Shure se535...ouch, these hurt. Will custom moldings change that?
May 9, 2011 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Title says it all.  The flanges give me a great seal and they sound pretty good (quite different from the olive foamies).  But I love the olive foamies for their comfort and DAMNIT...I cannot get a seal with them at all.  The cabling just gets in the way.  If I remove the cables, I can insert both sides effortlessly, so obviously that cabling is getting in the way.  So will custom molds help in anyway?  I really don't want to sell the 535's.   Any on-topic comments are appreciated.  

May 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 31
Custom molds will help as they'll be molded around your ear and the 535s.

When you get them, you'll see that the molds will have an indentation for where the monitor sits snuggly.

This does obviously mean that it's not easy for you to use these moulds with any other headphones due to that indentation, but it does mean your fit will protrude enough out of your ear to stop the cables from being an issue.

Just ensure you get really good ear impressions for them to work with.

May 10, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 31
When i use my SE535 for an extended amount of time, i so start to have a slight ear pain. Its not a big problem for me, but it may be for others if they have smaller ears. I still have yet to grow, so these may fit fine when my ears get bigger
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 31
acs custom tips?  Fill me in, if you can.  The thing is that the 535's with foamies simply do not give me any seal at all.  The flanges do give me a good seal, but they hurt like hell.  What I'd like to know is if the custom molded tips will fit in without any issues due to the build changes that were done to the se530's.  Also, do these custom tips pull off, so you can try them with other iem's that may have identical nozzles, like other shure iem's?

Quote:
I have acs custom tips for the shure 535 fit, isolation and sound are unbeatable. I must say sound is incredible with this tips very comfortable too.

May 10, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #6 of 31
Hi! I had the same trouble with the grey flexes and the flanges, after some time they hurt. The fit in customs is perfect and the silicone is very comfortable so you can spend hours of listening whithout issues, the isolation is outstanding, the increase in bass impact, clarity, detail,treble and soundstage is remarkable I was thinking about buying some customs or adding 3 drivers to my um3x but I'll wait till the um3x die...I'm very happy with the sound of the 535 now, before I was very disspointed with the bass impact, I didn't expect this change, they seem another set of iems and for good of course

You can use them with other iems with the same nozzle like westones or shure 530 but remeber they made the tips for the 535 so they also made them counting the ergonomics of the body of the 535 so the fit is only perfect with the specific headphones, I've tried them with the um3x and they fit good but I didn't like the soundquality of um3x with them, and sometimes the nozzle went out the tip...more than often I should say, but once you get a good fit they work very good the only thing I didn't like with the um3x as I said was the soundsignature anyway the soundsignature of this headphones is weird. I guess that this kind of tips should deliver the sound of the headphones as they were designed.

Hope I've been helpful.

May 11, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 31
Thanks Kurdt!   Now I'll get in touch with Shure and see what the process is for getting the molds and if they can make them after I get the impressions done by an audiologist.

May 11, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
Hi! I had the same trouble with the grey flexes and the flanges, after some time they hurt. The fit in customs is perfect and the silicone is very comfortable so you can spend hours of listening whithout issues, the isolation is outstanding, the increase in bass impact, clarity, detail,treble and soundstage is remarkable I was thinking about buying some customs or adding 3 drivers to my um3x but I'll wait till the um3x die...I'm very happy with the sound of the 535 now, before I was very disspointed with the bass impact, I didn't expect this change, they seem another set of iems and for good of course

You can use them with other iems with the same nozzle like westones or shure 530 but remeber they made the tips for the 535 so they also made them counting the ergonomics of the body of the 535 so the fit is only perfect with the specific headphones, I've tried them with the um3x and they fit good but I didn't like the soundquality of um3x with them, and sometimes the nozzle went out the tip...more than often I should say, but once you get a good fit they work very good the only thing I didn't like with the um3x as I said was the soundsignature anyway the soundsignature of this headphones is weird. I guess that this kind of tips should deliver the sound of the headphones as they were designed.

Hope I've been helpful.

I can only fit the flexes in my ear, i have tried the others but if you have small ears like me and you can use the flanges, i may have to try again. The flexes are what i have been using for the last week or so, and that is what is giving me slight ear pain

May 12, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #10 of 31
Gloco,

Shure dont make the molds, although they may recommend someone to you.

If you're based in the UK - ACS are the ones to goto.

If the US - Might be best to trawl the internet for more info on Listenhear, 1964 Custom Sleeves and Sensaphonics. They all do custom sleeves within CONUS.

It's definitely the way I'd go down first as if you like your 535s, you'll love the sound of them once you get your sleeves.

Once you've got a full on case of upgrade-itis - Ultimate Ears and JH Audio can help you out :)

May 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #11 of 31
Hehe, I contacted Sensaphonics already since their pdf that's posted on their website regarding custom molds is broken.  I definitely plan on getting the custom molds done asap, the flanges are f'n painful.  I really hope the custom molds
do not experience the insertion problem I've had with the olive foamies which cannot be inserted fully into my ears when the cable is attached.  Without the cable, I can get a great seal with the olives.  I know its the cable that's getting in
the way  :frowning2:

May 12, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 31
Sensaphonics should in theory take into account the outer ear part and create moulds that will push the main body of the earphone beyond that.

Just ensure you mention that to the audiologist when getting your molds so they take an impression of the inner ear canal AND the outer bit.

Then when sending through your order to Sensaphonics, mention that to them so they create a sleeve that takes that into account.

May 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 31
Excellent idea.  I'll definitely bring this up, as well as bring my se535's with me so the audiologist can see what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Sensaphonics should in theory take into account the outer ear part and create moulds that will push the main body of the earphone beyond that.

Just ensure you mention that to the audiologist when getting your molds so they take an impression of the inner ear canal AND the outer bit.

Then when sending through your order to Sensaphonics, mention that to them so they create a sleeve that takes that into account.

May 12, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 31
Gloco: Sensaphonics is Shure's recommended provider of custom sleeves. I've never heard this particular issue come up before, so I'm interested in the outcome.

Sorry that our "Getting Ear Impressions" PDF is 404; there are gremlins in our new website. That link is broken in all of our "Helpful Links" listings (ironically enough). Weird. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

However, if you go to the Ordering (How To Order) page (or the Downloads page), that link works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back