regard than technically explainable.

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #8,338 of 22,945
  I posted this in reply to someone else earlier, but it should be applicable for you as well. 

I got mine from Headphone Lounge, but I had some issues with the sound cutting out in the beginning. I ended up having to pry the o-rings on the connectors to loosen them to achieve a good connection. With that said, the cable is well built. PlusSound is another option, and they're relatively cheap. There's also Whiplash, but they're by far the most expensive. warrior1975 owns their $500 reference cable and he loves it. I'll post links to the three brands I mentioned below, but there are others. Please note that the owner of headphone lounge is currently recovering from hip surgery, so I don't know how long it would take for you to get your cable.

http://plussoundaudio.com/customcables/inearmonitor.html

http://headphonelounge.com/in-ear-monitor-cables/

http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/headphone-cables.html

Just a question on your headphone lounge silver litz cable. What was your exact configuration set up? I'm having trouble distinguishing between the selection of connectors. Also, I don't see an option for silver litz, unless silver plated copper litz is what you're talking about.

Thanks man!

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #8,339 of 22,945
  do these IEM work for doing aerobics classes and doing squat thrusts and such?
confused.gif

Probably. I use the Shure SE535 for working out in the gym all the time, so I don't see a reason why the Shure SE846 won't be able to. I just won't do it because they are quite costly.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #8,340 of 22,945
Just a question on your headphone lounge silver litz cable. What was your exact configuration set up? I'm having trouble distinguishing between the selection of connectors. Also, I don't see an option for silver litz, unless silver plated copper litz is what you're talking about.

Thanks man!

Pure silver type 6 Litz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back