Show us your vintage headphones!
Mar 11, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #1,876 of 3,137
some of my collection...
That's a nice haul right there. Which philips electret is that in front? All of the ones with that "heater shield" design look the same but reportedly sound very different. I have a really old version that isn't just bass-lite, it's almost without bass entirely. Sounds almost normal with VERY heavy equalization

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #1,877 of 3,137
that is n6326.. very nice mid and high bass is kind of insufficient if compared to 240 sextett, even less than pioneer se500...another electret of philips, n6325, sounds much differently with lot of bass...

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #1,879 of 3,137
The N6325 has a transformer built into the cable right? I've always wanted to try transplanting that into another hard to drive can

Worth just studying the circuit and then buying modern parts to redo it.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #1,883 of 3,137

This is the Lafayette F-990 (1973). Manufactured by Fujiki/Elega in Japan. Companies long gone...

I wasn't expecting much from these but I am very impressed. They are solidly built despite not being top of the line back then, and have a nice bass and soundstage even with stock pads. The pad foam seemed deteriorated so I replaced them with HM5 velour pads and the sound is even better. There is a bit of glare in the mid-range but overall I can't complain. They don't really have that boxy, muffled sound that I hear plagues many 70's headphones.

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #1,884 of 3,137
After listening to the F-990 a bit more it's a great find at only $30. The bass is monstrous without sacrificing clarity or detail retrieval. Crazy to say but it has bass that rivals that of my Z1R. A really fun listen with modern and classic rock.

Not that it has huge drivers - I think they are around 72 mm.

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,886 of 3,137
Yes, I believe Elega manufactured a ton of different headphones in the 60's and 70's and companies such as Radio Shack, Marantz, and VanCo sold them under their brand names. Lafayette was like a Radio Shack but they didn't have many retail stores. A lot of sales were through mail order.

I've been getting into vintage headphones because it's fun to research their history and I really like the unique designs. Of course sound quality is hit or miss (more often miss I guess) but it's possible to find a hidden gem once in a while.

The Pioneer models of the 70's look cool, particularly the Monitor 10.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #1,888 of 3,137
There's one on eBay now. Are they pretty clinical or neutral sounding? I have a Sony V-6 and I thought that it was fairly neutral at first but I can't listen to them anymore. It just sounds like the mid-range is hollowed out. I actually liked the Beyerdynamic DT150 much more.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #1,890 of 3,137
My second HP-500, this time fully functional and comes with the original box which is a little molested. 
Condition of the Driver is excellent.

Added 3D Printed assy for Circumaural EarPads. 
Used my second HP-500 as a test dummy.

Using with the Brainwavz Sheepskin and added a YPS (Yank Proof System).

Anyway, if anyone is in the need of HP-500 parts, contact me. 
I have the Cup and Yoke assemblies, also a 100% working Driver. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back