Shure SE 535 Reds Sennheiser IE 80 Westone 4-R ???
Jul 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #61 of 95
Quote:
Oh, because in the advertisement I saw $, so assumed it was an an inflated price for some reason.  But yes, in all honesty, the color and reviews that the sound is very fun and different for a very wide array of music from classical to pop was very good.  But thats why I went with amazon, if they are not satisfactory in anyway, back in the box and returned for another pair.  But I do appreciate all your advice.  I did notice you own the IE8s, if these are not to my satisfaction, I believe they will be the next pair I go with, since Sennheisers have been the only quality audio devices I have owned.

I've moved on to the IE800s.
But I still sometimes crave for the IE8s which I haven't let go yet, I had them with the Twag v2 and they sounded very relaxing, with details laid back.

In any case, if you were to consider the SE846s, you could jolly well place the 1+2, TG334, k3003, IE800s within your considerations. 
But those are really a notch higher in terms of pricing as well.
In fact with your needs, I wouldn't recommend the IE800s although I very much liked them, they're really bass heavy and has details straight up in the face, may be fatiguing for some.
That said, I've always found bright IEMs to be even more fatiguing, brain takes too much processing to identify all the details.

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #62 of 95
Yeah the IE800 is a completely different animal compare to the IE8 or IE80 even they seems simiular.  When I started out I thought that paying a grand for an non-custom IEM is crazy, but now I am also considering the SE846...

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #63 of 95
After speaking with the head product manager at Shure USA Corporate for about an hour about the SE846, they seem to have some quite revolutionary designs and technology that other quad driver IEMs do not.  Now, me not being an audiophile, or IEM expert could not tell you if half of what he was telling me was so much better then the other IEMs in the $1000 price bracket, but it sounded good.

On another interesting note, he said that out of his testing in their labs as well as their technicians testing there is pretty much zero difference between all the difference copper, silver, cotton candy coated, or platinum encased fancy shmancy third party cables or even the official manufacture ones you can get, the true sound difference is going to come out of the iem itself.  I don't mean to joke about these cables, but it is just funny that people think that spending $250 on a cable that has more silver in it then a $20 cable is going to product better sound out of the same iem.  The same concept applies to video cables.

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #64 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnEagle23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On another interesting note, he said that out of his testing in their labs as well as their technicians testing there is pretty much zero difference between all the difference copper, silver, cotton candy coated, or platinum encased fancy shmancy third party cables or even the official manufacture ones you can get, the true sound difference is going to come out of the iem itself.  I don't mean to joke about these cables, but it is just funny that people think that spending $250 on a cable that has more silver in it then a $20 cable is going to product better sound out of the same iem.  The same concept applies to video cables.

Yep, someone did a blind test with cloth hangers as speaker wires and those experts can't tell the difference.  The only difference I think will be the construction, as aftermarket stuff tends to be stronger than OEMs.

Jul 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #65 of 95
Agreed on that point, no doubt, the only benefit on an oem product, or using a different material when it comes to video or audio cables is protection from bending or breaking or twisting and breaking over time.  Or in the iems case being very durable over time and not breaking internally to cause connection issues or knot up frequently.  However, one interesting thing I did notice is the Shures just have a rubber coated cable it looks like, nothing fancy.  Unless I am missing something, the cable doesn't have any anti knotting property to them, yet the product manager said that their cables are very un-prone to knotting and a lot of people are very fond of their cables.  Not I have never handle a pair before, but have you guys and what is special about them?

Jul 18, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #66 of 95
This is why I use those pouch, as I will loop the cables in circles, then put them in the netting, leaving the pods and plug outside and close the pouch.  That way you will never knot your cable.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #67 of 95
Sooo, finally got my UE 900s in, took forever to get them.  Accessories got here instantly, I was about to just overnight the W4Rs to test out in the meantime.  Love the packaging and the look of these things are amazing, the fit is just flawless, opinion may change after wearing them all day, but so far, they fit snug and just perfect, this rounded triangle shape is great. But anyhow, I was pleasantly and at the same time not pleasantly surprised by the sound.  I was expecting a lot more upbeat like trebley sound I suppose and I find it be much more natural and warm sounding.  Even more so then my Sennheiser 360s and 598s.  Not to much bass at all so far, I use vevo quite a bit, most portable sound source for all vehicles and rooms and even with the computer at about 75% and vevo at 100% the bass on heavier bass songs like maybe Pitbull or something, it is not overbearing at all.  On things like classical, or more mellow songs, the notes are quite perfect and I am not quite sure how else to put it, just very very warm and balanced sounding.  Just listened to some Susan Boyle and it sounded fantastic.  Any other suggestions on what you guys know for sure sound really good on the UE 900s? 

One thing I am getting, and I am not sure if this is a fault in the IEMs, or something on the source, or on my sound card.  But I never noticed this before.  In my office I sit back from my desk about 5-6 feet since I use multiple monitors for professional applications and gaming, so I need a longer cable for the IEMs, I am using Sennheiser's headphone/mic extension and just using the headphone extension side, used it on my other earphones and and headphones with no problem and that is going it the 6.3mm plug which goes into my Asus Xonar Essence STX.  However, when listening to any music on YouTube, if I have the volume above say like 60%, I am getting this static in both and sometimes 1 earbud?  Is this because of the increased sensitivity of the drivers, the additional drivers, the crap quality of youtube?  If so, why have I never heard this with my Sennheisers, since it's not like my Sennheisers are Wal-mart headphones lol? 

Thoughts, suggestions, for correcting the problem?  Additionally, I have not done any type of burn in since I was told there is no need to do so on these IEMs, so I just took them out of the box and started listening away at about 75% computer volume and max application volume.

EDIT:  The Pelican Micro Case - Blue - works great, it fits the IEMs with the 6.3mm plug perfectly in the right curved shape all wound up and room to spare for some other foam tips if you need.  It is a bit larger then some of the other pouches, but its shockproof, dust proof, water resistant, not sure why it's not waterproof, it has a rub liner that acts a gasket and it seals shut with tight clamps, but anyhow, I think for sure worth it for any of you folks spending $300 to especially the $1500+ on IEM's.  And it is so cheap, especially for a Pelican case.

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1010-026-100-Micro-Clear-Carabineer/dp/B000VZORPI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1374667569&sr=8-3&keywords=pelican+micro+1010

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #68 of 95
I think is the increased surface area of the braided cable from the UE900 being more sensitive to signal interferances.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #69 of 95
I just reconnected to directly to my motherboard soundcoard and it was fine, then reconnected to my Asus dedicated and we are doing fine no static in anything so far, at any volume level, but really, I mean I shouldn't be having any type of static a whole wopping 8 feet vs 3 feet lol.  Also adjusted the format from 24 bit 44k Hz to 24 bit 96k Hz, on my Windows settings as well as sound card.  Should I just stick at 96k or go to 192k, I hadn't fooled around to much with the format, but I can tell a definite difference for sure.

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #70 of 95
Well what people think of length is actually a matter of surface area of your wiring.  Remember that your braided cable has 4 wires hence 4 times the area than a straight cable for picking up external signals.  The braiding helps a bit to cancel out internal interference, but what it really need is good shielding.  Setting wise it should match your source file's bitrate, as any other difference settings will involve up or down conversion.  However, this is a minor nitpick as the conversion is almost transparent.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #71 of 95
Yeah true true, but still, the extension cable itself hadn't changed and no interference was occurring with other devices.  I am really liking the quad-braided cable that goes down the plug, very nice, wish they would have braided the same up to the ear buds, perhaps that would have cause complications in bending around the ears.  Also I notice, they don't exactly bend around behind the ears and give a perfect contour like is portrayed, but more just curve back above the tops of the ears and then just straight back to where the little rubber cinching piece slides up on the black cable behind your head.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #72 of 95
I can't say for sure, but sometimes it's not necessary the extension that caused the problem, rather it might be the exposed plug part in the middle of the chain that caused the problem.  You might want to consider one of those custom IEM cable with better shielding for your needs.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #73 of 95
Regarding earlier discussions about cables, I'm not gonna start a debate here.
I've heard very good chances using the Twag V2 on my IE8.
That said I'm not trying to justify the price of the cables, because it costs as much as another pair of IE8.

But if you're going find out about these said cables, best is to get a pair yourself and hear the difference.
There are many aftermarket cables but to make any changes at all, really imo have to jump to the best cables, probably one with high silver concentration

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #74 of 95
I personnally think that you don't really need silver cable in most cases.  However, I do see the need for better shielding in most cases.  You can see the trend of thinner cables nowadays that double as antennas for DAPs, which is great if you listen to radio, but sucks to protect from signal interferences.

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #75 of 95
Well like I said the standard cable is just fine, and now just unplugging and replugging into the extension I have seems to be working fine as well.  Getting a bit of static in some things that I didn't use to as well, but it is not terrible.  For sure when listening to a pure music audio source, it is flawless, no issues at all.  But I suppose looking for just a longer cable overall would be better then going through an extension?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back