Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Nov 8, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #1,486 of 4,022

Quote:
BTW...no full sized headphone can reproduce the LCD-2's bass...let alone an IEM. But if you look at the FR graphs for the SE535s 1kHz down to 10Hz, I think you might see something familiar.
wink.gif

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2731

Yeah graphs do look similar. In reality it's huge difference
biggrin.gif
Bass extension and information of LCD-2 is unbeatable
biggrin.gif

Quote:
 Put the earphones in the freezer for a few minutes and the foam tips come right off

Thanks! I tried it actually and still find it hard. But I don't really need to pull that darn thing off in the near future since the small Olives fit perfectly.

Quote:
How's the fit compared to the 530? I found it a tiny bit big for my liking, but the way the cable hung over my ears was very nice. The Senn IE series cable has a horrible memory that cannot be taken out despite many tries on both the ie6 and ie8. It wouldn't twist to fit the contour of my ears, so kept on falling off. From what I've read about the detachable cable, the connections are round which allow it to swivel, which could be a problem for me.

Yeah I wish it's a bit smaller but it seems my left ear is adapting to it
biggrin.gif
My left ear don't feel hurt today.

The detachable cable is just fine. You will thank the rotatable function of the connection. That makes plugging the phones in much easier. And the memory part that hang over your ears is great. One it's in its place, it stays there forever.

Nov 8, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #1,487 of 4,022

Quote:

In reality it's huge difference
biggrin.gif
Bass extension and information of LCD-2 is unbeatable
biggrin.gif

It is, but we're comparing HUGE headphones to tiny IEMs. But it is nice to know that they are flat (both sonically and visually). So when others say they need more bass, then you know that's coming from a basshead.
smile.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #1,488 of 4,022
Yeah I know they are different products to begin with but since the only headphone I have here is LCD-2 so I made comparison with it
tongue.gif
Don't get me wrong. I'm loving the Shure. And I don't need louder bass really. Just deeper
biggrin.gif

Anyway, my old CK7 bass is a joke compared to that of the Shure.

But again, I love the Shure. The mid is amazing.

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #1,489 of 4,022
I'm trying to decide if I should sell/trade my UM3x for a pair of these. I love the details on the UM3x but I would like a more open soundstage and something a little better for classic rock. I'm unamped out of an iPod Touch 4G.
I had a pair of SE530s and they were great for all of my music, but I lost them a while back so I picked up the UM3x. Anyone had the UM3x and the SE535? I'm trying to see if it would be worth it to sidegrade between the two. Thanks

Nov 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #1,490 of 4,022

Quote:
It is, but we're comparing HUGE headphones to tiny IEMs. But it is nice to know that they are flat (both sonically and visually). So when others say they need more bass, then you know that's coming from a basshead.
smile.gif

Can anyone edify me why there is such a negative connotation towards "Basshead" in Head-Fi ? How come there are no nicknames for people who likes exaggerated midrange or exaggerated treble ? Wouldn't it be a logical conclusion that an inability to accurately produce a segment of the frequency spectrum is just as flawed as any exaggeration of a particular segment of the frequency spectrum?                      

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #1,491 of 4,022
I haven't heard the UM3X but I'd recommend it if you can afford, or by any other means available, sample the SE535s before you sell off your UM3Xs

Quote:
I'm trying to decide if I should sell/trade my UM3x for a pair of these. I love the details on the UM3x but I would like a more open soundstage and something a little better for classic rock. I'm unamped out of an iPod Touch 4G.
I had a pair of SE530s and they were great for all of my music, but I lost them a while back so I picked up the UM3x. Anyone had the UM3x and the SE535? I'm trying to see if it would be worth it to sidegrade between the two. Thanks

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #1,492 of 4,022

Can anyone edify me why there is such a negative connotation towards "Basshead" in Head-Fi ? How come there are no nicknames for people who likes exaggerated midrange or exaggerated treble ? Wouldn't it be a logical conclusion that an inability to accurately produce a segment of the frequency spectrum is just as flawed as any exaggeration of a particular segment of the frequency spectrum?                      

<

I dOn't really know, I think it's mostly because it's the easiest to tune and it's greatly exaggerated by many lower end headphones so it gets a bad rep. I don't think it's actually bass that people have a problem with, but just it being bloated and intruding in the other ranges.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #1,493 of 4,022

Yea I had the um3xs and I have the 535s now. IMO they are different headphones in terms of presentation; they have great sound quality but the um3x focuses more on the details of the music and the shures more on the overall sound.

I don't think that the shure isms have a. Mmore open soundstage although it is pretty large.

For the price, if you aren't selling the um3xs I don't think they are worth the price.

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #1,494 of 4,022
I have the cash to sample the SE535s, but no store to buy them from. I live in Atlanta, and there aren't that many hi-end headphone stores around here. The UM3xs are very intimate, great for single instrument or singer settings, Ella Fitzgerald or solo pianos, but the sounds are too close for me when I listen to classic rock.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,495 of 4,022

Quote:

I don't mean anything negative by the term basshead. I consider those who consider the K701s or ER-4Ss neutral trebleheads.
tongue_smile.gif

I do enjoy my bass from time to time...I do own the Ed. 8s and like them very much.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #1,496 of 4,022

I have the cash to sample the SE535s, but no store to buy them from. I live in Atlanta, and there aren't that many hi-end headphone stores around here. The UM3xs are very intimate, great for single instrument or singer settings, Ella Fitzgerald or solo pianos, but the sounds are too close for me when I listen to classic rock.

I know it will take longer, but why not order from a site that let's you send thew headphones back within a few days so that if you don't like them,you can get a refund on the spot?

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #1,498 of 4,022
Nov 10, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #1,499 of 4,022

Quote:
I don't mean anything negative by the term basshead. I consider those who consider the K701s or ER-4Ss neutral trebleheads.
tongue_smile.gif

I do enjoy my bass from time to time...I do own the Ed. 8s and like them very much.
wink.gif

[size=10pt]Heh, heh... no indictment meant here when used either.
ksc75smile.gif
[/size]

[size=10pt]I consider myself a treble-head of sorts. Which rolls off the tongue better than “highs-and-upper-mids-head”.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ya likes what ya likes… Can’t fault that. And you buy your IEM’s accordingly.[/size]

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #1,500 of 4,022
My love for the bass is growing.

Since I first listened to the SE535 I did not get used to the bass of an IEM (especially after months listening LCD-2 exclusively) but at the same time I know I'm not regretting for my purchase because my two concerns which are one-note and mid-bass hump don't exist on SE535 and thank God for that
biggrin.gif

The extension I was missing is not that bad anymore. After getting used to the mid, my brain can now focus on the bass and I see that the bass extension actually scales really well. Not "LCD-2" well but very well. Must say I smiled few times yesterday because of the bass on Jamie got a gun, What it takes and Love in an Elevator O.o

I'm still listen to only Aerosmith since I got my SE535. I will throw in some acoustic Blues and jazz and female pop to see how SE535 handle them but my gut is telling me that those music will sing even better than rock on the Shure
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back