Shure SE530 vs Grado SR225? Yep! You bet.
Feb 20, 2009 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

baka1969

Chaser of Ghosts
Hello,

I finally did it. After a long search for the elusive perfect IEM, I come across the hallowed SE530 from Shure.

Although it might seem a bit mellow dramatic, if you read everything there is to read about the 530, you might think they are the final word in IEM music reproduction with mystical powers of PRAT.

As usual, I won't rehash all the technical specs of the SE530 or display any fancy graphs. These are readily available here on Head-Fi and on the Shure website. I'll just give my personal observations about what I see and, most importantly, hear and experience.

Before I delve into my evaluation let me explain what I am comparing the 530 to. My reference is my Grado SR225 ($200 retail) listened through a Total Airhead amp and a gen 5 iPod with music loaded in .wav format. I am also going by memory and my notes as to the RE2 IEM ($70 retail) from Head Direct which I reviewed here on Head-Fi and did not particularly like. I will also refer to the Koss PortaPro ($50 retail) because their intended use is similar to that of an IEM. And of course the vast array of el cheapos I've ever used.

Some may balk about comparing the IEM Shure SE530 to the open dynamic Grado SR225. Different animals? Apples and oranges? Maybe. But I still have to decide on which sound signature I prefer. I also need a reference to compare and contrast. So be it.

I purchased the Shure SE530 from a fellow Head-Fier. They had low hours and were in mint condition when they arrived.

Let me say that although the packaging is beautiful, in my opinion, it's a bit over-the-top. I know for a retail of $450 you might expect more. I, however, think the money spent on an aluminum box could be spent on something else. Product development maybe? JMHO of course. I like the minimalist approach that Grado takes. Pizza box. Brilliant! But I digress. A grade of 7 for the packaging.

Aside from the packaging, Shure really made certain the 530 came with all the accessories. It comes with ear pieces of all shapes and sizes. Triple flange, 'regular' silicone tips and foamies aka Black Olives. It is supplied with an airline and a mini to 1/4 adapter.

The hard oval shaped carrying case is almost perfect. I say almost only because it's not exactly easy to shove in a pair of jeans. But since it's designed to carry the 'phones and accessories, it's not really a downer and a must-have to bring along to protect them.

It has a cleaning tool to rid the tips and tube of that pesky ear wax buildup. It also is equipped with two extension cords. One that is 9" and another that is 36". Both are the female to mini type. An 8.5 for the accessories.

The Shure SE530 housing are considerably larger than most other IEMs I've worn. I'm sure this is necessitated by the triple drivers and crossovers living inside. There are two micro woofers and one tweeter which, as you will read, defines it's sound profile. The shape is kind of amoeba like. Or paisley if you're old enough to remember paisley ties. But this form does have it's function. Each housing is designed so that the chord wraps around the back of your ear. It seems to make it a bit more secure while wearing but not always more comfortable when I'm wearing glasses. They can also be worn in the more traditional way if one chooses.

Each individual ear monitor has an 18" cord that has a mini plug. I personally have contention with this. I believe it should have a 27" (the original 18" plus the 9" extension) cord and do without the short one that Shure supplies with this unit. One longer continuous wire will just sound better than one with added extensions. I think I understand the reasoning, but believe the execution fell a bit short. Having variable lengths does add utility. But at what cost? The monitor's cords are also tethered by little plastic sleeve that moves up and down to help snug the monitor in place when wearing.

All connections are gold plated.

Overall everything seems to be made quite well. The Head Direct RE2 is also made well so it's no surprise that the Shure's are well made at more than 5 times the former's retail. Another 8.5 for build quality.

I have small ear canals so any of the larger tips are out. I have always found, to my ear, that foamies muddy the sound so they were out. So I settled on the triple flange. They offer excellent sound isolation. I do find that after an hour they tend to become a bit uncomfortable. They are more comfortable than the PortaPro which I find not very comfy. They are nowhere near as comfortable as the Grado. I can wear Grados indefinitely without any issues. I have found though that other IEMs have had longer-term comfort because of the smaller tips they use but they didn't seal off the outside world as well. I also found the triple flange easy to seal and didn't have to tweak them much to get the best sound. If forced to give them a comfort grade I would give them a 6.

The one thing I did find more with the Shure SE530 than I didn't with other IEMs is because they seal so well I can hear and sense my body movements and sounds (heartbeat, joints creaking, breathing) with almost alarming clarity. I took me a while to get used to it. I was food shopping recently while using them and each step I took sounded and felt like an elephant walking through the isles. It was irritating but I soon blocked it out. I would also give that a 6.

The cord itself did not cause and issues even while under my shirt. I'll give that an 8.

Now for the important part. The music. I'll get this out of the way. These do not need to be driven with an amp. The 530 sounded no better when connected to my Total Airhead than straight out of my iPod. As a matter of fact they are so sensitive that I only went about halfway up on the volume. This only supports the need for Grados requiring an amp to sound their best. For not needing an amp they get a 10.

I'm a detail freak so the first thing I always listen to is the first minute of Pink Floyd's song WISH YOU WERE HERE. There are very subtle details that only great headphones can detect. And to my surprise the Shure SE530 did VERY well. Detail is excellent up and down the entire range. I'd say it is almost on par with my Grado. There are slight difference, but close enough. I give it an 8.5

Once I played various songs I noticed a few things. Wow, these are very liquid. The mids sound amazing. They sound right. Music just seems to flow throughout the middle of the range. The clarity is quite stunning. Vocals are one of it's best assets here. You can not only hear the air as the singer sings, but can hear small changes in pitch and strain. 9.

The next thing that I heard was the bass extension. Much lower than the Grado and MUCH tighter than the PortaPro. The RE2 has very thin bass and sounds empty. I'm not a bass head but this digs down and digs deep. To me the PortaPro's bass seem bloated, sloppy and disconnected to the rest of the music. The Shure just melts right in and knows it's place. This is where the dual micro woofers seems to be at their best. Another 9.

The highs are very silky and extremely smooth. The place they fall short is that the highs roll off early. And this is where the Grado seems to shine. Although the Shure has creamier highs than the Grado, the Grado extends much further and in turn has a livelier sound compared to the Shure warmth. The Head Direct RE2 sounds harsh and brash high up and are extremely bright from the upper mids on up. I give the 530 an 8

I was surprised at the soundstage and instrumental separation the Shure presents. While it can't approach the Grado, it was admirable and far superior to any IEM I've used before. The Grado, to me, has a very airy music field. Part of it I think has to do with the fact that they're an open headphone. And part of it is the Grado is more forward. That said, I think the SE530 moves beyond the in-your-head sound. Let me say the music is around my head. I can place the instruments well and there is nice air between them. The PortaPros seem more convoluted in contrast. I think a solid 7.5 is well deserved.

All this leads me to how all the music sounds together. I say terrific. Even with the rolled off highs and the and extended bass all types of music just sound great. Very well integrated and highly enjoyable. A toe tapper. These are very fast 'phone and the attack is impressive. From the impact of a drum head to the sustain of a strummed chord the Shure SE530 acquits itself well of many shortcomings. These are without a doubt the best IEM to grace my ears. I will no longer seek another.

Does that mean the Shure trumps my Grado? Not so fast. The 225 is a lot more comfy. They have a much wider soundstage. Have more sparkle and are livelier. I just happen to be a big Grado fan.

Overall I'd give the SE530 from Shure an 8. With all other IEMs I've tried at a 5 or worse, I'd say that's quite a coup.

In the end, maybe comparing the 530 to the 225 is like apples and oranges? Or is it like a naval to a blood?

I hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading.

Ross

Typed on a BlackBerry Curve 8900

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 27
Nice review. For the best possible sound out of the Shure SE50's you will need to buy the Shure universal yellow foams. The trick is to push the foams up until they reach the barb on the nozzle, no further. The BASS will sound more natural and have more punch, and the HIGHs will extend further and really brighten up. The most important improvement will be the big increase in soundstage...

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by baka1969 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the yellow foams muddy the sound? Or effect the mids in any way? Unfortunately I've never been a fan of the foam.

Thanks

The MIDS are left untouch. The sound overall opens up greatly dude. I'm listening to my Shure's right now and in the song the beat keeps alternating from my left ear to middle of my head to my right ear, the soundstage is amazing!!

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 27
Ross

Typed on a BlackBerry Curve 8900[/QUOTE]

You typed that all on a Blackberry Curve--your and animal!
confused_face.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, so what's the supposedly best foam for the SE530? The yellow or Olive?

Yellow for sound quality, Olive for durability and longevity.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 27
Just got my SE530 this morning and luckily it also has the yellow foams. Wow it sounds awesome, far better than the Westone3, IMO. The cable is really a mess, too thick and stiff. I'll take it off and change to the Westone cable soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back