Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Dec 24, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #39,646 of 41,438
Drooling In Baltimore !!!
I have seen pictures of tubes with those "things" on top. Could you please explain what they are and what they do.
Thank You / Rick

No problem! They are anode caps, essentially the high voltage electrode on this type of tube has its connection as a top cap as opposed to a pin on the bottom. Many other tubes have the anode connection as a pin.

Dec 24, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #39,647 of 41,438
8.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #39,648 of 41,438
Happy Holidays everyone. I’m enjoying this holiday season with below setup. The synergy is great and just can’t recommend enough. Not sure how long will I be able to keep this setup as it is not cheap and is slightly out of my budget and comfort zone but as long as I can, will try to enjoy it to the fullest.

IMG_1383.jpeg

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #39,652 of 41,438
This one is old, I know, but how do you deal with the “opposite preamp” problem? I also have this “modern” arrangement issue where I have a few sets of headphones paired to “best match amps”, feed by only 1-2 sources. In the age of headphones and not old hi-fi, I feel this layout is more normal. Headphones and amps are smaller than speakers and speakers amps, and now with digital sources there aren’t like 5-6 sources/inputs. But, there are basically no preamps out there that match this 1-2 in + 5-8 out configuration. Some pro audio ones, yes, but that’s not what I’m talking about.

So, how do you deal with this similar problem, or do you just eat it and swap the cables out of the DAC to the different amps as you listen? I’m designing a custom preamp for this based on a Bent Audio autoformer volume control, but it’s still on the workbench and I’m only dealing with it because I can’t find a good quality, standard solution for it.

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #39,654 of 41,438
How's the updated dac, worth the upgrade?
Indeed! Mystique with the Ben Zwickel installed upgrades is unsurpassed in its naturalness of sound and of perspective. 🥲

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #39,655 of 41,438
ZMF Verite Closed (Ziricote) has been getting much ‘headtime’ lately! Driven by Woo Audio WA3 [O/T/L], via Norne Audio Vykari cable, there is nothing else - sonically speaking - to wish for!
F6885C17-CB7D-48C9-B4CC-6C6FCEFC2D84.jpeg
[Tubes: Cetron 7236, pair Genalex / Gold Lion 6922 (cryo treated)]

Dec 26, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #39,658 of 41,438
Albert, have you bought the 800s? Enjoy them a lot :L3000:
Yes Pablo, directly from Sennheiser.

The HD800s sound fantastic with suitable music, such as acoustic instruments or orchestras, also voices. But they can also sound sober. I'm still discovering.

My Violectric V222 fits perfectly, the stage is slightly narrower, the treble are captured, and a dash of warmth and power is added.

With the McChanson UltimatE the HD800s sounds even better, but you have to find the right tone, I'm currently listening with Footscray 12AT7 and EL39, fits well 🤩

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #39,660 of 41,438
Yes Pablo, directly from Sennheiser.

The HD800s sound fantastic with suitable music, such as acoustic instruments or orchestras, also voices. But they can also sound sober. I'm still discovering.

My Violectric V222 fits perfectly, the stage is slightly narrower, the treble are captured, and a dash of warmth and power is added.

With the McChanson UltimatE the HD800s sounds even better, but you have to find the right tone, I'm currently listening with Footscray 12AT7 and EL39, fits well 🤩
With classical, jazz, vocal and OSTs they are exceptional. They also do wonders with some pop/rock music (but not with all), with melodic or symphonic metal, although I perceive all the details, I can't enjoy most of my collection. I'm waiting for HD 58Xs for those tasks :relieved:

Recently, I listened to "Cuphead OST" with them (classic jazz) and was an incredible experience :L3000: Right now I'm listening to "Forrest Gump OST", a mix of a lot of classics :relaxed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back