Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #4,036 of 22,954
  Just got a set of 846's today, and I'm loving what I'm hearing. But I've noticed quite alot of hissing when connected to the Chord Hugo, and also abit of hissing even when connected to an iphone. To be honest, I'm not sure if what I'm hearing would be regarded by most as hissing. In any case, however, the background is not black and silent as I hoped it might be. Is this normal?

EDIT: Sorry, I made a mistake. Iphone and Ipod are fine: nice silent background. It's just the MBP + Hugo + 846 = significant background noise/hiss 

I have been using my 846 with: Dx100, Dx50 and Fiio X3 and X5 and never heard any hiss. I have borrowed various top portable amps and also I have not heard hiss. BTW I do not think the 846 neds an amp.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #4,037 of 22,954
  I have been using my 846 with: Dx100, Dx50 and Fiio X3 and X5 and never heard any hiss. I have borrowed various top portable amps and also I have not heard hiss. BTW I do not think the 846 neds an amp.

Well, I'm getting some very obvious hiss/background noise with Hugo 
triportsad.gif

I wonder if there are any other head-fiers who are driving the 846 with Hugo could chip in? 

The 846 does sound pretty stellar unamped, however, I do notice a smoother midrange and wider soundstage with the 846 amped with the Hugo.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #4,040 of 22,954
  Might work with other Shure models?

Sensaphonics told me the SCS for the 8s are not compatible to other Shure models. The SCS for 5on down are interchangeable between them.

I also think there is something on this on Sensaphonics website.

It has something to do with the size of the shell for the 8s and how the nozzle orients

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #4,045 of 22,954
The more and more I read this thread the more it seems like a cult.

Didn't Monty (your supposed friend) explain we are all helpless Meat Puppets serving our AI overlords. Or are you an agent of Goldstein and the Simians? If you have to ask that question, clearly you have not accepted the ascendancy of your 8s as you should.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #4,046 of 22,954
Volume is way down on the amp. Strange thing is, the level of background noise doesnt seem to change with volume adjustment. 

What DAP are you using? Amplifiers can be very sensitive to radio frequency interference like a mobile phone. If I get my iPhone within a few feet of my RSA Lighting I pick up the RF interference.

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #4,047 of 22,954
Just got a set of 846's today, and I'm loving what I'm hearing. But I've noticed quite alot of hissing when connected to the Chord Hugo, and also abit of hissing even when connected to an iphone. To be honest, I'm not sure if what I'm hearing would be regarded by most as hissing. In any case, however, the background is not black and silent as I hoped it might be. Is this normal?

EDIT: Sorry, I made a mistake. Iphone and Ipod are fine: nice silent background. It's just the MBP + Hugo + 846 = significant background noise/hiss 

My loan ex-demo Hugo unit (now posted off) had hiss through SE846 when no music was playing. This disappeared in all but the most quiet passages of songs.

Would not however describe it as "a lot" of hiss. By virtue you cannot hear hiss when music playing it cannot be described as "a lot". See for example Fiio amps which are quite hissy with a variety of iem in my experience.

Due to the status of the unit it is difficult to say further and I am informed by a dealer they do not encounter hiss with their later build demo unit

Jul 7, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #4,048 of 22,954
I heard hiss thru the 846 with the FiiO X3, HiFiMAN HM-802, and Sony ZX1. There is no hiss with the iBasso DX90, iPod Touch (or any Apple DAP), and none with the Note 3 (when used with the attenuator). The X3 may have been the worst (followed by the HM-802 with standard amp card). The ZX1 was slight.

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #4,049 of 22,954
  I heard hiss thru the 846 with the FiiO X3, HiFiMAN HM-802, and Sony ZX1. There is no hiss with the iBasso DX90, iPod Touch (or any Apple DAP), and none with the Note 3 (when used with the attenuator). The X3 may have been the worst (followed by the HM-802 with standard amp card). The ZX1 was slight.

Amazing how some hear hiss on the same units I have and I dont hear any hiss. I used the 801 many times and I am using the X3 with the 846 daily for 2 hrs a day and have yet to hear any hiss. Well I have not heard any hiss on any of my earphones. Crossing Fingers now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back