Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Jul 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #1,591 of 3,218
Some like to re-litigate earphone commentary. I (myself) like to re-litigate statements made by two-term U.S. presidents who served in my lifetime. For example, “I will close Gitmo”. ---“Iraq has amassed some of the world's most dangerous weapons”.--- “I did not have sex with that woman”.--- “I did not trade arms for hostages”. ---“I am not a crook”.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #1,592 of 3,218
Some like to re-litigate earphone commentary. I (myself) like to re-litigate statements made by two-term U.S. presidents who served in my lifetime. For example, “I will close Gitmo”. ---“Iraq has amassed some of the world's most dangerous weapons”.--- “I did not have sex with that woman”.--- “I did not trade arms for hostages”. ---“I am not a crook”.

How could you forget "We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves."

Jul 25, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #1,593 of 3,218
When my JH16 pro's arrive I'll see how good my "luck" is at getting the same sound quality. In fact I'll go out of my way to find some SE846's to compare with.

Second point, I don't know what you're talking about with your "sanded vinyl", since most CIEM's are made from Acrylic and Silicone. As far as there's nothing exciting going on in CIEM's, I'd like to see you fit 8 BA drivers in an earpiece and have them be phase coherent.

Well, I didn't write the review but I think that's interesting the emphasis that the reviewer put on the new technology of the low pass filter that it's a different approach to the problem of have several drivers in phase and that's avoiding the overlapping in frequency range. We'll see when they'll be launched and reviews from all kind of listeners be available.

Jul 25, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #1,595 of 3,218
Quote:
How could you forget "We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves."

That was a good one, spook76.

I'd say, LBJ was technically a two-term guy (though only elected once as president). Technically, LBJ was presiding in my lifetime, but likely made that statement before I was a twinkle in my old man's eye.

Speaking of birth-dates, the release date of the SE846 is tentatively early August. I wouldn't be surprised if there's yet another delay. This hobby is all about patience. Come on FiiO X5....or should I get the V-Moda DAC/amp thingy to pair with the SE846?

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #1,598 of 3,218
Quote:
I found this review that sounds very interesting: "Far superior sound than the custom earphones both my wife and I own that cost over $1,200. So yes, the argument about: "for that price I can get a custom" does not stick. Good luck getting the same experience and sound quality from a custom. It won't happen. The SE846 and its low pass filter have nothing to do with a "custom" earphones where you are basically paying a premium because they were made after your ear canal mold but nothing really exciting going on inside that sanded vinyl piece. Aside from the fact that you cannot resell your custom earphones. Furthermore, the SE846 is NOT about adding more drivers and putting a higher price tag on it. It's about delivering an experience and sound quality that you do not have from anything else being manufactured out there. Nothing comes close to the sound of the SE846. I'm very careful with what I write. I know thousands of our customers are hardcore audiophiles and I don't sign my name on something I don't honestly, fully believe in. I'm 100% convinced you have not listened to anything like the SE846, unless you have listened to one."
http://m.earphonesolutions.com/shure-se846-review-earphone-solutions.html?more=true

Now I'm curious what cIEM you and your wife own. It's interesting that you assume all cIEMs around $1000 have the same SQ, even though you own just one. I'm confident there are cIEMs for that price that are as good as these uIEMs if not better. I haven't heard any of them though, but I've read some amazing things on cIEMs like the JH13Pro FreqPhase. These cIEMs can match the SQ of many high end full sized open headphones. To say the SE846 is much better than JH13s would mean they are better than any open full sized heaphone...
Also, the shure IEM body is pretty big, it will not fit in my ear. Would be pretty useless for me to buy it!

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #1,599 of 3,218
Now I'm curious what cIEM you and your wife own. It's interesting that you assume all cIEMs around $1000 have the same SQ, even though you own just one. I'm confident there are cIEMs for that price that are as good as these uIEMs if not better. I haven't heard any of them though, but I've read some amazing things on cIEMs like the JH13Pro FreqPhase. These cIEMs can match the SQ of many high end full sized open headphones. To say the SE846 is much better than JH13s would mean they are better than any open full sized heaphone...
Also, the shure IEM body is pretty big, it will not fit in my ear. Would be pretty useless for me to buy it!

From what I gather it seems he is in the business of selling iems including the se846. Not surprising to see him blowing some exaggerated horns to increase some sales. There are already a few people who has demo sets and have compared them to customs, and while it is a definite big jump over the se535, to say nothing comes close to the se846 is a whole load of bulls crap..
I rather trust moderate down to earth reviews from non biased forumers with no interest or affliation.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #1,600 of 3,218
Quote:
From what I gather it seems he is in the business of selling iems including the se846. Not surprising to see him blowing some exaggerated horns to increase some sales. There are already a few people who has demo sets and have compared them to customs, and while it is a definite big jump over the se535, to say nothing comes close to the se846 is a whole load of bulls crap..
I rather trust moderate down to earth reviews from non biased forumers with no interest or affliation.

Well that would explain that post. He was right about some things though, uIEMs have some definite benefits over cIEMs. But only if your ear shape is average, mine isn't unfortunately.
I got a chance to listen to the SE535s, wasn't that impressed to be honest. I owned the SE425, wow, awful, just awful. I now own the tdk BA200 universals, they are the first uIEMs that actually fit my ears, and they sound great. Especially for the price. But I'm in the process of ordering the BA4 custom model from cosmic ears. I'm fairly confident the BA4s will come close, if not match the SQ of the SE846, and that for just €320.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,601 of 3,218
Quote:
Well that would explain that post. He was right about some things though, uIEMs have some definite benefits over cIEMs. But only if your ear shape is average, mine isn't unfortunately.
I got a chance to listen to the SE535s, wasn't that impressed to be honest. I owned the SE425, wow, awful, just awful. I now own the tdk BA200 universals, they are the first uIEMs that actually fit my ears, and they sound great. Especially for the price. But I'm in the process of ordering the BA4 custom model from cosmic ears. I'm fairly confident the BA4s will come close, if not match the SQ of the SE846, and that for just €320.

really? i kind of liked the se535 though... but i ended up with FI-BA-SB instead lol.
I did buy a custom just recently, well kind of... i actually requested for a universal custom =D
So i ended up with a universal V6 instead, and i have to say the fitting and sound quality is in a different league compared to all the universals i've tried, i.e- westone, shures, sony, etc. 
However i have not tried against the highest UIEM line like IE800, AK3003 and TG334 yet.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #1,602 of 3,218
Quote:
Well, I didn't write the review but I think that's interesting the emphasis that the reviewer put on the new technology of the low pass filter that it's a different approach to the problem of have several drivers in phase and that's avoiding the overlapping in frequency range. We'll see when they'll be launched and reviews from all kind of listeners be available.

I have been in contact with Shure and unless the marketing is badly informed, the tube is nothing revolutionary at all. Most importantly, it is no technological improvement.
Actually many universal multi-BA designs use different tube lengths because they have no choice with the limited space in the housing. This is what causes phase-shifts in the first place. What Shure is doing now is to call it a feature and make the tube extra long. It's impossible this will yield in a linear bass response. It's a deliberate phase-shift that - as impressions try to explain - is being hid behind emphasis.

From the implementation and marketing, it is what Shure calls it: a subwoofer.
If you listen to your music in a surround sound system and enable the subwoofer, then you will probably enjoy the "revolution" inside the SE846. But if you are true to the term high fidelity, the whole design is a big flaw.

But then again, there's nothing wrong with fun from time to time. It doesn't always have to be "hifi". But thinking the SE846 is "better" than true CIEM monitors is probably a little too enthusiastic and I can already tell that this will cause quite some controversy in the community.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #1,603 of 3,218
Quote:

really? i kind of liked the se535 though... but i ended up with FI-BA-SB instead lol.
I did buy a custom just recently, well kind of... i actually requested for a universal custom =D
So i ended up with a universal V6 instead, and i have to say the fitting and sound quality is in a different league compared to all the universals i've tried, i.e- westone, shures, sony, etc. 
However i have not tried against the highest UIEM line like IE800, AK3003 and TG334 yet.

Those V6s are pretty amazing looking. So is it just a body, with a custom sleeve on it? 
The SE535 lacked clarity imo, and just wasn't really much better than the TDK BA200. The SE535s are expensive too, for the same amount of money you can buy 4 driver custom in ears...

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #1,604 of 3,218
There won't be further delay, at least in my market. Initial quantity would be small but it is definitely going to be available in early Aug to the public. And there are also folks who have it in their possession already.

Be sure to trust your own impression and not the marketing hype. As mentioned in my earlier impression it is a big step up from 535 and is competent especially with better cables to improve speed and transient response.

At this price bracket, choices are really down to personal subjective preference. Looking forward to all your impression soon.

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #1,605 of 3,218
There won't be further delay, at least in my market. Initial quantity would be small but it is definitely going to be available in early Aug to the public. And there are also folks who have it in their possession already.

Be sure to trust your own impression and not the marketing hype. As mentioned in my earlier impression it is a big step up from 535 and is competent especially with better cables to improve speed and transient response.

At this price bracket, choices are really down to personal subjective preference. Looking forward to all your impression soon.

Can you or anyone else explain to me how a cable can improve driver speed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back