Shure 846Ear vs Sonic S-EM6 vs FitEar To Go 334
Nov 20, 2013 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

vlad5tefan

New Head-Fier
Shure 846Ear vs Sonic S-EM6 vs FitEar To Go 334, which should I go for. I like instrument and vocal clarity, spectrum separation, subwoofer bass, but not really a bass head.

I've listened to EarSonic SM64, Shure 535.

Had Sony XBA-4, and FinalAudio Fi-BA-SS without any use of DACs.

Currently uses EarSonic SM3 v2 when I want a good deep trailing bass*, and will change to Westone 4R when I want overall separation and clarity.

Which of those the 3 should I go for? Haven't tried the 3 hands on. But based on my personal research, I can say that I am interested with Shure due "True Subwoofer" ads and for the reason that shure has great overall separation and clarity to me.

or should I go Custom and cramp my ears with 12 BA's from JH Audio ROXANNE?

=====================================================
Shure 846 - Quad BA (Sub-woofer), cable can be upgrade/replace
=====================================================
Review by Jude (http://www.head-fi.org/t/663180/shure-se846-a-new-in-ear-flagship-from-shure-finally-impressions-p26-28)

Shure opted for a four-driver design, and innovated a pretty radical low-pass filter design to properly purpose the low-frequency drivers into the roles of subwoofers--True Subwoofer design, as Shure calls it. How this low-pass filter works is by incorporating ten precision-welded stainless steel plates to form a four-inch, high acoustic mass pathway that enables low frequency roll-off beginning around 75Hz. By using this low-pass filter to effectively roll-off unwanted midrange and high frequencies coming from the low-frequency drivers, midrange clarity and detail isn't sacrificed, despite the SE846's ability to deliver very visceral bass.

If you've loved Shure's previous high-end in-ears for their midrange, you're in for a treat with the SE846, as it's more resolving in the midband than any in-ear Shure has ever made, and certainly one of the top performers--in terms of body and resolution in the midrange--that I've had experience with, certainly when compared to any other universal-fit in-ears I've yet heard.

In terms of treble, many among even the most dedicated Shure SE535 devotees have longed for a bit more sparkle--some way to let the music shimmer just a wee bit more, but without sacrificing the beautifully smooth character of the Shure flagship. Once again, Shure took a bold step here, too, providing an interchangeable nozzle filter system that allows the user to choose three different treble profiles--balanced, warm and bright. (I'm not sure if these are the names that'll be given to the different nozzles in the production version SE846, but that's what they're called now.)

The balanced nozzle (which is what comes installed) is intended to essentially provide more neutral treble performance. The warm nozzle has a nominal -2.5dB decrease in treble (versus the balanced nozzle) from 1kHz to 8kHz. The bright nozzle has a nominal +2.5dB increase in treble (versus the balanced nozzle) from 1kHz to 8kHz. I've only had the SE846 for a few days, and I've been going back and forth between the balanced and bright nozzles. To my ears, this nozzle filter system has been very well engineered, as (a) they work very well to do just what they are designed to do, and (b) they do so without sounding at all unnatural, having no impact that I can hear on the SE846's coherence or imaging.

=======================================
EarSonic S-EM6 - 6 BA 3-way passive crossover 
(review by Roger Ngaw) http://headfijourney.blogspot.com/2013/09/earsonics-s-em6.html

Bass:   
The bass on the S-EM6 was tight and controlled. Although it may not have the lowest bass response among IEMs, it is nevertheless very good and on the whole it sounded very balanced. I especially enjoyed the double bass on Michael Buble's rendition of George Michael's classic 
Kissing A Fool
. I did not find the bass lacking on Robin Thicke's bass heavy 
Blurred Lines
. The drums on Lorde's 
Royals
 sounded absolutely huge! Enough said.

Midrange:    
The most stunning quality of the S-EM6 was its mid-range. Vocals sounded lush and crystal clear, and filled to the brim with details. Norah Jones sounded intimate and very 3 dimensional on
 Don't Know Why
. Another one of my favorite tracks for vocals is Billy Joel's 
An Innocent Man
. It sounded marvelous with the S-EM6, with refined and detailed vocals with nuances I've never heard in other IEMs so far. I also thoroughly enjoyed Diana Krall's 
Let's Face the Music and Dance. 

Treble:    
The treble on the S-EM6 was very well extended and smooth without any hint of harshness. Because of this, some may find it to lack the typical "hi-fi" sound (often associated with exaggerated treble) upon initial listening. When I switched from a Sennheiser IE800, the treble on the S-EM6 did sound subdued.

Soundstage   
The soundstage of the S-EM6 was wide, certainly amongst the widest in the IEMs I've heard.  The music never sounded "closed in". This was amply demonstrated by Nigel Kennedy's performance of 
Bach's Violin Concerto in E, BWV 1042
 (with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra). Imaging was great too. It was easy to place different instruments within the soundstage. PRaT? The S-EM6 had bucket loads. It was really engaging with R&B and rock tracks. 

Overall the EarSonics S-EM6 is indeed something very special. Sonic wise, nothing is lacking. It is very revealing and balanced across the frequencies. It is very enjoyable to listen to and sounds great with all genres of music, but really shines with vocals.

FitEar To Go 334 3 BA 3-way passive crossover
Bass:  Very good depth and texture, having a punchier tautness than most dynamics I've heard, but doesn't quite have that ultimate slam and extension. However one small tick on an EQ or bass adjust nicely adds weight, and even when listening rather spiritedly I've never once heard a driver clipping which has happened with every other BA I've owned.

Midrange:  Stunning, detailed, layered, full and lifelike. I've never heard any earphone (BA or dynamic) with the natural richness these have. I feel this is the biggest strength of the Fitear. 

Treble:  The top end has awesome tactile feel, with cymbals having a true palpability and shimmer. However the utmost extension has been noted by others as not quite the best. Personally I don't find anything at all lacking as all my music collection sounds completely natural with no aspect shorted in the least. I do note that my MK2 GR07s give the impression of a touch more extension and shimmer, but I wonder if it's possibly at the expense of being slightly artificially boosted. Hard to say.

Soundstage:  Or 'headstage' shall we say... It's definitely sizable for an IEM (some owners have said they feel it's bit intimate rather than super-wide). So perhaps not the last word in ultimate width, but I've never heard spatial cues and instrument placement done so well in any IEM. That aspect is quite amazing, and it's far and away more 3D feeling than any other I've heard. 

Overall, these aspects combine to give an earphone which is a marvel of sonic richness and scale. I absolutely love late night listening sessions with these, and I think it'll take a huge leap in earphone tech to overtake them. 

(from Head-fi.org) ~sorry couldn't state the reviewer. sorta lost while composing these thread.

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 2
Great review!
I'm thinking of getting and end game universal iem such as one of these. Can anyone post which high end universal do you prefer and why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back