Shure Black Foamies Size?
Mar 17, 2008 at 3:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
I'm hoping a few of you can help me out here with some measurements, so that I can order the proper size Shure black foamies (olives). I was given a pair by Sugarfried at the first National Meet a few years ago, and I'd like to order some more for various other IEMs that I have, but I'm unsure as to the size. I measured the diameter (across the flat portion) and came up with 9/16 inch.
So if a few of you would be willing to measure theirs (small, medium, and large), I would know which to order. To complicate matters, my ear canals are of different sizes, and the size olive I have fits perfectly in one ear, but is a bit too large in the other. So I'll likely order two different sizes.......that's why I need to know the measurements of all size olives.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 11
A mid size is 10.5mm on the flat side, donno how that convert to inch tho
wink.gif

If your is larger than it must be large, vise versa.

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 11
Here's a post from last year where I compared all of the Shure tips I had on hand

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...8/#post2839849

The size I need varies on how far in my ear the IEM goes. I don't get a seal with my UM1 without using the large tips. For the im716, I use medium tips, but I could use a small tip in one ear if I could get it on the nozzle.

Edit: The measurements are approximations using a ruler, so they may be off a little, but the relative sizes should give you some idea.

Mar 17, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you look at the bottom of the flat side, there are dot(s).
one is small, two is medium and so on.
I know this because I bought both small and medium.
I hope this helps.

I haven't seen the small, but you don't need to look at the bottom to tell medium from large. The large are huge. It looks like there's no way you can get that in your ear, and I can't with the im716. But because the UM1 sits in the end of the ear canal, it fits comfortably. I barely have to compress them. With the medium and the comply tips, I don't have to compress them at all, they go loosely in my ear and don't seal, so no bass.

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the help, guys! I'm just about positive I have the large (they're bigger than any of the large Shure flex tips), so I guess I'll order the medium and the large to fit my mis-matched ear canals.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 11
Medium will be big enough, or so I believe. They are huge when they are expanded to maximum size, and there are ways to expand them as well.

Mar 18, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 11
I would definitely say pick the size that you wear in silicone tips. They also have dots on the flat part 1 dot is a small 2 dots is a medium and 3 is a large. And like you my right one fits perfect, but my left one feels wierd. Like it's more filled in on the right side, even though the sound is the same...just has a wierd feeling.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 11
Again, thanks to all for the replies. I looked for the dots, but mine are unfortunately blank. As I said, these were given out at the first National Head-Fi Convention in NY by Sugarfried from Shure. They were not yet available commercially, so I believe they were prototypes...................hence, no dots to identify size. I'll be ordering the medium and the large so that all bases are covered. I'm pretty sure I don't wear small, as any small tips I have just float around inside the canal and create no seal whatsoever. Do people really have ear canals that small?
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 11
hey if you end finding large to big for you, my other two pairs of mediums are a little too small...so maybe we could trade 2 new pairs each if so?

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, thanks to all for the replies. I looked for the dots, but mine are unfortunately blank. As I said, these were given out at the first National Head-Fi Convention in NY by Sugarfried from Shure. They were not yet available commercially, so I believe they were prototypes...................hence, no dots to identify size. I'll be ordering the medium and the large so that all bases are covered. I'm pretty sure I don't wear small, as any small tips I have just float around inside the canal and create no seal whatsoever. Do people really have ear canals that small?
wink.gif

I could use small in my left ear on my im716. Unfortunately, I can't get the small on the nozzle so I make do with medium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back