Shure SE 535 cable?
Feb 2, 2014 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

IaHawkeye

100+ Head-Fier
Someone told me that the best improvement I can make to any headphone is using the cable... Is there a noticeable sound difference to upgrading the cord for my SE 535's (clear ones) or would it be a waste? I use it mainly with my iPhone with music downloaded from iTunes.... If so what is the best cable to get?

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 3
Someone told me that the best improvement I can make to any headphone is using the cable... Is there a noticeable sound difference to upgrading the cord for my SE 535's (clear ones) or would it be a waste? I use it mainly with my iPhone with music downloaded from iTunes.... If so what is the best cable to get?

Don't know who you heard that from, but the general concensus is that upgrading amp and source is going to give you a better upgrade. Especially if you are using an iPhone with iTunes downloads. And for that matter, having lossless downloads (FLAC, Apple Lossless formats, etc instead of mp3, AAC) will also likely give a better upgrade than lossy iTunes downloads. And since there are nice, pricier headphones you could update to, you may be better off spending cable money on an IEM upgrade instead. I think of cables as being part of the end game. Once I have settled on IEMs, amp, and DAC. So for example, I recently got some 846 IEMs, then a couple days ago I got an iBasso Toucan PB-1 amp (which can drive the 846 and my HiFiMan HE-5LEs, but would likely be overkill for just the 846). Next on the list will be an upgraded source (a DX50 mayber or an iDSD?). Then once that is all dialed in to my liking, I will begin to think about cables, and which cable will best suit my system (synergy is everything). 

On improvements from different potential upgrades for example see here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/664752/importance-of-headphones-amp-dac-cable-music-player-etc

Not that cables aren't important, but don't get caught up in the cable hype. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back