Shure 535 can be improved by replacing the cables!
Mar 25, 2011 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

bmiamihk

Aka: useitifuhaveit, Ceremony69, vanitang, jacko, EarImpact
Since I bought the Shure 535 I have been not satisfied with the bass. I went to a store and was thinking of buying another earphone or trading these in. The guy at the store handed me sone pure silver wire that replaces the stock Shure 535 and wow, there was a lot more thump of bass! I compared the Shure 535 with these silver cables to a amplifier and wow very close sounds. I bought the silver wires and I am so pleased now with the bass, a whole new earphones now.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 34
I have no doubt they can be improved with better cables. Not sure about pure silver giving more bass though. Usually silver cable are used to decrease bass as with the IE8. There are some on ebay already that can be used for Shure like this one...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220744994393&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #4 of 34

Quote:
With all due respect, I don't believe you. 

You can disagree with me , but i am just informing what happened. I wanted to get rid of my Shure 535 and also wanted to repair my cables on my UE Pro5EB and buy a new pair of Atrios. I tried out some amps to see if the Shure 535 could sound better and they did but then he handed me 2 cables made for the Shures 535. One was silver cable with another metal and the other was pure silver cable. I was ready to throw down a lot of money but I left buying the silver cable and I have been listening the same 10 tracks for the last week and every track now sounds tighter with a lot more bass. So I am staying with the Shure's but I am also going to get a custom fit Atrios ear phones.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 34
Hello I tried the IE8 they were soso, I also tried the JH16 and they were a bit better. These cables do work well this is my opinion and they cost around $100 Dollars. The music is generally louded and the bass is now there.

Quote:
I have no doubt they can be improved with better cables. Not sure about pure silver giving more bass though. Usually silver cable are used to decrease bass as with the IE8. There are some on ebay already that can be used for Shure like this one...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220744994393&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 34
I tried the Earsonics  SM3  they sounded real nice with a bit more bass than the 535!

Quote:
Since I bought the Shure 535 I have been not satisfied with the bass. I went to a store and was thinking of buying another earphone or trading these in. The guy at the store handed me sone pure silver wire that replaces the stock Shure 535 and wow, there was a lot more thump of bass! I compared the Shure 535 with these silver cables to a amplifier and wow very close sounds. I bought the silver wires and I am so pleased now with the bass, a whole new earphones now.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 34
I always find it rather curious that if an IEM happens to have harsh treble, an aftermarket cable tames the high frequencies.

If an IEM has recessed mids, an aftermarket cable solves the problem and brings the mids forward, just to were they should be.

If an IEM has bloated/ booming bass, an aftermarket cable suddenly makes the bass tight and refined.

If an IEM has a narrow soundstage, suddenly that soundstage widens.

To this day I don't believe in such 'miracles'. My experience with cables has shown me there's no change whatsoever.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 34
Maybe you are corect from your experience. I am not rich but I enjoy a great sound. I was ready to throw down a lot of money to get the sound I wanted and I will do soon. But after hearing what these cables did I am not trading in my Shure's.

Quote:
I always find it rather curious that if an IEM happens to have harsh treble, an aftermarket cable tames the high frequencies.

If an IEM has recessed mids, an aftermarket cable solves the problem and brings the mids forward, just to were they should be.

If an IEM has bloated/ booming bass, an aftermarket cable suddenly makes the bass tight and refined.

If an IEM has a narrow soundstage, suddenly that soundstage widens.

To this day I don't believe in such 'miracles'. My experience with cables has shown me there's no change whatsoever.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 34
What these cables did I will say it plainly, it gave made more bass come out of the 535. A amp can do that and these cables did too.

Quote:
Maybe you are corect from your experience. I am not rich but I enjoy a great sound. I was ready to throw down a lot of money to get the sound I wanted and I will do soon. But after hearing what these cables did I am not trading in my Shure's.

May 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 34
Silver cables will improve the sound. Even though the silver cable I got are way too short I have been using them cause of how well they improve my Shure 535 which on the stock cables were lacking bass.

May 23, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 34
Sorry, the physics doesn't work. The cable's job is the passive linear transmission of voltage. Any change to the content can only be regarded as technically inaccurate.

But if it magically sounds better to your ears, good for you, I guess.

May 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 34
Thank you, yes your are correct but I have a thousand bucks wanting to spend it and i will on a new pair but for now I can hear the difference. I am not a kid who believes in magic and I really liked the stock cables on the Shure 535 which was one of the main reasons why I got the earphones due to me walking 2 hrs a day to and from work and I have broken many other earphone cables a long the way to work.

May 24, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #13 of 34
Would you mind doing a blind test on this?  The test parameters should be as follows:

- Get a friend to swap out the cables for you, and blindfold yourself.  
- Have said friend hold the cables away from your body so you can't tell the difference by how they feel.  
- Now,  get your friend to flip a coin a few times, and arbitrarily decide which cable corresponds to which face of the coin.
- Get him to mark them down on a sheet of paper, then proceed to swap the cables for you and play the same test track at the same volume for the same amount of time.
- When you finish listening to it, write either a "X" or an "O" depending on whichever you feel it is, or a "--" if you can't tell, onto a sticky note then peel it away for the next one, and place it on top of the last one.  
- Whether it's an X or an O should be decided by a coin toss by you before the test begins.

Seems scientific enough for me.  Though if you don't want to go to this much trouble, that's fine too. :p

But blind testing is the only way to really prove it to others on the board, one way or another - some people, me included, simply don't believe it when people say that they hear a difference when I have not heard such a difference myself.

If you do decide to do this though, you should probably put it in the sound science board. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back