shure e2c, how are they?
Dec 4, 2004 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

CyberGhost

100+ Head-Fier
hey!

I'm thinking of buying those, can anyone who owns them tell me if they are good?

I currently own Senn Mx500s, are they better then these?

what I'm looking for most of all is the clarity.

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 21
Clarity may not be the e2 strongest point. It's treble is rolled off compared to its stronger mids and bass, but is still definitely a step up from the mx500. You may want to try one of etys offerings for clarity, though I have not had a listen to them yet.

Dec 4, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 21
For a percise, clear, detailed sound, Ety beats Shure IMO.

Jim

Dec 4, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 21
but cheapest etys, are almost twice the price of e2c
frown.gif

how do e2c compare to grado sr225?

Dec 4, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 21
I had the E5c for 3 weeks and decided to return them and now I got a pair of E2c instead. Yes the highs are rolled off but to me it's managable via a little EQ'ing with my mp3 player. The E2c provide simliar performance to E5c (Say around 80~85%). Certainly more worthy of their price than the E5c IMO. So if good detail isn't a must and if you can EQ a bit I think E2c is a pretty good choice.

I had a pair of SR325 before and the SR325 have so much more high end it can be a bit painful at times. I would say the SR325 is better than the E5c from my memory and that means it is certainly better than the E2c. But I have no idea how SR325 compares to the 225. They're different animals from what I read here.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #8 of 21
Best of luck! Make sure you obtain a decent seal by trying both the foamies and silicone tips. The silicone tips are harder but reusable, whereas the foamies are softer and give a better seal, but must be washed and only last a certain number of months before rendered useless.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 21
The silicone tips on the E2 hurt. ; ;

But I've gotta use them since all I have is those, and no medium foamies. *cry*

I would rather have E3, if only for the ultra-soft sleeves which are supposed to be very comfy.

I like how my E2 sounds, when EQed. Without EQ it sucks, which may not be best with an iPod Mini. I use the Latin preset and it makes the highs clearer and unmuddies the bass without distorting (like the Rock preset does, distorts).

Dec 4, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I use the Latin preset and it makes the highs clearer and unmuddies the bass without distorting (like the Rock preset does, distorts).

I also use latin with my Ety ER4P. Seems to smooth out the highs and help the base a little too.

But the Etys sound pretty good without EQ, I just prefer latin.

Jim

Dec 8, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #11 of 21
i tried matching my 4-band EQ in my creative zen xtra to my foobar EQ settings...and it sounds horrible, compared to my chaintech :\ It only goes up to 12k, so i can't really do much about the 14k+ lack of detail. I'm using the Pop EAX preset right now, sounds a little better.

Dec 8, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 21
Im satisfied with the sound and isolation But on bicycle their isolation is as useless as any other phone due to Windnoise. They are just too odd to get in and out, plus buying foamies, cleaning foamies. Result i dont use them that much.. next move: trying out hd25 sp, or ultrasone hfi 550/650
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 21
I just recently got the E2C and still am evaluating them. The sounds seems a little off to me. I can't put my finger on it exactly but things just sound a bit off, the instruments just don't sound right. Perhaps when they break in a bit, it'll sound better. This is in addition to the rolled off highs and muddy bass. I'm not planning on returning them because overall, they are pretty good (and hopefully will get better)

I've had the MX500s for years and actually prefer their sonic signature to the E2C. IMO, the MX500 has a less muddy bass and better mids and highs than the E2C (But my E2C, still being new, may open up a bit with use.). I got the Shures to fill the "unamped isolation" catagory (I have the Ety ER-4S for when I have my amp along) and the MX500 doesn't isolate at all. I do find the Shures very comfortable though, and can wear them for extended periods. Others compain about comfort which just shows that canal phones fit different people differently.

As for the SR225 (which I also have), there is no comparison with the E2C. After listening to the E2C for a while, putting the Grados on brings a really big smile to my face.

Michael

Dec 8, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #14 of 21
The E2c are great for on the go phones.....try doing that with Grados. I love the Shure E2's with my Network Walkman for doing work around the house and at work since there are not a lot of listening chances. For the home rig I would want something better which I just sold all mine because I am never in one spot long enough. Someday when things settle down I will have another amp and headphones but they say the E2's also sound much better with a amp. I think they are rather musical when you get a good seal but EQing is an issue because I tried another Sony unit and it wasn't as musical sounding as mine and I couldn't get the sound to match, so best of luck.

Dec 9, 2004 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberGhost
if e2cs are more clear then mx500s(which to me are very clear) then I'm fine!

are they?

In a word: No. I owned the MX500s for a long time before I got the E2s. The MX500s are "clearer". However, the E2s are better in every other possible respect: more comfortable, better isolation, better impact, better bass, better overall sound quality. Personally I think the MX500s sound awful, but "clarity" is a treble-dependent feature, and the MX500s have treble out the wazoo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back