Shure se420`s for £115...
Jun 7, 2009 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

MusicalChillies

Previously known as Sinth.
Bargain or not? To me this seems a bargain. They are brand new also.
I was all setup to by the atrio`s but after more research would these be better? Great reviews but so do the atrios. (thanks all who responded to my atrio thread)

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 30
Thanks for the quick reply!
Would that be a better sound than my Denon`s or just completely different?
Denon`s shrill to much hense was going to get atrios (or something that just sounded easy going but with deffinition)

p.s the klipsch x10`s also caught my eye

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 30
well define "better"

given ive not heard the 420 there is a limited amount i can say about them, just relaying what i have read. 420 id think will give better clarity, lots better vocals abut will sound much flatter. as in it will be very balanced and feel not very exciting, but this is just going by what others have said.

how about you tell me what kind of thing you want and i can maybe point you in the direction you want to be going?

btw IE7 could be worth you looking at

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 30
Hi Mark, didn`t think you were going to reply again!

I have gone ahead and ordered the X10`s after all (30 mins ago) due to pretty rave reviews on websites and comments on here.
Got them for £119 which seemed a good price as they are still around the £170 mark on websites.
Better than the Denon`s "it seems" so that is what I want afterall.
The Shures do not seem to get alot of praise on here or review sites, the 530`s do but not really the 420`s.

Better....
Better mids I suppose, I felt sometimes, late at night listening to the Denon`s it was as if the music was going away from me if you know what I mean? To far in front? The bass fantastic, the rest of the track going awol.
The main reason, the harshness on the high end, sibilance has started to annoy me to the point of wanting to stop listening rather than stopping when I want to.

I`m pretty eclectic, classical to trance. No country and no metal though.

Thanks for replying.

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 30
where are you getting them that cheap?

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 30
Hope so, I will be deflated if they are not "what I want to hear".
Not soo much the money point just the what the hell do I try next.
Will let you know what I think when I get them Mark. (everything crossed smiley)

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 30
Jun 8, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shures do not seem to get alot of praise on here or review sites, the 530`s do but not really the 420`s.

Interesting....I thought last year Headroom really rated them - a kind of hidden jewel in Shure's lineup? I may be wrong, will check... Given that
I've never been too fond of SE530, I was always tempted by the 420 after reading Headroom's review. May have to look at them again
smily_headphones1.gif

(Edit\ Darn, looks like that £110 Ebay deal is gone -no sign in yr link, but thanks anyway!)

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 30
ive wanted to hear them for ages too, thing is they not likely to give me something very different from other things i have and they too expensive to but on a "im curious" throw away buy. actually i think amp3 have a demo set, should really go have a listen one day but hard to judge something if you only hear it for 10 min.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #12 of 30
Ah, Mark - curiousity got the cream!

ps Think you could pop into amp3 for me & find out WTH has happened to my IE8's?
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #13 of 30
Jun 9, 2009 at 9:56 AM Post #14 of 30
you ordered a pair from them?

why????? isnt play rather cheaper and amp3 just aimed at those in countrys play wont send anything to?

btw just email them, ive always found them to be quite responsive in the replys but then i do make a point of using the uni email account so they know im not far away

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #15 of 30
Long story which I won't bore you with, but I don't use debit or credit cards. Kinda limits my online buying, & rules out any US sites unfortunately (apart obviously from Paypal). With amp3 I can use bank transfer (I love bank transfer). Never used play -is it UK? Bank transfer option?

Oh, & update from amp3: IE8 out of stock til the weekend. And x2 on their responsiveness. Good guys, IME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back