Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Nov 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #2,236 of 3,218
can't people here accept the fact that KFKI thinks that it's not worth it $500 more than the 535 and this is coming from someone who really wanted an excuse to buy it I even sold my heir 4.A and 8.A in search of the ultimate universal iem but to this this day I have not found a good excuse to get the 846 based on the reviews, by the way the 535 was my first high-end iem and sold it and may buy another one and wait until the next big thing in universals comes around.

Nobody has a problem with that. Hell, if he didn't think it was worth upgrading from the Brainwavz delta I still would not care. Again, please re-read what I and others have said. We are confused by the reported difference in sound signature, not his value evaluation.

If I said I don't think it's worth upgrading from the Sennheiser CX400 to the ER4P because the ER4P has less clarity then I think most people who had heard both would be confused.

If I said I don't think it's worth upgrading from the BA-200 to the ASG-2 because the ASG-2 doesn't have enough bass compared to the BA200 then I think people who heard both would be very confused as well.

Nobody here is accusing kfki of being dishonest, having misplaced priorities or bad judgement. I do not blame anyone who thinks they should not upgrade. However, when someone reports a very big discrepancy in sound which contradicts what everyone else has heard - as well as the frequency response chart - then yes, there is confusion and an interest in figuring out what is going on.

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #2,238 of 3,218
I think kfki is mainly saying the difference isn't worth the extra cost to her/him, that's all. The point where that statement turns into "these are junk" or "Shure is cheating us" is what we're objecting to, as it's trying to universalize a single opinion as directive to the rest of us "not to be fooled."

sound can be very subjective, so i'm not saying they don't worth the extra 500 bucks but what i really meant is that to me they don't worth the extra 500 bucks.
hey beauty is the eye of the beholder, if you enjoy it, why the heck not?

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #2,239 of 3,218

looking on the bright side, I once read this by another headfier about how you can save tonnes of money if your ears really can't hear the difference .... but most importantly having what you feels is best for your ears.... but always be open to new experience

On a side note, I personally feel that when it comes auditioning any audio equipment one should never let price influence what they feel about it. Listen through your ears analyse it with both you mind and heart.... enjoy it .... price should only be a factor whether you buy it or not .... this is because value base on price is very subjective depending on personality and background ... eg how a rich spender person will always feel everything is cheap on the other hand a rich but stingy person will feel that everything is expensive. Price is only to help you decide if you are to buy it or not and not to judge its performance

so you're saying when you go shopping, you never once look at its price tag and decide whether to make a purchase or not. just by experiencing it, then decide, wow that's a bold move! 

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #2,242 of 3,218

so you're saying when you go shopping, you never once look at its price tag and decide whether to make a purchase or not. just by experiencing it, then decide, wow that's a bold move! 

My dear friend I ended off with price should be used to decided if you want to buy the product not to judge a product ... as worth of product is very subjective ... quoting myself "Price is only to help you decide if you are to buy it or not and not to judge its performance"  .... main point is that when you're judging a product's performance ignore the price and just enjoy  ... judge it with what you hear what you feel .... use your senses .... and that is what i always do when I shop .... regardless what i'm buying I try first see if I like it then i look at the price to see if i feel its worth it to buy or not .... in what way is that a bold move ???? 

Seems to me like you're losing your cool. Take it easy man :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #2,243 of 3,218
Music is always more precise than words. :)

I get what you're saying: there's a particular kind of presence to the bass in the 535 that you don't find in the 846.

My Sennheiser HD650s as open-air headphones I suspect are similar to the SE846 (though of course different due to being headphones), or what you're trying to say about them: the bass is heard, is distinct, deep, precise, but doesn't have the force you'd get in closed-back headphones.

Still think you're exaggerating the difference, but you hear what you hear, and we can't tell you your experience is wrong: we're not you. :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2,244 of 3,218

My dear friend I ended off with price should be used to decided if you want to buy the product not to judge a product ... as worth of product is very subjective ... quoting myself "Price is only to help you decide if you are to buy it or not and not to judge its performance"  .... main point is that when you're judging a product's performance ignore the price and just enjoy  ... judge it with what you hear what you feel .... use your senses .... and that is what i always do when I shop .... regardless what i'm buying I try first see if I like it then i look at the price to see if i feel its worth it to buy or not .... in what way is that a bold move ???? 

Seems to me like you're losing your cool. Take it easy man :)

sorry bro, i might come out blunt but i mean no way in causing harm

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #2,245 of 3,218

sorry bro, i might come out blunt but i mean no way in causing harm

Nah i'm cool ... haha guess they rest of this communty is just really confused with what you hear ... o well I don't really care what you hear though... just know that i enjoy my se846 ... Go try the JH16s pro if you can i think they sound really awesome .... got them during the recent summer sale (15% off total cost 1327SGD shipping and impressions) felt it was more worth it than my se846 which i paid 1288SGD for .... but that means having to risk fit issues cos i did the entire process myself .... Jaben retails it for 1998sgd ... nonetheless the 846 are still a awesome pair of IEM

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #2,246 of 3,218
the 846 is better than the 535 and the 535 is quite good to begin with....is it worth 500 dollars more?If you can afford it and the incremental improvement is important to you then the answer is yes,if you cannot afford it or the difference doesnt matter to you then it isnt worth it.That is pretty much the same with any product and any upgrade!!

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2,247 of 3,218
I'm currently using IE800.And I will buy 846 in a month.But I'm curious about it.Which is better ? And is it worth the price ? I think IE800 is worth price.(1000 usd) Only issue is un-replacable cable.But I use my IE800 very well.

And I wanna ask you again.Is 846 worth 1000 usd and is it ergonomic and comfortable like 535s ?

Thanks...

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,248 of 3,218
  I'm currently using IE800.And I will buy 846 in a month.But I'm curious about it.Which is better ? And is it worth the price ? I think IE800 is worth price.(1000 usd) Only issue is un-replacable cable.But I use my IE800 very well.

And I wanna ask you again.Is 846 worth 1000 usd and is it ergonomic and comfortable like 535s ?

Thanks...

Nobody can tell you if it's worth it or not. That's up to you. I personally feel it's better than the SE535 and the other sub ~500 universals I have heard by a good margin. I also find the SE846 more comfortable. It has replaceable cables and nozzles plus filters to change the sound. If you like bass and great mids then you should love the 846. It's like an SE355 with a subwoofer, better build quality, comfort, customization and better treble (but still not very extended).

Nov 10, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #2,249 of 3,218
I have heard the IE800 before and they are rather different from the 846. The IE800 in my opinion have a significant Sibilance and also comfort problem to my ears although the bass was pretty enjoyable. But the bass also was a problem as it might sometimes get a little too heavy.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #2,250 of 3,218
I like both the IE800 and SE846 and I could not rate one over the other as they are very different.

The treble on the IE800 is similar to HD800 whereas the SE846 has a very smooth and rolled-off treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back