Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Sep 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #18,706 of 41,346

Well if you're talking about me, it was because I got both the DAC and amp for $1000 including some blue dragon interconnects. I couldn't pass up on a deal like that!

You are the guy that got that $1200 set on eBay, gotta be, he accepted $1K??? Man, I was considering that setup for his asking price the first time around, but didn't have the $$.  Had I known he would have gone that much lower, I may have tried to sell bodily fluids or something, you got a great deal!

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #18,707 of 41,346
  You are the guy that got that $1200 set on eBay, gotta be, he accepted $1K??? Man, I was considering that setup for his asking price the first time around, but didn't have the $$.  Had I known he would have gone that much lower, I may have tried to sell bodily fluids or something, you got a great deal!

Oh yes I know, and I'm soooo glad I did. It's in perfect condition and sounds better than I thought it would!

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #18,708 of 41,346

Well if you're talking about me, it was because I got both the DAC and amp for $1000 including some blue dragon interconnects. I couldn't pass up on a deal like that!

Not just you, and I didn't mean it as an attack! I'm just trying to expand my understanding here and you're not the first I've seen with some DAMN nice source/DAC/amp hardware with headphones that can be acquired fairly cheaply. Wondering if I've been doing something wildly wrong here, haha. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #18,709 of 41,346
  I might be weird here, but I've noticed a LOT of people taking way expensive amp/DAC combos and then pairing them up with rather middling headphones. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Sometimes (often) our decisions to buy gear are based on how good of a deal we can get, not what's appropriate for the rest of our toys.

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #18,710 of 41,346

Sometimes (often) our decisions to buy gear are based on how good of a deal we can get, not what's appropriate for the rest of our toys.

This.

I thought "why not?" I'll take any deal on something I want if it's over 50% off normal price. This one especially because I knew I would be upgrading to better headphones relatively soon.

Not just you, and I didn't mean it as an attack! I'm just trying to expand my understanding here and you're not the first I've seen with some DAMN nice source/DAC/amp hardware with headphones that can be acquired fairly cheaply. Wondering if I've been doing something wildly wrong here, haha. 

I didn't take it as an attack 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #18,711 of 41,346

Hm, I can see that. I don't feel like my income is quite fluid enough that I can amass hardware just on good deals and then get the setup around it later. Maybe someday though!

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #18,712 of 41,346
I don't think having "insufficient fluid income" has ever stopped people before... you do know what our motto is right?
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #18,713 of 41,346
  I don't think having "insufficient fluid income" has ever stopped people before... you do know what our motto is right?
biggrin.gif

Ahahaha you got a point!!

I'm in a pickle right now because I'm sitting here at my new desk setup, listening to these Bose speakers, enjoying them, unable to shake the feeling of "well... I could return these... start building a proper desk headphone rig..."

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #18,714 of 41,346

For me, it feels like a real commitment to try a new headphone (both cost, time for my ears/brain to adjust, messing with EQ), so I've been slow to adopt new cans.  Electronics, on the other hand (and for me personally) are just more fun to experiment with (e.g. the whole HDMI de-embed rathole I went down).

As a result, I've gone crazy on incremental side-grades, without adding to my collection of phones.

Sep 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #18,715 of 41,346
My current Work-Fi setup (just got the E11K and the Forza bling):

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #18,720 of 41,346
I might be weird here, but I've noticed a LOT of people taking way expensive amp/DAC combos and then pairing them up with rather middling headphones. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Part of it is also because, up until a few years ago, headphones like those were the best, and it's not like they've gotten any worse with age. Many of the now "mid-fi" classics still scale up very nicely with better equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back