Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #5,927 of 22,954
The 8s have renewed my faith in BA drivers. I was convinced dynamic drivers were better. I still think hybrids might be best, maybe shure can work on a hybrid setup.

Maybe, Shure has tested a hybrid setup (as well as a high-quality dynamic setup) and came to the conclusion (so far) that BA drivers are better for their particular application(s). 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #5,928 of 22,954
Oh... I didn't know that. I still love what they did. I'm still amazed at what they done with only 4 drivers. They bested my Heir 8.0, and give my Ref1 a run for their money. Not sure about the G2 yet... I've been neglecting them.

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #5,929 of 22,954
Hey guys, recently got the ER4PT and I absolutely love the sound coming out of them. Especially the clarity. I also feel the bass is just right. 

Does the SE846 improve on every aspect of the ER4PT? or does it sound completely different?  i'm asking because I noticed the se846 have quad balanced armature drivers. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #5,930 of 22,954
I see alot of bashing of the ie800s here. I have the ie800 and I absolutely love how they sound. They are very similar to my Fostex TH900 in sound signature. I have ordered the SE846 and will have them in three days. It would be great if the 8s sounded MUCH better than my ie800, but I seriosly doubt it. But I haven´t heard them yet, so I´m very exited to find out for myself.

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #5,931 of 22,954
I see alot of bashing of the ie800s here. I have the ie800 and I absolutely love how they sound. They are very similar to my Fostex TH900 in sound signature. I have ordered the SE846 and will have them in three days. It would be great if the 8s sounded MUCH better than my ie800, but I seriosly doubt it. But I haven´t heard them yet, so I´m very exited to find out for myself.
You'll be bashing the ie800 the minute you put the 846 in your ears.

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #5,932 of 22,954
  Hey guys, recently got the ER4PT and I absolutely love the sound coming out of them. Especially the clarity. I also feel the bass is just right. 

Does the SE846 improve on every aspect of the ER4PT? or does it sound completely different?  i'm asking because I noticed the se846 have quad balanced armature drivers. 

I've never heard the ER4PT (and likely will never hear it), but I can still say with confidence that your earphone search is over (or should be). I say this because if (as you say) you “absolutely love the sound” and the “bass is just right” then that's it. There is no improvement to be found from another earphone.

Go enjoy your music and don't look back.

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #5,933 of 22,954

Truckdriver brings up an excellent point... Now a different view, and a it may cost your more money, is that he may be right, but if you don't try other things you will never know. My first real IEM I thought was amazing, I never heard anything like it at the time... Now, only several months later, I won't put them in my ears and I absolutely loved them. Ignorance can be bliss... Or you can try other phones and see if the ER4PT really are the best. If you don't try others, they absolutely will be the best to your ears, which is certainly not a bad thing.

Beware my point of view could end up being extremely costly and of course never ending because there will always be something new, different, better, or worse...although by you asking the question you asked, it already sounds like you are looking for better...best of luck in you search, I hope it ends for you where you are!! :blush:

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #5,934 of 22,954
I don't see that the BA's or the dynamic drivers are better, I listened to really bad BA's & really good BA's same thing to dynamics.

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #5,935 of 22,954
I am seriously considering purchasing the SE846 but would like to get input on their "staying power" when working out, i.e.: the potential for them to lose their seal. My current Klipsches which are very good IEMs use silicone tips which lose their seal when my ear canals sweat....Any thoughts on this?

Thank you,
Scott

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #5,937 of 22,954
Well, I could not read al the 396 pages.. but Ive read some complains regarding channel imbalance.  Mine is getting into the same problem, the left earbud is getting a weak bass if compared to right one. Ive tried to clean the nozzle, change the tips, no results so far. I think Im gonna send it back to Shure and wait =/

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #5,939 of 22,954
  Also, one other question for those that have owned the 846s, was there a period of time necessary to get used to the over-the-ear fit?

If you have not tried over ear fit like Shures, I highly recommend you try.  The stage monitoring fits like the Shure have much advantage over other phones in terms of micro-phonics for portable use or on movement.  Also the way the housing sits on the ear is very beneficial in keeping it from movement unlike other iems that do not adhere to the ear which moves and shifts loosening the fit which can cause FR degradation as you move around.  This is probably the reason why the Shures and Westones use BA(More flexability in the shape of the housing), and designed the ergonomics the way they did.

Sep 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #5,940 of 22,954
Yeah, my main problem with my Klipsches is that lose their seal. In fact if I simply smile, I guess the ear canal changes shape and the seal is lost which, as you mentioned, seriously degrades the sound (mainly bass). Its a big problem as the primary use of IEMs for me is when I'm working out, which causes movement but also sweating....So perhaps the combination of over-ear and foam inserts would do a lot to alleviate my issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back