Show us your vintage headphones!
Jun 2, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #1,186 of 3,125
is that an opinion I hear? :D and this headphone looks weird... deleted link because a person pm'd me and told me its a d*** move to post an eBay link to a rare headphone...

Well, I can't hear them from where I am, but they look AWESOME! It's like you have two actual speakers on your head.

As opposed to having two hypothetical speakers on my head...?

Yes! Hypothetical speakers are THE WORST! Save your imaginary money and pretend to not buy them!
just reposting my eBay link to the oddest cans I have seen in a long time... And is this conversation possibly going to start making sense soon?

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #1,187 of 3,125
is this conversation possibly going to start making sense soon?

uh, no, I pointed out his improper usage of the word "actual" and he responded as if I were joking, so I'm going to ignore it and end the conversation there

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,188 of 3,125
uh, no, I pointed out his improper usage of the word "actual" and he responded as if I were joking, so I'm going to ignore it and end the conversation there
lol. I thought he was just trolling. Anyways, nice cans! Btw, what is your profile picture of? It reminds me of digimon lol.

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,189 of 3,125

lol. I thought he was just trolling. Anyways, nice cans! Btw, what is your profile picture of? It reminds me of digimon lol.

my main fursona

his facial and ear markings are loosely based off of Dorumon's evolutionary line so that's probably why you think of digimon

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,190 of 3,125
one of my fursonas, his facial and ear markings are loosely based off of Dorumon's evolutionary line so that's probably why you think of digimon
ah a furry. I am partially a furry, and have 2 friends in real life who are gigantically involved in the fandom. I'm more of a pony guy though... But, back to vintage cans!

Jun 2, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #1,191 of 3,125
Yes! Hypothetical speakers are THE WORST! Save your imaginary money and pretend to not buy them!

I lol'd.
beyersmile.png

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #1,192 of 3,125

ah a furry. I am partially a furry, and have 2 friends in real life who are gigantically involved in the fandom. I'm more of a pony guy though... But, back to vintage cans!

Woah. I'm getting poked at with grammar lessons by a couple of guys who then begin to talk about their "fursonas"? On a headphone forum?!

I don't know what kind alternate reality I've stepped into, but it's WICKED cool!

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #1,193 of 3,125
  To hell with you people and your modern AKG K240 variants and knockoffs, vintage K240 knockoffs are the way to go!

Here's my newly acquired, like-new-in-box, Philips N6330, an OEM of the K240 Sextett.

These are in almost perfect shape; the only problem is that the right side badge is missing. Both badges fell off from age, but I reattached the left side one (which was found in the box).

Here they are on my head. Photos don't do it justice; these things are absolutely massive.

Here's the good stuff: the six passive radiators that give the Sextett it's big sound. You have absolutely no idea how hard it is to resist poking them.

These are actually considerably heavier than they look and feel very rugged and durable compared to AKG's frame. The sliders use spring steel instead of elastic bands, which is very nice in the long run, and the headband is a thick, rubbery silicone instead of a pleather strap.

The sound of these is apparently somewhere between the LP and MP Sextett models in regards to the bass quantity. In my opinion, this means just a teeny bit more than what I'd call "netural". Surprisingly competent sounding even out of a lowly laptop. Glorious mids, surprisingly good treble. Colored, but in a very subtle way and not at all polarizing. A bit lacking in bass extension. Soundstage is small but precise, airy and well separated. Comfort is just as amazing as the K240.

A very nice listen and the closest headphone yet to matching my Z7.

Congrats. I have one too, and your description is spot on. My passive drivers have a orange halo, so they are MP, but they sound very close to the LP I had before.
I was planning on putting some photos here, but yours are way better.

BTW, I have a MB PMB 45 MK II coming in, probably today. It's a dynamic from the eighties when Peerless became MB, and soon ater that MB Quart. Now German Maestro. I don't expect much, but I couldn't resist when I saw them for sale.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #1,196 of 3,125
Jun 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,198 of 3,125
Jun 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #1,199 of 3,125
I found some old Telex 600ohm headphones at Goodwill. They are very power hungry. But no high frequency, very closed in sound. Lots of resonances. I was trying to extract the driver in one of the earpiece last night but the things are glued together so well, it's pointless. You could probably run over them with a car and they would still work.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #1,200 of 3,125
I found some old Telex 600ohm headphones at Goodwill. They are very power hungry. But no high frequency, very closed in sound. Lots of resonances. I was trying to extract the driver in one of the earpiece last night but the things are glued together so well, it's pointless. You could probably run over them with a car and they would still work.
are they really bassy, or just mid-centric?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back