Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 2, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #4,576 of 41,411
what metal do you listen to?

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #4,578 of 41,411

Quote:
I plan on a DAC upgrade down the line, but that will be incorporated into both set ups. I'm done with buying expensive stuff, but I'd like to own a few more pairs of cans. Maybe a Thunderpants.

EDIT: My speaker set up is starting strong though. My MMGs are on their way.

Hello morbid I am presuming that your talking about Magnepan MMGs right?, if you are getting some can you tell me how they are i have been looking at them for some time and would love to know how they stack up against your headphones.

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #4,579 of 41,411
what metal do you listen to?

All the good stuff: Black, Doom, Thrash, Grindcore, some Death. My last.fm is in my sig. I've been doing a lot of listening on youtube and vinyl lately so my last isn't really up to date, but should give you a good idea. We're already friends on last.fm funny enough. :cool:

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #4,580 of 41,411
I'm really looking forward to getting them. They're probably another 2 weeks out because their factory is a bit backed up right now, but I'll report in as soon as I get them.

I was looking for quite awhile before I decided on a pair of Maggies. I hope I like them. They're gorgeous speakers and have a reputation to match. If I like them I'll probably fill out the rest of the spectrum with an REL sub.
Quote:
Hello morbid I am presuming that your talking about Magnepan MMGs right?, if you are getting some can you tell me how they are i have been looking at them for some time and would love to know how they stack up against your headphones.

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #4,581 of 41,411
I don't know, I ran it from my DAC right off my PC with lossless files from HDTracks. I played a bunch of other files on it as well with the same results.

I wasn't saying it sounded bad, but I just didn't like the signature over my other amps. It's a good amp for sure, but IMO not worth the price. I just much prefer my V200 and Auditor to it. Nothing wrong with that though.

If the price was $1,500 cheaper I would get it right away. I just feel that for the price that it does nothing that is extraordinary. 

Like I said I am not bashing the amp at all, I do like it, but find it overpriced for what it's capable of.

Quote:
must have been the source. 
deadhorse.gif

no kidding, i have the V200 and Liquid Fire sitting a few feet from each other.
each morning the V200 awakens, and bows to the Liquid Fire. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #4,582 of 41,411

Got a new rack to put all my stuff in. Much more space efficient!

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #4,586 of 41,411
Just ordered me a pair of vintage Stax: SR-5NB and a SRD-6 transformer box. I'll be running it off of my dad's Pioneer SX-6 and my cheap $40 Sherwood S-7210A receiver until I can sell my Burson and pick up a beefy vintage integrated amp. From what I've read these should be real kickass metal phones.

If your SX-6 is anything like my SX-9 regarding protection circuits it won't work.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #4,587 of 41,411
If your SX-6 is anything like my SX-9 regarding protection circuits it won't work.

To be honest, I probably won't get to use the SX-6, but by 'won't work' do you mean it won't play or it'll blow a fuse if I try? Is this kind of protection circuit in a lot of receivers? Sounds like something I should look out for when I upgrade from the dying Sherwood.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #4,588 of 41,411
An energizer is a highly inductive load and some receivers don't like that and won't play. My Harman Kardon cheapy receiver worked ok, but occasionally it would shut off while listening. Got my SRM-323S today and it's performance is significantly better, but I'm also using very demanding stats.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #4,589 of 41,411
An energizer is a highly inductive load and some receivers don't like that and won't play. My Harman Kardon cheapy receiver worked ok, but occasionally it would shut off while listening. Got my SRM-323S today and it's performance is significantly better, but I'm also using very demanding stats.

huh, so it won't actually damage anything, it will just trigger the protection circuits right? I'm guessing most of the integrated amps/receivers from early to mid 70s probably wouldn't have this 'feature'? I know the SX-6 is from 1981 but it's a bit ahead of it's time feature wise, doesn't even have a knob for volume.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #4,590 of 41,411
Mine is from the same line, the SX-9 was top of the line. There were models from 4 to 9, 9 being a Japan only model. Yes, the electronic volume control people said was bad back then, now it's in use in almost every hifi piece made.

It won't damage anything, but it can cause the amp to shut off or simply not cooperate. If you try to push the amp volume to max to try to get sound and forget to turn it down you might cause some problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back