shure e3 and e2 most revealing of shure line
Jul 16, 2006 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wanderman

Headphoneus Supremus
According to the frequency response graphs on headphone.com the shure e3 and e2 models have superior frequency response range to the e4, e5 and even the e500 so doesn’t make these headphone more accurate, revealing, and "audiophile" by the simple fact that these lower models can produce sounds that the upper range models can't reproduce.

I would love to cofirm this with my ears but the e4's I once had are no longer mine.

Jul 16, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #2 of 13
Disagree, tho I concede I haven't listened to e2c in a month, e3c get their butts very audibly kicked by E4c. Spend the extra $70 or whatever, you'll be happy for a while. Frequency curves for IEM are much less meaningful for IEM than for full-size headphones, due to extra degrees of freedom of fit and seal with your particular cartilage appendage

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lostbobby
Frequency curves for IEM are much less meaningful for IEM than for full-size headphones, due to extra degrees of freedom of fit and seal with your particular cartilage appendage

That still dosent change the fact that when measured with a dummy head the e2 and e3 still is capable of producing sounds that the e5's and e4's are mechanically unable to produce.

edit: it would be nice for someone with both of these headphone to use an eq or pure tones to test this.

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman
That still dosent change the fact that when measured with a dummy head the e2 and e3 still is capable of producing sounds that the e5's and e4's are mechanically unable to produce.

Its capable, but why do people just buy the higher end stuff? All I know is to trust your own ears, if you think the E2/3 is better then so what? Listen to your own ears.

BTW: The E4 to my own ears sounds better than the 2 and 3. Yes I've had them all.

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Its capable, but why do people just buy the higher end stuff? All I know is to trust your own ears, if you think the E2/3 is better then so what? Listen to your own ears.

BTW: The E4 to my own ears sounds better than the 2 and 3. Yes I've had them all.

I am not asking which is better I just would like to know if the e3's and e2's can produce sounds that the e4's and e5's can't. I am not talking about quality merely capability. Can the e2's and e3's produce +16 kHz stuff that the e4's and e5's can’t? All you need is s pure tone or an eq to test this.

edit: 16khz>+16khz

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

I am not asking which is better I just would like to know if the e3's and e2's can produce sounds that the e4's and e5's can't. I am not talking about quality merely capability. Can the e2's and e3's produce +16 kHz stuff that the e4's and e5's can’t? All you need is s pure tone or an eq to test this.

edit: 16khz>+16khz

Apparently they can, if the person is a dummy.
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Frequency responce is not a good measuring device for quality. Perhaps cheaper one has some frequency played louder than more expensive one, but it sounds complete crap and inaccurate next to expensive model?

Jul 16, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 13
graphCompare.php

At about 16khz I presume both the e4 and e5 do not produce any sound but the e3 and e2 still do. Can anyone confirm this using an equalizer or pure tone.

Jul 17, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 13
Can you even hear 16hz? I can't.

I can feel it though, with my subwoofer.

Jul 17, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

At about 16khz I presume both the e4 and e5 do not produce any sound but the e3 and e2 still do. Can anyone confirm this using an equalizer or pure tone.

Believe me when I say that the the E2c, E3c, E4c and E5c, along with every half-decent pair of cans on the planet can easily produce 16khz.

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoLobster
Believe me when I say that the the E2c, E3c, E4c and E5c, along with every half-decent pair of cans on the planet can easily produce 16khz.

I am talking about sounds in excess of 16khz. Look at the graphs and see that there is no continuation of the line past what I presume to be 16khz.

edit: How does frequency response not mean anything every comparison I have read describes the headphones almost exactly as the graph presents it's sound. Frequency respone confirmed the bass fall off that users were hearing on the 3rd gen ipods. 16,000hz=16khz not 16 hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back