Shpongle is shpecial.
Jan 27, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #18 of 44
The best electronic music I've ever heard was written by Jean Michelle Jarre. No other electronic comes close IMO:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #20 of 44
Listen to them all, there is no boring moment no album is bad in anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif
Make sure you listen to the album in order and the whole thing in one sitting.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #21 of 44
What genre is Shpongle in?

Is it Psydub or Psybient, or somehting else?
Or is psydub just a sub-genre of psybient...
confused.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #22 of 44
I'm pretty sure its psybient - in the sense that it is psychadelic but more soundscape based than psytrance (ergo ambient).

As for where to start. start at the beginning or with tales of the inexpressible (one of my least favourite shpongles but easy to get into.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best electronic music I've ever heard was written by Jean Michelle Jarre. No other electronic comes close IMO:

Good Goa is superior by a fair margin IMO.

That flip around at 3:35 (4:00 on the album) blows my mind every time.

If you're having trouble getting into this sort of stuff, I highly recommend using a set of headphones with low bass impact/volume

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for where to start. start at the beginning or with tales of the inexpressible

Agreed, although I find it to be their best album. I'd say go Tales --> Are you Shpongled? --> Nothing Lasts... --> Ineffable Mysteries

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #24 of 44
deleted

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #25 of 44
I was Shpongled last year and I shared some with a friend who only hears it on his iMac speakers and loves it. I can't convince him that headphones can be great, he just laughs. Anyways I just thought I would share that a while ago I was on Amazon and based on user reviews and comparisons I found Phutureprimitive who are great but unfortunately only put out one release from what I could tell. I ordered it without even giving a listen just based on what I read. I think it was because at least one person mentioned they sound a bit like The Crystal Method and Shpongle, and I agree. So for people skimming:

Phutureprimitive - Sub Conscious

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, although I find it to be their best album. I'd say go Tales --> Are you Shpongled? --> Nothing Lasts... --> Ineffable Mysteries

I really love the track "Dorset Perception", but the rest of Tales doesn't do much for me (maybe flute fruit and my head feels like a frisbee) but otherwise for me its are you shpongled > Nothing lasts > Tales >> Ineffable

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by keithdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone does drugs.. Alcohol? Nicotine? Caffeine?? Tylenol?? Sorry, just being a smart-ass.
biggrin.gif

Alcohol? Nope!
Nicotine? Nope!
Caffeine? Nope!
Tylenol (acetaminophen)? Nope!

But since drug is "foreign substance in the body that effects its functions", I probably do drugs in some form.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alcohol? Nope!
Nicotine? Nope!
Caffeine? Nope!
Tylenol (acetaminophen)? Nope!

But since drug is "foreign substance in the body that effects its functions", I probably do drugs in some form.

I can respect you for trying to keep caffeine out of your diet, it's not so easy to do! Even (most) chocolate has caffeine, albeit not a great deal. I do understand you concerning APAP though.. I try to avoid all painkillers myself (especially opiates, considering my struggles with addiction, and NSAIDs give me stomach troubles). Just as well, I too avoid indulging in Alcohol; this, however, is much more due to doctor's orders than freewill.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol How about this one:

Do you think Goa is still better? Although perhaps not by such a wide margin anymore?
wink.gif

I honestly can't tell if Pianist is joking or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back