Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #2,492 of 22,954
You might consider one from left field - a universal version of 1964 Ears V8... $775 for a little while longer - then $875.00

May 16, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,493 of 22,954
I have not found an IEM better than the SE846 :)  I just can't use IEMs because my ear canals are weak sauce.  

If the fit was better, I think the IE800 would have been my first choice but they could never stay in my ear.  I preferred the Tralucent 1Plus2 over the FitEar 334.

Sorry for the bitchin'!  I started with a non-FreqPhase JH16 Pro and I probably should have just stuck with it.  The potential for ear pain is another reason why you might consider a custom over a universal IEM.

May 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #2,494 of 22,954

Which of the (foam) Start Tips are you using?.
I am very tempted to order up the "red" size tips as they are longer and I have always felt that there was room in my ears for the Comply or Shure tips to go further in my ear. At the same time I am concerned that the "red" Star Tips they may go too deep - al la Triple Flange. I find the Medium Shure olives give a great seal and beefier bass than the Comply Mediums are more comfortable for wear periods longer than thirty minutes.

I don't want to buy a mixed bag of sizes and be stuck with another bunch superfluous tips. Its not the wasting of the money so much as I have an ever growing collection of superfluous tips from all my Shures  -E3s, 530s (RIP), SE535 and now the SE846) Silicone, Olives (sml and Lg) and the eternally painful Triple Flange. I just don't want to add to that for no reason.

The Red tips at a about 4+mm longer than the Comply and the  diameter (12.6mm) is about the same as the Comply (12.45mm) but narrower than the Shure Med Olive (13mm). The Silicone Star Tips (Red) are a bit narrower and Shorter than the Foam Star-Fit/True-Fit but I have never liked the seal silicone provides over the Olive and Comply foam. That Black sized Star-Fit/True-Fit are almost identical to the Comply Medium and I still have a few "fresh"pair of those

I have been working on the assumption that a deeper insertion with give me even better fuller (if that is possible) sound hence my interest in the Red size. However I could just be inviting the kind of pain that the Triple Flange do (Like Jamming a Q-Tip into your ear - not a happy feeling).

TIA

May 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #2,495 of 22,954
If you have a westone dealer nearby, they normally have an assortment of demo (unused) tips you can try to find that magical fit. Big airports normally have a westone dealer or two.

Regarding the multi-pack. For 15 bucks, it was worth buying the big pack. Getting an ideal fit was worth it for me. Next time, I know exactly what replacement tips I need.

Also, I like the silicon star tips better than the foam star tips. They are even more comfortable and I get an airtight seal. YMMV.

May 16, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #2,498 of 22,954
truckdriver: Yah, I am gradually managing to coax the wire into a favourable position. One of those teething problems I suppose. Sennheiser and Shure. Both feature entirely different styles with the former being easier on the ears (wearing the IE8s felt like wearing nothing at all). It takes a bit of getting used to wearing IEMs of the Shure and Earsonics design type.

rmiller51: Both the IE800s and Shure SE846 boast great bass, but the latter does it bigger (Texas bigger) and slightly better. Impact and sub bass is huge from the 846. The 800s did not slam nearly as much as I desired.

The intro the Iron Maiden's "When the Wild Wind Blows" (a big bass guitar part) sounds equally lush, rich and butter scotch warm in both; there isn't much in it (the contest). Caspa & Rusko's FabricLive mix left me in wanting when heard through the IE800s, but the SE846s' immense sub bass delivery is well up to the task of representing what this sort of music is really meant to sound like. Then there's the conclusion to "The Rebel Faction" by Primal Fear that really goes "whomph!!!" The IE800s blew me away when I first experienced this, however it became clear later that this impact had a real airy quality to it. The SE846s meanwhile delivered the same impact but this time it was less shall we say airborne - more at ground level.

Someone said the bass sounds boxed in or words to that effect; perhaps it's not to their liking, but the bass delivery from these puppies has kept me wowed and entertained since day dot. As daft as it might sound, it wasn't until about 18 months of owning the IE8s that I stopped feeling the wow factor and yearned for bigger and better. For some reason the IE800s veneer waned quickly (probably because of seldom present sub bass) however I feel that the SE846s will keep me impressed for a good while yet.

In terms of detail there is not much to pick between them.

I must say that verbalising the qualities of both is a very tall task!

Tall task, maybe, but so very appreciated.

I am still in the 'evaluation' period so I will save most of my impression/comparison comments for later.  I do appreciate the comparison, though.  I was very curious. 

My concern, being an incurable bass addict, was feeling cheated after spending a grand based on the 846s reputation for incredible bass.  The 846s represent the best bass I have ever heard.  I cannot see ANY hardcore basshead not having the same sentiments, or even worse, being disappointed.  The 846 bass is everything:  tight, impactful, deep, omnipresent, menacing, powerful and as an added bonus, handles the most taxing bass songs - songs that cripple other bassy IEMs - perfectly well and with complete authority - as if to say 'is that all you got?'.

I have heard the same criticisms about the bass being too 'dry' and lacking the full body sound rendered by a capable DD and I think the descriptions are an inadequate use of the language.  My previous weapon of choice, prior to the 846s,  was the MG7s I so dearly love.  I am unaware any IEM bass being better than the Atrios.  They represent my first real experience with a true 'in-ear' subwoofer of impeccable depth, resilience, quality...and always in huge supply.  And what I can tell you from my few days of 846 ownership is that yes, the bass between the two is different.  Not so much in quantity as in interpretation.  Comparatively speaking, the Atrios could be described as having a fuller body with richer resonance overall, but that is because the 846 BA bass (in my opinion) is more accurate and tighter than the DD bass of the Atrios.  I saw the same qualities in the westones dual BA bass drivers, just in a lot less quantity, but then that was westones goal...accuracy.  It was this reason that the 846 bass kind of took me aback when I first heard it.  For one thing, I didn't know how to 'listen' to it, so to speak.  But it didn't take long to learn and once I became accustomed to it, I began to like it.  A lot.  And now, some 3 days later, I'm loving it.  A lot.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the 846s bass interpretations of all my favorite bass centric music.  It's like having a second opinion.  But to say one bass is better than the other is something I cannot do. I love them both.  What I will say is I heavily favor the 846s, but I believe that is because with the 846, I get it all - Bass that challenges the MG7s while at the same time, enjoying mids and highs that surpass the best the westones had to offer.  While the Atrio mids and highs are good (some would even go so far to say 'very good', I being one of them) they are far removed form the quality the 846s have achieved. 

The 846s have changed the way I listen to music - cured me of bassheadness, in a way. I love bass.  To me, there is nothing more incredible that the deep, penetrating sound of good bass - be it a kick, drum, a cello, quitar...whatever.  So, that has how I listened to music - with the focus placed on the bass, through boosting and EQing and tip selection.  With the 846s, I find myself turning the bass down (way down).  Just slightly elevated from flat, to be exact, so that the bass does not distract my enjoyment of the incredible mids and highs the 846 produces.  I mean, the detail and clarity of the mids and highs on these things are as incredible to listen to as the bass, so I keep it balanced, more or less, and as a result, I can hear every single mistake a musician makes.  I can hear a wood chair creak when someone in the studio shifts his weight.  I can even (get this) finally understand what Eddie Vetter is actually singing.  I mean, the actual words!  And of course, being a W4R owner, this is something I am accustomed to, but not all in the same package....at the same time!  It is a wonderful experience.

So, for those that would criticize the 846 bass, I would say it was more a statement as to their personal taste and preference in how they like bass to sound.  I have been to far too many live performances to say that the bass the 846 produces is not accurate or realistic.  No one is saying that you have to wear the same clothes, like the same food, practice the same politics.....or listen to the same bass I do.  By the same token, no one is going to tell me that the way I like music to sound is wrong.  To each his own.

But make no mistake - there is a difference between making an observation and rendering a criticism, and some people tend to forget this.

Thanks for taking the time to make the comparison with the IE800.  I appreciate it as much as I enjoyed it.

May 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #2,500 of 22,954
  I have not found an IEM better than the SE846 :)  I just can't use IEMs because my ear canals are weak sauce.  

If the fit was better, I think the IE800 would have been my first choice but they could never stay in my ear.  I preferred the Tralucent 1Plus2 over the FitEar 334.

Sorry for the bitchin'!  I started with a non-FreqPhase JH16 Pro and I probably should have just stuck with it.  The potential for ear pain is another reason why you might consider a custom over a universal IEM.

Have you tried a custom?

May 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,501 of 22,954

DX90 is way better than the Fiio x5, and it doesn't hiss! The downside is that it only has 1 SD slot and I don't think you can use it as a DAC yet.
Just putting this out there just in case people are still looking for a DAP in the ~$400 range. :)

May 17, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2,502 of 22,954

Which of the (foam) Start Tips are you using?.
I am very tempted to order up the "red" size tips as they are longer and I have always felt that there was room in my ears for the Comply or Shure tips to go further in my ear. At the same time I am concerned that the "red" Star Tips they may go too deep - al la Triple Flange. I find the Medium Shure olives give a great seal and beefier bass than the Comply Mediums are more comfortable for wear periods longer than thirty minutes.

I don't want to buy a mixed bag of sizes and be stuck with another bunch superfluous tips. Its not the wasting of the money so much as I have an ever growing collection of superfluous tips from all my Shures  -E3s, 530s (RIP), SE535 and now the SE846) Silicone, Olives (sml and Lg) and the eternally painful Triple Flange. I just don't want to add to that for no reason.

The Red tips at a about 4+mm longer than the Comply and the  diameter (12.6mm) is about the same as the Comply (12.45mm) but narrower than the Shure Med Olive (13mm). The Silicone Star Tips (Red) are a bit narrower and Shorter than the Foam Star-Fit/True-Fit but I have never liked the seal silicone provides over the Olive and Comply foam. That Black sized Star-Fit/True-Fit are almost identical to the Comply Medium and I still have a few "fresh"pair of those

I have been working on the assumption that a deeper insertion with give me even better fuller (if that is possible) sound hence my interest in the Red size. However I could just be inviting the kind of pain that the Triple Flange do (Like Jamming a Q-Tip into your ear - not a happy feeling).

TIA

The longer tips don't give a clean sound as oppose to the shorter ones, I think InnerFidelity explains it well, search "Preparing Comply Tips for Insertion" on youtube.

I usually use medium tips silicon or foam, but it found the small, short (green) true fit tips best, the foam is rather stiff, so the smaller size is more comfortable.

May 17, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #2,503 of 22,954
rmiller511: You're most welcome. :) I quite enjoyed reading your experIences as well: especially since I am a former Atrio M5 owner. I am very curious as to how their next level IEMs sound having read your take on them.

For those who do not enjoy the SE846' bass, it's your loss. :p The bass is that damn good (along with everything else) it is now possible to admit to being a basshead a lot less ashamedly. Bass is an important part of music, no less so than any other element, and it has been this way since the classical era (octobass, anyone?).

I am in the same boat as you in so much as the SE846s have changed the way in which I experience certain music. Some songs take on a completely different character and I wonder if I am now hearing what the artist intended me to hear (and experience).

Between the 800s and these, listening to metal is a similarly intense experience, however the 800s have a sound signature that I daresay is rather too "clean" for the job. If anyone is lurking the forum, looking for encouragement to pull the trigger: if metal is your number one thing, take note! Interestingly, there is a point during the solo within Machine Head's "The Frontlines" (The More Things Change is a seriously seething, angry and above all underrated album by the way) that sees the 800s "drop out". Very odd. The 846s, meanwhile, handle what is an intense audio attack with greater accuracy.

They deliver the metal experience with undeniable authority and intent; not to mention the sound signature that brings to life all that heavy distortion.

I must also, in part, rescind my earlier statement regarding the 846s kindness toward compressed audio. Radio recordings are particularly difficult to enjoy as the flawed audio is properly revealed. This attests to the quality of the 846s sound, therefore this is not a bad thing in and of itself; in fact old recordings like those by John Lee Hooker take on a great character. Other compressed audio (much of my electronica collection is 320 mp3) sounds great, but of course would sound really great in lossless.

And before I waffle on any further, The Dark Side of the Moon + Shure SE846s + a glass of Rogue Double Chocolate stout = utter sensory indulgement. And why not profoundly indulge those senses that are not profoundly impaired (as is the case with my eyesight)? :).

May 17, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #2,504 of 22,954
I find Comply foamies to be awful, just awful. Not an indichtment, just my experience with them.

I recall buying them for my Atrio M5 as I was having all sorts of problems with their stock foamies. Never mind that I wore them cable down (oh how naive I was way back when!). I ended up selling the M5s as a result. Shame, too, as they were from memory an awesome IEM that are quite probably better than the IE8.

May 17, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #2,505 of 22,954
I find Comply foamies to be awful, just awful. Not an indichtment, just my experience with them.

I recall buying them for my Atrio M5 as I was having all sorts of problems with their stock foamies. Never mind that I wore them cable down (oh how naive I was way back when!). I ended up selling the M5s as a result. Shame, too, as they were from memory an awesome IEM that are quite probably better than the IE8.

I agree the comply foams are crap, but the newer westone truefit foams are much better, also the way you insert them is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back