shure se 846 is there any warmer iem than it
Jun 30, 2014 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
hello guys

I bought the shure se846 and its a great iem and it has nice bass, but sometimes I feel when lsitenning that the mids and highs can sometimes be bright and I need to lower the volume, I tried the shure on 2 setups ( used both black and blue filters )

1- chord hugo connected to my ipod

2- on the fiio x 5 alone

in both I found that still the mids and highs are in some instances more bright and a little sharp to my liking.

So I have a big question, especially that everyone was raving about the smoothness of the shure 846 and that it might stand against full overhead headphones in sq,  does this mean that all iems cant get warmer than this, as that is a limit on shure side and iems in general

To be honest I started to doubt that ever will iems sound as good as over the ear, like my goal was to buy an iem that is at least as warm and dark as the Mad dogs or even better the audeze lcd2, but I guess that is too much wishful thinking that an iem can be as good as those

The one iem that I am eager to try is the Cardas iem as many said its toooo warm, and maybe that will be more to my linking as sometimes too much details in highs can be unfavorable to me.

please don't taker my points above that I mean that I don't like the shure 846, on the opposite its a great iem, and I love it very much so don't misinterpret me and I definitely think shure made a great job with them as those are the best iems I heard, compared to senheisser ie 8, ie80 or some others.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 22
Have you tried the warmer (black) filter? The SE846 comes with the neutral (blue) filter installed 

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 22
yes i did as i mentioned it in my post also tried every ear tips and sizes. 

Again guys plz know that its very difficult to impress me, so I always look for imperfections 

I am sure 99% of people will  find the shure to be amazing and I myself find it amazing so for me to say its amazing it literally means its amazing iem

Now what I am trying to say I need a little warmer darker sounding iem as a change and include in my gadgets, so I am just looking for a full dark warrmmmmmm iem with great bass as the shure

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 22
Sorry can't understand how I missed that... 
redface.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 22
@hykhleif,
I understand you tried all tips but you definitely have a seal issue or a faulty pair if you think those are too bright. Most complaints are about the treble being not extended enough or/and  too  recessed.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 22
Sound quality doesn't equal how warm the headphone / earphone is.  There are definitely warmer IEM's than the Shure SE846. However I won't recommend them since they are some budget IEM's I have which won't please you either.

I hear the Sennheiser IE800 has a very warm signature, but I won't comment on it since I don't own these myself. 

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 22
i am having no seal issue as i hear bass, i think my problem is in that i am asking for something that might not exist, which is an iem that has the same sound signature as audeze lcd2 or mad dogs pro

but this in no means makes the shure se846 bad, on the contrary i am amazed by it so much and its a keeper and way will i sell it

its just i like to add another warmer iem to my collection

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 22
i tried the shure with fiio x5, and then fiio x5 amped by ifi I can nano

then with chord hugo thourgh iPod and android and to be honest i find the shure 846 sharp and shouty

i tried black filter and different tips, i hear the bass but its the mids and highs that are really not to my liking

if anyone has an iem that is close to price range of shure 846 or cheaper by 100 or 200 USD and would like to trade it send me a message, I look for really warm nice bass punch and warm mids and highs, the shure to me is bright, i need darker iems close to the sound signature of mad dogs pro

I only used the shure for 5 days

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 22
This one is much, much cheaper than the 846s, but might be of interest. The Signature Acoustics C-12 is a budget option, but really, really smooth. I compared it to the HD650s and LCD-2s in my review (for warmth, not overall performance). It's not in flagship territory like the 846s, but it's very good for the price tag. Here's my review: http://passionforsound.wordpress.com/2014/03/02/signature-acoustics-c-12-iems/

All that said, I own the LCD-2s and use them with a warm tube amp (it's my lush setup) and the SE846s with black filters are way darker so I think something is going wrong somewhere if you're finding the sound too bright or shouty with 846s running black filters. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 22
  hello guys

I bought the shure se846 and its a great iem and it has nice bass, but sometimes I feel when lsitenning that the mids and highs can sometimes be bright and I need to lower the volume, I tried the shure on 2 setups ( used both black and blue filters )

1- chord hugo connected to my ipod

2- on the fiio x 5 alone

in both I found that still the mids and highs are in some instances more bright and a little sharp to my liking.

So I have a big question, especially that everyone was raving about the smoothness of the shure 846 and that it might stand against full overhead headphones in sq,  does this mean that all iems cant get warmer than this, as that is a limit on shure side and iems in general

To be honest I started to doubt that ever will iems sound as good as over the ear, like my goal was to buy an iem that is at least as warm and dark as the Mad dogs or even better the audeze lcd2, but I guess that is too much wishful thinking that an iem can be as good as those

The one iem that I am eager to try is the Cardas iem as many said its toooo warm, and maybe that will be more to my linking as sometimes too much details in highs can be unfavorable to me.

please don't taker my points above that I mean that I don't like the shure 846, on the opposite its a great iem, and I love it very much so don't misinterpret me and I definitely think shure made a great job with them as those are the best iems I heard, compared to senheisser ie 8, ie80 or some others.

Simple explanation.   The SE846 is not for you.  I felt the same way but not to such a large degree.  
Try W60.  It is SOOO much smoother.

I am dumbfounded how so many find SE846 as "smooth" or "lush".  I don;'t get it .  Next to the Westone they are harsh and tough on the ears....certainly at higher volumes.

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 22
  Simple explanation.   The SE846 is not for you.  I felt the same way but not to such a large degree.  
Try W60.  It is SOOO much smoother.

I am dumbfounded how so many find SE846 as "smooth" or "lush".  I don;'t get it .  Next to the Westone they are harsh and tough on the ears....certainly at higher volumes.

Same here if you mean treble is pronouced.  I thought it was kinda rough.  Pretty much all vocal sounded like somebody was speaking on the mic.  I perceive it like HeadRoom's graph. Not sure what kind of FR causes that exactly, but peak at the tinny region and drop around it is probably causing that sound.

graphCompare.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back