Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #5,986 of 22,954
  Guys, do these still sound great straight out of an iphone alone? I would be driving them out of an O2 at home, but they would see the most use on my commute, at the gym etc. 

Yes, the low impedance of the SE846 makes it a great match for most smartphones like the iPhone, and most every DAP out there as well such as the iPod Touch, etc.  I currently use it with the iPhone 5, and it sounds great.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5,987 of 22,954
Just to clarify, the low impedance can actually cause problems on a lot of phones. As moedawg said, the iPhone is great based in multiple reports, but for non iPhone users, the low impedance can cause frequency response issues like very rolled-off treble. My Lumia 930 is an awesome phone, but a poor match with the 8s.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #5,988 of 22,954
Just to clarify, the low impedance can actually cause problems on a lot of phones. As moedawg said, the iPhone is great based in multiple reports, but for non iPhone users, the low impedance can cause frequency response issues like very rolled-off treble. My Lumia 930 is an awesome phone, but a poor match with the 8s.

Correct.  Just yesterday a head-fier on this thread was experiencing hissing with Moto X smartphone paired with his SE846.  Maybe if there was some way to go to an Airport InMotion store (if you live in the U.S.) near you with your phone of choice and pair the SE846 with it to make sure there wasn't any unwarranted hissing/popping, etc.  It's always good to test out before you purchase if you can.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #5,990 of 22,954

Yes, the low impedance of the SE846 makes it a great match for most smartphones like the iPhone, and most every DAP out there as well such as the iPod Touch, etc.  I currently use it with the iPhone 5, and it sounds great.

While I have found that the 846 sound pretty great out of my iPhone 5 - there is still a congestion or shouty nature (mild) to the upper mids and treble that is notably absent when I use my DX90 - same files, same volume. On the other hand, the bass response is definitely affected when I use my Predator as a USB DAC/Amp out of my iMac - haven't been able to nail down the output impedance on the Predator, but I'd venture to say it is higher than a couple of ohms.... The 846 doesn't play well with high output impedance...

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #5,991 of 22,954
Guys, do these still sound great straight out of an iphone alone? I would be driving them out of an O2 at home, but they would see the most use on my commute, at the gym etc. 

Just a couple pages back on this thread, I posted a fairly in depth comparison of my iPhone 5s to the AK100 II ($900 dap). Obviously, those are just my findings and there would/will be other people who feel very different than me, but I thought it was very interesting what I found. IMO, the 846s sound great out of an iPhone (or at least the iPhone 5s)

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #5,992 of 22,954
So, I've decided to take the AK100 II back, it just wasn't worth it for me..... Really a shame considering how amazing it looks/feels and how generally polished of a product it is. I was really hoping it could be a good end game portable solution for me. *sigh* I'm still thinking that I might want something better than playing music straight out of my iPhone MIND YOU, based off my comparison with the AK100 II, my iPhone might be good enough already, and it may just be my upgrade-itous making me want "better".

Spook, I know that you use an RSA amp out of an iPod touch 5th gen to power your 8s, any input/advice from you would be much appreciated. How portable is your two device stack? Can you slip it in a pocket fairly easily? How is the ease of use?

I'm still planning on getting a HPL silver Litz cable, I'm just waiting to see if my main portable setup will be SE or balanced.

Input from anyone is always appreciated!

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #5,993 of 22,954
So, I've decided to take the AK100 II back, it just wasn't worth it for me..... Really a shame considering how amazing it looks/feels and how generally polished of a product it is. I was really hoping it could be a good end game portable solution for me. *sigh* I'm still thinking that I might want something better than playing music straight out of my iPhone MIND YOU, based off my comparison with the AK100 II, my iPhone might be good enough already, and it may just be my upgrade-itous making me want "better".

Spook, I know that you use an RSA amp out of an iPod touch 5th gen to power your 8s, any input/advice from you would be much appreciated. How portable is your two device stack? Can you slip it in a pocket fairly easily? How is the ease of use?

I'm still planning on getting a HPL silver Litz cable, I'm just waiting to see if my main portable setup will be SE or balanced.

Remember at this level you're paying for the small differences. $1000 won't get you as much as when you first started. But the AK DAPs are really overpriced though.

Some people love it, some people don't think it's worth it.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #5,994 of 22,954
Remember at this level you're paying for the small differences. $1000 won't get you as much as when you first started. But the AK DAPs are really overpriced though.

Some people love it, some people don't think it's worth it.

I'm running the 8s with the AK240 and I've had a smile on my face since day one.....☺️ I enjoyed them when I first got the 8s then once I went balanced I was like holy:flushed: "s**ke"......there's a difference yes...the background is ⚫️"Black" I went straight ALO copper cable 2.5 balanced....I do wish I had a 3 or four inch adapter plug that would allow me to use them in 3.5 unbalanced mode for when I want to just plug them into another device like my iPod but it's cool maybe someday :wink:...

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #5,995 of 22,954
You're right about the gasket between the nozzle and earpiece. The last time I changed filters I saw a few tiny pieces of black material on the counter-top when I finished. Now I wonder if the result is similar to a vent (as in not quite airtight). The bass has been a little weird lately and I wonder if this gasket issue plays a role.

WARNING: Here I go again with another hair-brain theory.

Since I returned to the black filters that came with this 846, I've changed the EQ in ways that I would have never imagined doing. I'm a bass boosting kinda guy. Now I have the bass (on the EQ) down almost 3db from zero and no other bass enhancement on at all. At one time I had the bass up 8db at 40Hz with the EQ flat at zero on Viper4Android. I think it could be possible that my need to decrease the bass is due to those gaskets not being tight. The overall tonality is also a little different. It's more live-like (more speaker-like).

I didn't reduce the bass because it was too much (or too heavy), but rather it was just washed out sounding. It needed to be lowered to restore control and deepness.

I wish I had a brand new 846 to compare too mine (with the worn gaskets). I must admit though, I'm not complaining about the way the 846 sounds right now. It's good (real good).

Yeah I have worn seals too I haven't noticed any sound difference as they have always sounded great...and I have a hard time living without things that I love I have thought about sending back to get another pair but I don't think I will for maybe a little while as if and when I do I would buy another pair to hold me over until they came back "grrrrr I did it with the iE800 when they had cable issues and now I'm sitting on two pair "with no cable issues :blush:" but they're just in the case as I always use the 8s now ....I don't think the gasket would degrade the sound as I believe it's funneled straight through up the filter and tube...I think the gasket is more for stability of the tube and to also keep the elements out as well as maybe allowing a slight give with the tube and main body...but I could be wrong :wink:

Sep 9, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #5,996 of 22,954

I replied to to your PM but I thought I would post here as well to any other helpless Meat Puppets of our A.I. Overlords who are interested or just like to look at the pretty pictures.

1. As you can see from the pictures at the bottom, with right angle interconnects and a custom Kobiconn/RSA plug (both made by Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge) it is very easy to put my rig in my pocket or outer pouch in my briefcase. Also, I use 3M scotch fasteners to hold the amplifier to the iPod Touch so no rubber bands to block the DAPs touch screen. I have a slim case on the iPod but the fastener is attached directly to my amplifier. If I ever wanted to remove it that would scratch the case of the amp but as I never plan on doing that I do not care.

2. It is a very easy to use set up. Without commenting on the sound (which is excellent), the iPod touch has the best user interface of any DAP on the market and there are plenty of applications allowing you to play FLAC and ALAC files. If 64GB is enough storage for your portable use at the current price in the US of $300 you cannot go wrong.

3. I currently use the RSA F-35 Lightning but also own the RSA The Protector. If you read the RSA Lighting thread it describes the sound as "a line with a gain". No coloration just a superb balanced amp with a black hole quiet background. One word of caution, if you plan on using your amp with other headphone you own single output do not buy the Lighting. It is balanced ONLY. After owning the Protector, I knew I had no interest in ever going back to single output so I chose the RSA Lighting. If you want versitility, get the RSA SR-71B. The 71B has both single and balanced outputs.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #5,998 of 22,954
Hi, your Protector + Balanced Silver cable mean?
The shure 846 original cable is not that good?

No it is not.

My portable rig is an iPod Touch 5th generation(64GB with only ALAC/FLAC files) --> Reference silver litz interconnects with Oyaide right angle plugs --> RSA F-35 Lightning amplifier --> Headphone Lounge Reference silver litz cables with a balanced Kobiconn carbon fiber termination--> SE846.

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #5,999 of 22,954
No it is not.

My portable rig is an iPod Touch 5th generation(64GB with only ALAC/FLAC files) --> Reference silver litz interconnects with Oyaide right angle plugs --> RSA F-35 Lightning amplifier --> Headphone Lounge Reference silver litz cables with a balanced Kobiconn carbon fiber termination--> SE846.

Wow looks like kind of complicated LOL~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back