Shure se215 LTD or Shure se315 or Shure se425? Upgrading from Shure se215
Apr 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #16 of 55
  Cables are quite the controversial topic... The traditional saying in audiophile circles is that copper cables add bass ("warmer sound") while silver adds or emphasizes treble ("brighter sound"). That being said it has never been measured or proved in any scientific study that cables can affect sound quality this way. Some believe in it, some don´t. I personally don´t and consider cables a waste of money (it´s different if the reason is getting a lighter cable or for balanced connectors though). I think it´s a classic case of perception psychology where we transfer the look of the cable to an expectation of the sound.

They are also very expensive compared to the cost of the components used (an add-on cable to the SE215 will cost more than the IEM itself). Even if by some thus far unknown to science principles cables do in fact affect sound in the way cable manufacturers claim the difference is minimal at best and even then poor value for money compared to buying new IEMs if you ask me :)

EDIT: what do you use as the source by the way? If a smartphone, try a playback application that has high quality EQ and experiment by boosting the bass up a little. There are also standalone digital audio players (DAP) that have EQ functionality. Another option would be to run a small portable amp. Amplification usually makes the bass tighter and more impactful plus some amps even have a built-in bass boost function. Fiio for example makes good and fairly priced portable amps.

Thanks for the info on cables. I now understand that it could just be a myth, and it sure is pricey. I use my laptop. I may try bass boosting or an amp sounds good too!

Cuiter23, thanks for the custom iem option. I may consider it, but it seems quite pricey.

Apr 4, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #17 of 55
I have the SE425's and have to admit after you use them for a while, the initial sibilant highs disappear. The bass is not ideal for everyone although essentially once you get a comfortable fit and the best suiting earbuds they come into their own. The isolation on them is enough to give your music presence whilst dulling down unwanted ambiance. My only bug bear is the small white noise emitted by my mobile telephone when using these. 

The SE846 are undoubtedly going to be more refined and offer more sound options although apparently you need more gusto to drive these properly.

Whilst they are flat and not dynamically exciting the SE425 are more honest than your average in-ear headphones. Getting used to the round the ear fit takes a while if you are not used to it.

Apr 4, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 55
I have the SE425's and have to admit after you use them for a while, the initial sibilant highs disappear. The bass is not ideal for everyone although essentially once you get a comfortable fit and the best suiting earbuds they come into their own. The isolation on them is enough to give your music presence whilst dulling down unwanted ambiance. My only bug bear is the small white noise emitted by my mobile telephone when using these. 

The SE846 are undoubtedly going to be more refined and offer more sound options although apparently you need more gusto to drive these properly.

Whilst they are flat and not dynamically exciting the SE425 are more honest than your average in-ear headphones. Getting used to the round the ear fit takes a while if you are not used to it.

I'm surprised that you found the treble on the SE425s sibilant in the first place. I feel that the SE425s have a completely recessed high end to the point where some tracks I cant even hear some passages and instruments due to the treble being so rolled off. This is easily the greatest weakpoint of the SE425s in my opinion.

May 3, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #19 of 55
I think it's subjective to your reference point i.e. the music you listen to and the source. It could be to do with the fact, most of the time when I listen to any form of music it's on my mobile phone (Google Play Music @ 320K MP3 or 24-bit FLAC audio) or through my headphones at night (Headphone amplifier/AKG K702). I've seem to be seeking a flatter image than one that is eq-tuned to sound a certain way.

May 3, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #20 of 55
  I think it's subjective to your reference point i.e. the music you listen to and the source. It could be to do with the fact, most of the time when I listen to any form of music it's on my mobile phone (Google Play Music @ 320K MP3 or 24-bit FLAC audio) or through my headphones at night (Headphone amplifier/AKG K702). I've seem to be seeking a flatter image than one that is eq-tuned to sound a certain way.

I'm surprised that you have the K702 and don't find the treble on the 425s to be lacking in sparkle and clarity. 

May 4, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #21 of 55
The 425 were bought for the purpose of portable listening on my LG G2. Before that, I did use Sennheiser CX880 earphones before on the Samsung Galaxy S2. The AKG K702 are primarily used through a Samson headphone amplifier which is routed through my soundcard.

I had to replace a driver part, so I'm currently still running it until I get it sounding comfortable. Listening to INXS - Devil Inside (Remaster) MP3 320K and it sounds detailed like the original vinyl version to a certain extent. Moving onto Hybrid - Break my Soul they show a bit more punch performance, although lacks the bass needed to drive the sound, Adding the Hi-Fi EQ Curve to the signal makes a difference. Chase & Status - Hocus Pocus (128K MP3) sounds a bit thin the high-end although using the Curve allows for a meaty low-end.

TBH I wasn't expecting the world for a £239 pair of earphones however I'm certainly surprised how articulate can be handling the majority of music I throw at them.

May 10, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #22 of 55
I currently have, among others, the Shure SE215's and the Westone w4's. I am toying with upgrading the se215's to the SE535's and wonder how they compare for example to the SE215's and the Westone W4's or W40's. I am not particularly a bass head and listen mostly to classical but some popular music, too. I enjoy and get a kick out of the SE215's for what they can do at their price point. Any help would be appreciated.

May 10, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #23 of 55
I currently have, among others, the Shure SE215's and the Westone w4's. I am toying with upgrading the se215's to the SE535's and wonder how they compare for example to the SE215's and the Westone W4's or W40's. I am not particularly a bass head and listen mostly to classical but some popular music, too. I enjoy and get a kick out of the SE215's for what they can do at their price point. Any help would be appreciated.

I've owned the 535s before and currently still own the 215s. They are not on the same level.

May 12, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #24 of 55
  Cables are quite the controversial topic... The traditional saying in audiophile circles is that copper cables add bass ("warmer sound") while silver adds or emphasizes treble ("brighter sound"). That being said it has never been measured or proved in any scientific study that cables can affect sound quality this way. Some believe in it, some don´t. I personally don´t and consider cables a waste of money (it´s different if the reason is getting a lighter cable or for balanced connectors though). I think it´s a classic case of perception psychology where we transfer the look of the cable to an expectation of the sound.

They are also very expensive compared to the cost of the components used (an add-on cable to the SE215 will cost more than the IEM itself). Even if by some thus far unknown to science principles cables do in fact affect sound in the way cable manufacturers claim the difference is minimal at best and even then poor value for money compared to buying new IEMs if you ask me :)

EDIT: what do you use as the source by the way? If a smartphone, try a playback application that has high quality EQ and experiment by boosting the bass up a little. There are also standalone digital audio players (DAP) that have EQ functionality. Another option would be to run a small portable amp. Amplification usually makes the bass tighter and more impactful plus some amps even have a built-in bass boost function. Fiio for example makes good and fairly priced portable amps.

Do you not hear differences between different cables? In high end room audio, the view you urge is totally dead. There was a day in the early sixties when some argued that amplifiers which measured the same sounded the same (e.g., Julian Hirsch) and soon after him some who argued different cables and interconnects made no audible difference because some measurements could not detect differences. But those views died quickly and no one in high end audio now argues different cables and interconnects do not make audible differences. The old view has been dead for decades now. All hear differences but do not always know what to make of them unless they listen to a lot of live, unamplified music.I  am surprised to hear some still believe what you do in Head-Fi land.

May 12, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #25 of 55
Lets not get into a cable debate OK?

I've tried several with my equipment - and in double blind volume matched tests I hear no difference.  If you do - fine - congrats - lets leave it.  No-one has proven (ie no documented controlled tests) that there are major differences.  If you want to debate it - take it to Sound Science.  Lets leave it out of the forums please.

Anyway - what are you looking for in the change from the SE215's.  If you can describe what you like, don't like, and what you'd like to change - you'll get a little more help.  I've heard or owned most of the SE series.

May 12, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #26 of 55
Oh and with the SE535 you'll get more extension both ends - but bass will be less in quantity, much higher in quality.  Mids are very smooth, very lush, quite forward in the mix.  Treble is a bit rolled off with the standard SE535 - you get more with the SE535 Ltd Ed.

May 12, 2015 at 5:54 AM Post #27 of 55
  Oh and with the SE535 you'll get more extension both ends - but bass will be less in quantity, much higher in quality.  Mids are very smooth, very lush, quite forward in the mix.  Treble is a bit rolled off with the standard SE535 - you get more with the SE535 Ltd Ed.

I'd try the Noble 4, much better than the 535.

May 12, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #28 of 55
Well he hasn't stated what sort of sound sig he wanted - so probably too early to say anything is better until we know his preferences .... don't you think?

May 12, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #30 of 55
If you're looking for bass - forget the SE425.  It's a wonderfully neutral IEM - but with not much extension at either end.  I'm tempted at some stage to repurchase them (they were one of my first IEMs - nostalgia).  Wth EQ, they really suited my tastes.

If you want something really quite smooth and bassy - with ergonomics similar to the Shure series  - try the RHA T10i.  I really disliked them (overly warm and bassy) - but a lot of people do like them.

If you can try a different shape - then I'd suggest going with a triple Hybrid.  That way you get clarity from the dual BAs (mid-range and treble), but plenty of low end from the dynamic.  Best value IMO (which would give you bass) would be the Altone200, Fidue A83, and maybe the DUNU DN-1000.  Plenty of reviews on all 3 on Head-Fi.

If you want a single Dynamic driver - Fidue's A81 might also suit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back