Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Jan 6, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #5,641 of 6,081
Except you will stick to internal dac of kse, you should pick up 1200, not 1500.
By same analog feeding, 1200 output better than 1500. However, quite many think/said here they are the same.
To me, 1200 hard beating, punchier, faster and sharper.
Need to clarify here that I compare the 2 same time but difference aging: 1500 is 3 years old relatively compare to 1200. So time may be a factor.

At the clans of estatic, it's a pity if you pair to a low rank source.
For this case, 1500 is prefer with its dac.

Stage of kse is just so so or can called small. Wide stage source as like SP1000SS of AK should be one of best match.
I actually use them.

And note on mojo: dont blind buy for kse by just reading.
Warmth of it and too retouched sound is not so well pairing. This's just my point. You can found others love it.

Thanks for your comment. I actually did own KSE1500 with sp1kss two years ago. Sold just to try new things and spend time with full size HE6se until now.

The sound of that set still haunting me so I am on the mission to get it back. Due to limited budget now, I can either get kse1500 alone (with usb pc dac or low range dap like I said) or kse1200 with more expensive dap.

I have never tried 1200 though, but if you said punching and slam are better than 1500 then I would love to give them a try as my genre is prog. metal like Dream Theater.

1. Then what would you suggest? 1500 and use internal dac until I can save more for sp1kss or other at the same league in the future / or just go with 1200 + mid class dap (but not up to sp1kss) for now.

2. Let's say I will spend 50% time with PC (streaming, youtube, etc.) and another with dap (on-the-go / offline) Will DAP still do the 1st 50% part acting as an ext. dac receiving digital signal from whatever PC is playing? Will it burn out the dap's battery using this way too long?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #5,642 of 6,081
yup. that's why I plan to also get an external usb dac to use with kse1500/1200.

I will mostly use this with PC (desktop and laptop) via Tidal, youtube, etc. (and maybe Roon) but still cannot make a decision for the two options below.

A: USB dongle DAC (for both with PC and maybe on-the-go with mobile phone sometimes) / Qudelix, Violectric Chronos, L&P W12, etc.

B: get a dap. this will be used as "ext. dac" receiving signal streamed/online from Tidal, PC when I'm at home. and it can be an on-the-go player when I'm outside (offline)

I believe option B should be better (even though it needed to be recharged).

Can you please share what you think? (for B, due to my budget, all I can afford for now is WM1A or others in the same price range)

Thanks
I would ignore KSE1500 and focus on the 1200. I waited for it after hearing the 1500. Loved the sound, hated the built in DAC. I drive my 1200's with an antiquated Fiio X7 mk2. It sounds wonderful.

If the 1200 is going to be your primary IEM's, I would focus on a midgrade DAP with good DAC's. You don't need a topend unit as they also focus on amp section. The Fiio M11 plus would be a perfect fit. Good set of dual dacs. Can do streaming and online stuff and can also act as a usb dac if you want to feed thru your PC.

Jan 7, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #5,643 of 6,081
Thanks for your comment. I actually did own KSE1500 with sp1kss two years ago. Sold just to try new things and spend time with full size HE6se until now.

The sound of that set still haunting me so I am on the mission to get it back. Due to limited budget now, I can either get kse1500 alone (with usb pc dac or low range dap like I said) or kse1200 with more expensive dap.

I have never tried 1200 though, but if you said punching and slam are better than 1500 then I would love to give them a try as my genre is prog. metal like Dream Theater.

1. Then what would you suggest? 1500 and use internal dac until I can save more for sp1kss or other at the same league in the future / or just go with 1200 + mid class dap (but not up to sp1kss) for now.

2. Let's say I will spend 50% time with PC (streaming, youtube, etc.) and another with dap (on-the-go / offline) Will DAP still do the 1st 50% part acting as an ext. dac receiving digital signal from whatever PC is playing? Will it burn out the dap's battery using this way too long?

Thanks again!
You may pick up 1200 and an iphone6 for using(because of cheap) with quite ok sound quality.
I dont use a dap as a mobile dac to know if battery last longer or doesnt.
Theorically dac mode consumes less power, and get charged in so it last longer.
If you asked about battery lifespan under charging/discharging sametime, I have no answer. 1500 allow disable charging in dac mode. 1200 have no such feature.
However, I use that way for my phone and thinking ok.
Battery killer is just temperature.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #5,644 of 6,081
Hi all, I've been looking through this thread and I have two questions:

1. I see clipping is mentioned quite a bit - with the 1500 running through a different chain than the bundled amp, how do you determine if clipping is occurring or prevent it? Is it audible whenever it is occurring? (In other words, can you tell it's occurring even without the clipping light on the bundled amp.)

2. Would these specific Spinfits fit the 1500 (for nozzle diameter 4.5-5mm)? https://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-CP10...a5260&pd_rd_wg=kjWDx&pd_rd_i=B01B793SLU&psc=1

Jan 7, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #5,645 of 6,081

1. I see clipping is mentioned quite a bit - with the 1500 running through a different chain than the bundled amp, how do you determine if clipping is occurring or prevent it? Is it audible whenever it is occurring? (In other words, can you tell it's occurring even without the clipping light on the bundled amp.)

2. Would these specific Spinfits fit the 1500 (for nozzle diameter 4.5-5mm)? https://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-CP10...a5260&pd_rd_wg=kjWDx&pd_rd_i=B01B793SLU&psc=1
Yes and No.
Kse (both model) has clip indicator.
Also human can heard when it happen.
Shure almost model use 2.0mm: CP800, etc

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #5,647 of 6,081

Yes there is an indicator. If you use a dap to feed, make sure it has selectable gain. I run mine on low. Also, if your files are flac, I would analyze them for volume, and use the player gain function. It will lower the file volume during playback, but the kse amp has more than enough power to make them loud to compensate for any lowering that make occur.

I use the Spinfit CP240's. They are dual flange. They isolate and seal very well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X3VT9F9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #5,649 of 6,081
please advise the best DAC for them for 3.5mm connection
tried different AKM and ESS
but i think there is something better
I took my own advice and picked up a M11+LTD. As I thought, it is a good platform for IEM's. The AKM's it has sound wonderful. Excellent clarity and detail. Drive's both my SE846 and KSE1200 far above what I had. I will also evaluate an ES unit should the bookstore start selling.

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #5,650 of 6,081

I want to expand on point 1. Having moved upto the M11+ltd, I installed the Android Neutron Player App that I was using on my previous unit. This player has alot of functionality. Besides replay gain that reads the analyzed volume tag (if your files were analyzed) and adjust output accordingly, Neutron has an automatic gain control which further watches your output. Even with replay gain on, some of my tracks were clipping (red led on KSE amp) and I could hear it. Applying and adjusting the auto gain further eliminated all of it. Volume was adjustable far above what you would be comfortable with.

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #5,651 of 6,081
I've had the KSE1200 with the iFi nano iDSD black label DAC, playing Tidal via USB from my android phone for a few months now. I thought I'd note my experience with the system.

I think that the KSE1200 offers the best audio experience available at any price for many reasons. One reason is due to the fact that it eliminates all room problems, including surrounding noise, by being a sealed in-ear earphone. Secondly, it has the smallest, lightest, full range electrostatic driver available in the world. Thirdly, being battery powered, a lot of the noise from the electrical grid is eliminated. Also by using a battery powered DAC and DAP, the system is completely isolated from electrical noise. Finally, the ability to transport the KSE1200 system allows you to transform almost any environment into a personal audio sanctuary.

I experimented with different tips, but ended up with the triple flange tips. The triple flange tips seem to go a little too deep before getting the perfect seal, with the shell seating into my ear, and I noticed in the manual that it says that the triple flange tips can be trimmed. The trimmed triple flange tips are perfect for my ears. There's a little nodule of extra silicone on the shaft of the tip, and I just use scissors to cut off the shaft of the triple flange after the nodule.

I've worn out a pair of the triple flange tips, so I recommend buying a couple replacement sets. I find myself listening about 3-4 hours/day, 3-4 times a week, and the tips seemed to last about 6 weeks before being deformed to where they wouldn't seal.

I would highly recommend the KSE1200 system with a battery powered DAC and source to anyone that enjoys high resolution sound that is offered from electrostatic speakers such as Martin Logan and Quad, and other high resolution speakers such as Magnepan.

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend the KSE1200 to people that haven't had $1000+ headphones or $5,000+ stereo systems, because I don't know if they'd appreciate what the KSE1200 offers. I think in order to make "the hassle" of having an external DAC (keeping it charged), keeping the KSE1200 energizer charged, and being extra gentle with the system during use; it's necessary to really appreciate how much better the KSE1200 is than everything else.

Jan 25, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #5,653 of 6,081
I've had the KSE1200 with the iFi nano iDSD black label DAC, playing Tidal via USB from my android phone for a few months now. I thought I'd note my experience with the system.

I think that the KSE1200 offers the best audio experience available at any price for many reasons. One reason is due to the fact that it eliminates all room problems, including surrounding noise, by being a sealed in-ear earphone. Secondly, it has the smallest, lightest, full range electrostatic driver available in the world. Thirdly, being battery powered, a lot of the noise from the electrical grid is eliminated. Also by using a battery powered DAC and DAP, the system is completely isolated from electrical noise. Finally, the ability to transport the KSE1200 system allows you to transform almost any environment into a personal audio sanctuary.

I experimented with different tips, but ended up with the triple flange tips. The triple flange tips seem to go a little too deep before getting the perfect seal, with the shell seating into my ear, and I noticed in the manual that it says that the triple flange tips can be trimmed. The trimmed triple flange tips are perfect for my ears. There's a little nodule of extra silicone on the shaft of the tip, and I just use scissors to cut off the shaft of the triple flange after the nodule.

I've worn out a pair of the triple flange tips, so I recommend buying a couple replacement sets. I find myself listening about 3-4 hours/day, 3-4 times a week, and the tips seemed to last about 6 weeks before being deformed to where they wouldn't seal.

I would highly recommend the KSE1200 system with a battery powered DAC and source to anyone that enjoys high resolution sound that is offered from electrostatic speakers such as Martin Logan and Quad, and other high resolution speakers such as Magnepan.

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend the KSE1200 to people that haven't had $1000+ headphones or $5,000+ stereo systems, because I don't know if they'd appreciate what the KSE1200 offers. I think in order to make "the hassle" of having an external DAC (keeping it charged), keeping the KSE1200 energizer charged, and being extra gentle with the system during use; it's necessary to really appreciate how much better the KSE1200 is than everything else.
My best portable setup
D52F2FDE-BCFC-4FA0-B41A-1C86F3300A2C.jpeg
Never fails to deliver regardless of the device feeding it

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #5,655 of 6,081
I'm gonna have to try the triple flange. My only real experience with them was long, long ago when I used them with Etymotics. I do feel tip-rolling is really important with these, as they can sound drastically different with different tips.
I dunno how I feel about this. I think starting out with something like the KSE1200 is a good thing because after listening to them for prolonged amounts of time and then going to something else, you're gonna appreciate what you're missing. You might find yourself returning the FOTM because what you have is just so much better. However, having different flavors can be fun, too!

Give HQPlayer a try if you can. It'll require listening via a computer, but using something like Gauss-xla filters really adds to the listening experience for me. I'm curious as to what others may think as well. It has a trial mode, so you're out nothing to listen to a few songs and see if you like the difference or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back