Shure se215 or Hifiman re-400?
Dec 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 38
  Hi everybody, I need a new pair of iem for about 100 dollars. I read many reviews and I'm interested in these two models: Shure se215 and Hifiman re-400. According to this review ( http://tinyurl.com/multiiemreview ) Hifiman re-400 sound better (9/10 vs 7.9/10 of the shure). I found these two models cost approximately the same (about 110 dollars). I need them for a little bit of studio work (connected to an amp+dac+mac mini) and listening from my phone. Which is the best deal having took everything into account?

This is 100% WRONG. They dont sound better, they sound different.

The SE 215 have a very strong bass into the mids, and lay back highs. Very dark sounding, "fun" to hear due to a strong bass punch.
Die RE 400 are very natural and neutral sounding inears.
Which is better decies your own taste. A Basshead will prefer the Shure for sure (pun intendet) :wink:

Btw, i find the bass quality pretty good. Punchy, precise for that amount, for that kind of sounding, and for that pricerange. Other strong bass inears like klipsch s4 etc, would have a lower bass quality. or with other words, i dont know any bassy in-ears around that price range, with a better bass than the shure SE 215 (feel free to tell me^^)
However, if you do not like too much bass, you will just dislike them. Its really just personal preference, which inear will satisfy you more.
Best would be to test it by yourself :)

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #17 of 38
For me the SE215 is punchy, but not extended, bass. Great mids. Maybe I'm a secret basshead and the SE215 is not enough. Would love to try some of the others IEMs mentioned here.  

Dec 31, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #18 of 38
  This is 100% WRONG. They dont sound better, they sound different.

The SE 215 have a very strong bass into the mids, and lay back highs. Very dark sounding, "fun" to hear due to a strong bass punch.
Die RE 400 are very natural and neutral sounding inears.
Which is better decies your own taste. A Basshead will prefer the Shure for sure (pun intendet) :wink:

Btw, i find the bass quality pretty good. Punchy, precise for that amount, for that kind of sounding, and for that pricerange. Other strong bass inears like klipsch s4 etc, would have a lower bass quality. or with other words, i dont know any bassy in-ears around that price range, with a better bass than the shure SE 215 (feel free to tell me^^)
However, if you do not like too much bass, you will just dislike them. Its really just personal preference, which inear will satisfy you more.
Best would be to test it by yourself :)

I'd like to test them but these kind of headphones are not sold in Italy since most people won't buy them as people here only look at the brand on things, especially hitech stuff. If I buy them I'll have to do it on the italian amazon website.  

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 38
I'm going to throw myself on the mercy of the court here and say I was wrong about the bass on the SE-215. After experimenting with some different tips and  listening somewhere other than when I'm working out or or walking the dog I think the bass is quite pronounced for an IEM. Sorry if I threw the OP off the scent originally. I do like the sound and the potential upgrade path up the Shure line is tempting. Never ends.

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #20 of 38
nice name change bud haha

the 215 is the only one in the lineup that i find difficult to recommend.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #21 of 38
I've had the 215s just a couple weeks and used them exclusively in work out situations so probably should have done a bit more critical listening before I opened my mouth. I will be a bit more thoughtful ongoing (but just a bit). What is nice is there are a lot of 215s out there so a good baseline for comparison when perusing the site. Originally I was going to jump straight to the 535 but thought I'd give the Shure sound a try first before I plopped down the dollars plus my wallet was hurting at the time (curse you Head-Fi!).

P.S. Glad you got the reference Cotnijoe! Was tagging Bowie files the other night and had an epiphany.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #22 of 38
Try them with after-market cables,.. I slapped on a FiiO RC-SE1 cable and the improvement is pretty vast. Details opened up, overall presentation tightened up, improved instrument situation, better soundstage, a little more sparkle... . I know there are doubters when it comes to replacement cables, so if there are any around my area (Metro Manila, Philippines), PM me and we can do a meetup and audition and u can hear the difference yourself. I actually like the SE215 with the FiiO SPC cable better than the RE-400. I have both. Here is a piture of my baby...

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #23 of 38
The RE400 is very neutral. Very good clarity. Very comfortable. Build quality seems pretty good. Finding a tip that fits properly can be a hassle. I just use Comply foam tips instead of any of the rubber/silicon tips.

Another headphone you may want to look at, is the MeElectronics A161p. It's in your price range and offers a more neutral sound than the Shure SE215.

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #24 of 38
it depends on your music preferences. i've own shure se215 special edition for a month now and it has been worth it for me at least. it has warm and bassy sound (not as bassy as Be*ts) it won't tire your ears. i can sleep with it since it is has low profiled design. i've read reviews about re-400. it is into neutral sounding in ear headphone. so, it will not excite you or anything. if you use it for monitoring, then re 400 is the right choice. however if you just want to listen to music, then im happy to recommend you to buy shure se215 (normal or special edition).

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #26 of 38
Try them with after-market cables,.. I slapped on a FiiO RC-SE1 cable and the improvement is pretty vast. Details opened up, overall presentation tightened up, improved instrument situation, better soundstage, a little more sparkle... . I know there are doubters when it comes to replacement cables, so if there are any around my area (Metro Manila, Philippines), PM me and we can do a meetup and audition and u can hear the difference yourself. I actually like the SE215 with the FiiO SPC cable better than the RE-400. I have both. Here is a piture of my baby...

I second RC-SE1 as highly recommended for sound improvement.  Just got it for my UE900 and W40, and I also hear an improved soundstage, more details and sparkle in treble, and to my ears more bass details.  And also boost in sound level due to less voltage drop though a wire (less impedance).   The only negative, a bit more microphonics effect with W40, though not as much with UE900.  I think it has to do a bit with a design of earbuds and how/where coaxial connector gets attached.  Coincidentally, RC-SE1 comes with a shirt clip :wink:  For $30 it's probably one of the best sound improvements you can make for SE215/SE535, UE900, and new W-series.  I know, their color matches clear SE-series better, but if you care about sound rather than looks - its the way to go :wink:

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #27 of 38

I second RC-SE1 as highly recommended for sound improvement.  Just got it for my UE900 and W40, and I also hear an improved soundstage, more details and sparkle in treble, and to my ears more bass details.  And also boost in sound level due to less voltage drop though a wire (less impedance).   The only negative, a bit more microphonics effect with W40, though not as much with UE900.  I think it has to do a bit with a design of earbuds and how/where coaxial connector gets attached.  Coincidentally, RC-SE1 comes with a shirt clip :wink:  For $30 it's probably one of the best sound improvements you can make for SE215/SE535, UE900, and new W-series.  I know, their color matches clear SE-series better, but if you care about sound rather than looks - its the way to go :wink:

Hmmmmmm........You don't think an Audio Engineer knows how to properly specify a cable???  Any required cabling is cheap, dirt cheap, absolutely no reason to specify an inadequate cable to save 1.5 cents/foot whilst simultaneously shooting your own foot.  Anybody that dense would be out of business/job inside 2 years.

If you like to play Mr. Fancy Pants then accessorize all you want, but it's just make believe.

SB

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 38

Hmmmmmm........You don't think an Audio Engineer knows how to properly specify a cable???  Any required cabling is cheap, dirt cheap, absolutely no reason to specify an inadequate cable to save 1.5 cents/foot whilst simultaneously shooting your own foot.  Anybody that dense would be out of business/job inside 2 years.

If you like to play Mr. Fancy Pants then accessorize all you want, but it's just make believe.

SB

Not sure where all this anger coming from? :) lol!!!  I'm speaking from a personal first hand experience, testing UE900 and W40 with original cables and RC-SE1 using various portable sources such as X5 and Note 2 with FLAC and 320kbps files.  There is audible sound improvement, plus cable is build like a tank.  Others expressed the same results.  If you think it's a hype, don't buy into it.  If you want to try it with your IEMs, you can always get it from amazon and return it back if you don't agree.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #29 of 38
Well how stupid would the designer/engineer have to be to size the cable wrong? Really?  It isn't anger your sensing, its incredulity.  You want to be a fashionista, then by all means have at it.  You want to make up performance benefits to make yourself feel better, that is fine as well.  Either way, it's just make believe.

SB

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #30 of 38
  Hi everybody, I need a new pair of iem for about 100 dollars. I read many reviews and I'm interested in these two models: Shure se215 and Hifiman re-400. According to this review ( http://tinyurl.com/multiiemreview ) Hifiman re-400 sound better (9/10 vs 7.9/10 of the shure). I found these two models cost approximately the same (about 110 dollars). I need them for a little bit of studio work (connected to an amp+dac+mac mini) and listening from my phone. Which is the best deal having took everything into account?

Studio work ----- Answer:  Neither.

Just get an xba1ip($25) for your phone and a decent over ear studio that will humiliate the se215 and re400.

SB

Edit:  I rescind my recommendation of the xba1ip, just as well throw your money in the street.  Found them in a drawer(backups), fired them up, what a piece of crap.  I must of had them confused with the Apple earpods from the i5, those are nice for $30.

SB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back