Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 4, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #36,721 of 41,317
Cleaner shot of the headphone rig from today, with the Nikon camera and natural light. As usual, I start completely ignoring the digital source option once I get another turntable hooked up in the vicinity. I might have to swap this SOTA with the Clearaudio Innovation Compact from my home-office rig, because that small room throws around a LOT of energy (vibrational and acoustic) from the speakers at higher volumes, and the SOTA will deal better with it. This room has far superior energy management (main rig is on the other side), and of course a headphone doesn't throw out energy anyways :)
DSC_1541.JPG

Mar 5, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #36,722 of 41,317
PC Audio Rig (3-4-23 #2).jpg

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #36,723 of 41,317
271FE61A-1EFB-47ED-B37F-58CCEADEEA0A.jpeg

One Solid full size setup is what you only need.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #36,728 of 41,317
As you can see in the picture below, I have what could be considered 5 different ways to power my small collection of headphones. I've been trying the different configurations available over the past couple of weeks and have come to the decision that I like them all but for different reasons.

The HP out on the Zamp adds a bit of bass boost to everything that's plugged into it with the exception of the Sundaras. It really helps the T90s as far as bass response but makes the D5000s too boomy for my tastes.

The Zamp, through the Can Opener (Zamp/Can), seems to have the widest separation and greatest detail which surprised me given the not-so-great reviews of the Zamp. It's driven by a Vincent SA-31 Preamp which uses a pair of mini-tubes in the circuit. A lot of reviewers consider it just to the warm side of neutral. The Sundaras really shine with this combination. Detailed and punchy - I can't help but wonder what I'd get with a better power amp.

The headphone amp in the UD-501 is adequate and capable of driving all of my headphones to levels higher than I'd ever listen. The assumed weakest in terms of power of the 5, it still sounds way better than plugging into my laptop or phone.

The WA6 is the most different - almost equal to the Zamp/Can in terms of soundstage but less analytical and warmer. I do notice a smoothing to the bass on the Sundaras when played through the WA6.

The HP out on the Rotel RC-1572 MKII is great. I don't hear any colorization, detail is there, soundstage is as good as the Zamp/Can, slightly warmer but not as warm as the WA6. The Rotel has an internal DAC while the other combinations are using the UD-501 as their audio source.

What I found most interesting was, with the exception to the Zamp HP out, how similar each system sounded with each of my headphones. While there were differences, the differences weren't that great. Everything pictured below was acquired over the course of a ten year span with different reasons behind the purchase. The Frankensystem was put together to turn on some equipment that wasn't being used in an attempt to prolong its lifespan.

Disclaimer: Since I have no way of testing the different combinations other than my two ears - the above is entirely subjective.

20230305_145206.jpg

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #36,729 of 41,317
As you can see in the picture below, I have what could be considered 5 different ways to power my small collection of headphones. I've been trying the different configurations available over the past couple of weeks and have come to the decision that I like them all but for different reasons.

The HP out on the Zamp adds a bit of bass boost to everything that's plugged into it with the exception of the Sundaras. It really helps the T90s as far as bass response but makes the D5000s too boomy for my tastes.

The Zamp, through the Can Opener (Zamp/Can), seems to have the widest separation and greatest detail which surprised me given the not-so-great reviews of the Zamp. It's driven by a Vincent SA-31 Preamp which uses a pair of mini-tubes in the circuit. A lot of reviewers consider it just to the warm side of neutral. The Sundaras really shine with this combination. Detailed and punchy - I can't help but wonder what I'd get with a better power amp.

The headphone amp in the UD-501 is adequate and capable of driving all of my headphones to levels higher than I'd ever listen. The assumed weakest in terms of power of the 5, it still sounds way better than plugging into my laptop or phone.

The WA6 is the most different - almost equal to the Zamp/Can in terms of soundstage but less analytical and warmer. I do notice a smoothing to the bass on the Sundaras when played through the WA6.

The HP out on the Rotel RC-1572 MKII is great. I don't hear any colorization, detail is there, soundstage is as good as the Zamp/Can, slightly warmer but not as warm as the WA6. The Rotel has an internal DAC while the other combinations are using the UD-501 as their audio source.

What I found most interesting was, with the exception to the Zamp HP out, how similar each system sounded with each of my headphones. While there were differences, the differences weren't that great. Everything pictured below was acquired over the course of a ten year span with different reasons behind the purchase. The Frankensystem was put together to turn on some equipment that wasn't being used in an attempt to prolong its lifespan.

Disclaimer: Since I have no way of testing the different combinations other than my two ears - the above is entirely subjective.

20230305_145206.jpg
I like everything about this post, especially that these amps all sound different, and can be appreciated for different reasons.

I can relate. I have twice as many amps as headphones and they all sound different. Each one brings out something different from a given headphone...something for planars & something for dynamics (and some that work beautifully on both).

Viva la difference!

Mar 5, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #36,730 of 41,317

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #36,731 of 41,317
I like everything about this post, especially that these amps all sound different, and can be appreciated for different reasons.

I can relate. I have twice as many amps as headphones and they all sound different. Each one brings out something different from a given headphone...something for planars & something for dynamics (and some that work beautifully on both).

Viva la difference!
While I can appreciate this philosophy my personal approach couldn't be more different. One chain with one source, one DAC, one amp. All optimized to work together in good synergy for my preferences and chosen for my headphones.
I can see myself expanding to two amps (one tube one solid state) but that's partially because of my plan to expand to estats.

Hard enough for me to decide which headphones to pick up and my current four are also more than I'm used to owning but Viva la Simplicity I guess?

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #36,732 of 41,317
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #36,734 of 41,317
unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

My dream system is almost ready)

SR UEF switch -> Antipodes K50 server (waiting Zen 3 soon) -> Aqua LinQ HQP streamer -> Aqua Formula xHD v2 dac -> Feliks Envy 300B hp amp + Viva Solista amp -> Abyss 1266 + Hifiman Susvara + Meze Elite Epoque headphones + Sonus Faber Elipsa

also an gigawatt distributor (waiting for Puritan 136) and some SR SRX and Galileo power cables + some hidiamond cables.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back