Show us your dog!
Feb 13, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #46 of 1,127
OE Sheepdog! My favorite dog. Also my first dog. I was in 1st grade when my father brought her home. My family has had at least one dog ever since.

She was one of my best friends! I loved that dog very much. How can you not love a mug like that?

I remember being able to play hide-and-go-seek with her. Because she was a herding dog and I was (in her eyes) just a sheep in her flock, she would search for me anytime I hid from her and yelled or made noise. But she also didn't really let me run or ride my bike around her. She ruined many of my pant cuffs...

Have fun with that old boy! If you have children I'm sure he is a great companion for them. I have such fond memories of growing up with dogs.

This thread is really making me want a dog of my own.

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #47 of 1,127
tjkurita,

Thank you for sharing your OES stories. Bogie is our first dog and he's a sweet dog to have around. Initially, he had severe "separation anxiety" but he has overcome some of that now....he can be alone in the garage for up to 4 hours. My mom is not the one who has "separation anxiety" for worrying about Bogie whenever we go out
biggrin.gif

BTW, Bogie like to sleep on his back....with all 4 legs in the air.

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #50 of 1,127
Those are very nice photos, AdamP88!

This is my parent's current pooch, Duke. He's a Siberian Husky. He clearly thinks very highly of himself. I am more his butler than his master. But he is a lot more like a cat than a dog. To him I am just a dude who swings through town a few times a year and takes him for long walks.

2263723813_d9c57136fd.jpg

2263723811_31eabf830e.jpg

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #53 of 1,127
Swedish Vallhund. His names Senna and he's 11 months now.

Pics:

1 month (on left) -

309014545.jpg

2 months - bring home - (My dad in pic)

308574754.jpg

3 months, he's on the right...

12509122159.jpg

4 months, ears pointy now:

12509122232.jpg

10 months -

307434233.jpg

Some info from the net:

It is believed that the Swedish Vallhund (SV) goes back to the age of Vikings, more than 1000 years ago. Back then they were known as the "Viking dog". The SV was bred to herd cattle, catch vermin (such as rats), and guard the house. It is often referred to as "the little cattle dog of the Vikings".

The Welsh Corgi is believed to be descended from the SV. However, by 1942, the SV itself was almost extinct, until Mr. Björn von Rosen and Mr. Karl-Gustaf Zettersten (both from Sweden) began looking for dogs to keep the breed alive. As a result of their work, in 1948 the Swedish Kennel Club recognized the breed and the SV was given the name "Vallhund", which meant "herding dog". The breed is still quite rare.

The SV is a powerful, fearless, watchful, energetic, alert, intelligent, friendly, and healthy small dog who has a tendency to bark. It is suitable for many kinds of activities, including herding and dog agility.

Their Swedish name is västgötaspets.

10 reasons why you should not get a västgötaspets - göötti

10. Weather resistant hair

The outer layer of hair really bears up under any kind of rough weather. You can´t get the dog wet, no matter how hard you try. Even when you try to wash the dog, that outside hair will not let the water through. However, when the soft, fluffy underhair begins to loosen, the shedding seems endless. That wonderful hair that resists the weather comes with a price...

9. Keep eye on your food

These are the göötti rules: If it is edible, it is ours. If you turn your back on it, it is your gööttis. It might seem that there is a ghost in your house
because in a thousandth of second a quite a large sandwich, yogurt, cup of tea and an apple just vanish without that cup or your göötti having changed position. On the other hand - you can be sure your göötti is not choosy. Everything goes. Always.

8. Strangers are barked at

And so are those a little less strange; and so are well-known people. If it moves there is a reason to bark at it. If it doesn't move, it might move, and so it must be barked at too. When a göötti gets bored it informs everybody about this by barking, Very often this gets the owner's attention--maybe only for a moment. Any attention is wonderful, so the dog must bark more--and louder-- and longer.

7. Loneliness

there just is no such thing for a göötti owner
Nowhere, I mean nowhere can you go alone. You short-legged shadow is following you in the dark hours of the night, in the bright light of the day, in rain, in sunshine, outdoors, indoors. If you don´t take the dog to the toilet or bathroom, it will loyally wait for you behind the door. It will be worried. You just might escape through the window, you know!

6. Always at the ready!

Ready for what?--to do whatever, whenever -- a göötti is always ready--really--ALWAYS. And because the dog follows you all the time, it knows about your plans even before you know them yourself. And it's ready for whatever you want to do.
Initiative and creativity -- you have to have them: If you don´t give your göötti anything to do, it will create its own jobs and fun. These may not necessarily be quite what you would have wanted! So, little by little, without noticing that anything is happening, you find yourself running by agility fences, working through obedience fields, and hiding meatballs in the woods...

5. Pawprints on thighs

A göötti is a short-legged dog, and a human is tall. That´s why your göötti has to jump up on you. If you take notice of the jumping dog, even once, it knows that by jumping on you it will get your attention, sooner or later. Positive or negative attention is all the same, The important thing is that "shortlegs" is noticed.

4. Everybody's friend

The göötti is everybody's friend, unless there is food involved; then your göötti is only its own friend. Gööttiboys do not necessarily like other
gööttiboys, because gööttiboys very much like gööttigirls, or whatever other doggerels might be handy. Gööttiboys are not so good at distinguishing their own breed.
Other dogs may have difficulties understanding the loud growly, barky, sneezy noises that occur during gööttiplay, but otherwise a göötti has a very clear language. for other dogs, and people. The göötti is also a friend of its owner's friends. Pawprints on the owner's friend's thighs makes for a nice common bond on walks together. People met along the walk will also receive the thigh mark badge of this common bond!

3. Say clearly what you want

Right from the first time you speak to your dog or try to train your göötti, you must make clear what you do not want and what you want instead. If there is food involved, your göötti is very willing to do what you want. However, begging is forbidden -- but is it really forbidden, and is it always forbidden? You mean absolutely always? Always...so short a moment in a göötti's life.

2. First there is one

A göötti has a tendency to double, perhaps triple. First you have one and then you notice you are beginning to think about another. Somehow, some distant relative of your göötti is calling you. And you suddenly discover you are a happy owner of two gööttis. How did that happen? Your göötti was missing company of it´s own kind. Oh yes, that's the good reason why you got another. It wasn't just that you fell in love with that sweet, soft, snugly puppy... What? Is that ANOTHER göötti calling my name?

1. Clever

Clever is the word that comes to mind when you have been around with gööttis a little while. There are so many stories about their inventiveness--not a dull moment with these dogs. To train a göötti is very easy, and at the same time very difficult. And even if you do not
train your göötti that will not stop your göötti from learning. A göötti learns fast, so beware of what you train, and how. And be especially careful of what you do not mean to train...

Most of which is true, but mine is extremely well trained, doesn't jump up and doesn't bark without good reason.

I'm just waiting for the breeder to have another litter so I can get another one.

Man look at the length of this post! Sorry about that...

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #56 of 1,127
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jeep with Bear ...
HPIM0768.jpg

Wow, he looks just like my dog, coincidentally, a Chow-Shepherd Mix named...Bear! Dang, I wish I was home so I could snag and post a pic.

Feb 15, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #57 of 1,127
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want one.

Thanks, he's the perfect dog for me. He would easily take over with a less strong owner though. He's fearless, playful, independent and very, very intelligent. By 8 months old he was pulling chairs out with his teeth and using them to jump up on the table. He's learned trick I can think of quickly. Never a dull moment with him around, awesome dog.

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #58 of 1,127
2266392438_cd9cf9bb7a_o.jpg

2266392372_edaba2b123_o.jpg

I took these pics of my (now) 4 year old Greyhound about 2 years ago. I was cleaning out some old vinyl and he wanted a piece of the action. The second pic is not altered in any way. As soon as he grabbed the vinyl I hoped to get a picture that I could photoshop to make it look like he was "scratching," but amazingly enough, I didn't need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back