Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #12,812 of 41,315
I think the biggest upgrade to my desktop set up in a while has been deciding to use foobar2k with wasapi to play .flac. I feel like that alone takes my set up to the next level. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #12,813 of 41,315
Quote:
I think the biggest upgrade to my desktop set up in a while has been deciding to use foobar2k with wasapi to play .flac. I feel like that alone takes my set up to the next level. 

I agree. I was very surprised at the improvement in sound quality going from the default Windows sound mixer to ASIO. That isn't to say that its a huge difference but I basically expected no noticeable difference and that wasn't the case.

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #12,814 of 41,315
Quote:
The CMOY box is epic 
beerchug.gif

What's the anime character painted on the box btw? Reminds me of Hayate in his cat outfit

Well, it's Chen from Touhou (東方 )

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #12,816 of 41,315
Quote:

I agree. I was very surprised at the improvement in sound quality going from the default Windows sound mixer to ASIO. That isn't to say that its a huge difference but I basically expected no noticeable difference and that wasn't the case.

For me it changed the dynamics of my Beyers pretty dramatically. The better decoder plus the bit perfect signal resulted in a much cleaner sound and more 3d imaging with much better separation. The sound signature is the same, but everything else blossomed.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #12,817 of 41,315

So, instead of buying any Ikea stands or whatever, I moved the table on top of the cabinet (it has sound deadners on the feet and around it. I took the door off of it. It's quite a nice cabinet, it's a $700 Salamander, just a bit worse for wear (it's old). I can jump up and down and the sound doesn't change at all. And I moved my Panamax in there to save the Marantz, and used the remaining shelves for CDs/vinyls. I stashed my uDAC above my Marantz and you can kind of see I put my headphones on top beside my record player. I still have some stuff coming, so we'll see how it goes, but I think this is a better setup than previous.

Apr 11, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #12,819 of 41,315
Quote:
Just posting my bed-rig here, because it's quite uncommon.
(heavily modded old school K140, CMOY, and a modded PS1 as a source)

I freaking love this setup. Must sound amazing. I use a PSX in my system too and it is beautiful source. The CMoy looks killer, I love the Touhou touch-up on it.
Quote:
So, instead of buying any Ikea stands or whatever, I moved the table on top of the cabinet (it has sound deadners on the feet and around it. I took the door off of it. It's quite a nice cabinet, it's a $700 Salamander, just a bit worse for wear (it's old). I can jump up and down and the sound doesn't change at all. And I moved my Panamax in there to save the Marantz, and used the remaining shelves for CDs/vinyls. I stashed my uDAC above my Marantz and you can kind of see I put my headphones on top beside my record player. I still have some stuff coming, so we'll see how it goes, but I think this is a better setup than previous.

Looking good!! I like this a lot. I would only recommend a smaller desk or moving it away from the Salamander shelf so you can put those speakers on some stands. The benefit of that is you'd be able to align them with your ears directly.

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #12,821 of 41,315
Hey gals and guys,

I've been reading this nice "little" forum for a month or two and finally decided to register. Since, for a week I was browsing this amazing thread and admiring some great set, I figured out this is the best place to say hi and introduce myself.

Now, I just started in the general hi-fi world and I've been guided by my uncle in my most decisions. First I was thinking of spending the big buck for a really nice system, but then again this way you take the fun out of growing you hearing capabilities. So, I decided to go with a small budget, get entry level stuff and upgrade piece by piece. This way I know what my system sounds and I can appreciate and evaluate a better sound. So, everything below is budget oriented. Even the headphones are, but I am planning to change that, so the second post will be about that in the respective thread.

Here is the setup currently:

DSCN4167.JPG

DSCN4163.JPG

These are the details:

Headphones: Sennheiser HD202
DAC with Headphone Amp: DYI USB DAC (PCM2704 with Nichicon Capacitors KA)
Amp: Philips FA 890
Speakers: Cabasse Goelette
Speaker Cables: Furutech
RCA Cables: Audio Quest
Stands: Dynaudio

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #12,822 of 41,315
Hey gals and guys,

I've been reading this nice "little" forum for a month or two and finally decided to register. Since, for a week I was browsing this amazing thread and admiring some great set, I figured out this is the best place to say hi and introduce myself.

Now, I just started in the general hi-fi world and I've been guided by my uncle in my most decisions. First I was thinking of spending the big buck for a really nice system, but then again this way you take the fun out of growing you hearing capabilities. So, I decided to go with a small budget, get entry level stuff and upgrade piece by piece. This way I know what my system sounds and I can appreciate and evaluate a better sound. So, everything below is budget oriented. Even the headphones are, but I am planning to change that, so the second post will be about that in the respective thread.

Here is the setup currently:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aT21I-tjXao/UWaAoovSuAI/AAAAAAAADtQ/mtZ0TUYD7h8/s512/DSCN4167.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JM7Ugm0fU3A/UWaAqar7xqI/AAAAAAAADtY/3qPLqUTNS38/s512/DSCN4163.JPG

As far as I read I am not able to upload images just yet, and IMG does not work.

These are the details:

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #12,823 of 41,315

As far as I read I am not able to upload images just yet, and IMG does not work.

These are the details:

Welcome to headfi and sorry for your wallet!

Heres your pics

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #12,824 of 41,315
Hey! Those 202's were my first cans! That's funny. I tought my first can always was the hd518 but now I remember them. As far as I can remember I always enjoyed them but they died after I tried to walk away from my pc the n'th time while they were plugged in.

A good solid step up would be the hd518 or the hd558. :)

Oh btw here are some additions to my setup.
A headphone stand:

Some of the best headphones I have ever heard:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back