Should they cancel the luge event at the Olympics?
Feb 13, 2010 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
After the death of the Georgian athlete, news has come out of two other fairly serious accidents on the luge run (one athlete knocked out, another requiring rescue). Do you think they should cancel the event. Officials so far call it the fault of the athlete, although they are raising the wall on the fatal turn and resurfacing the ice in that area.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 47
Based on the reports, I think there is a problem with the course. Based on the accidents, it would seem that anyone that makes it to the bottom without crashing will win the event.

The death was truly tragic.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 47
I really can't believe their nerve in calling it the athlete's fault. OK, he didn't run it perfectly. You shouldn't die playing sports or games because you're not perfect. There are such things as freak accidents, but this was not one of them - this was a typical luge accident (lost control of the sled at high speed) and the course is so poorly designed that you can very easily die if you have such a typical accident.

I hope the luge athletes refuse to run it even if they don't officially shut it down.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really can't believe their nerve in calling it the athlete's fault. OK, he didn't run it perfectly. You shouldn't die playing sports or games because you're not perfect.

Spot on! Especially on the last corner
frown.gif

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 47
I don't think canceling the event would be remotely fair to the other competitors who spent the last four years training for the 2010 Olympics. Some modification to that track is clearly necessary, however.

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think canceling the event would be remotely fair to the other competitors who spent the last four years training for the 2010 Olympics. Some modification to that track is clearly necessary, however.

This is my opinion too. The other individuals all participating in Luge and Skeleton have worked hard for the last 4 years training and it would be a disappointment for them to have to give up a chance they have earned. Certainly, though, there should be a delay in the event to try to modify the track and make it safer if possible.

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #8 of 47
If they cancel the luge, they might as well cancel bobsledding as well as it is run on the same track.

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 47
I do not think they should cancel the event.
Numerous other athletes have spent years preparing for this event (4 years since last Olympic Games), and it would be really unfair to them. The news already report that the organizers currently modifying the track, hopefully eliminating this from happening again.

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they cancel the luge, they might as well cancel bobsledding as well as it is run on the same track.

Might as well.

I don't see any valid reason why any of these events (luge, bobsledding and skeleton) are in the Olympics anyways.

Might as well add ski jumping, moguls, curling and the biathlon to the list of sports to delete while they are at it too.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might as well.

I don't see any valid reason why any of these events (luge, bobsledding and skeleton) are in the Olympics anyways.

Might as well add ski jumping, moguls, curling and the biathlon to the list of sports to delete while they are at it too.

Why would they do that? Just because they are not as popular. The reason I like the Olympic games is because for 2 weeks every two years we get to see sports that aren't appreciated as much as they are in different countries. I may not like every sport but its still interesting to see athletes for other countries compete against each other. Hopefully Shaun white loses this year.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobeclix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would they do that? Just because they are not as popular. The reason I like the Olympic games is because for 2 weeks every two years we get to see sports that aren't appreciated as much as they are in different countries. I may not like every sport but its still interesting to see athletes for other countries compete against each other. Hopefully Shaun white loses this year.

Where do you draw the line between what is a sport and what isn't? Should we include dog-sled races, frisbee throwing and ice bocce, too?

The Olympics are ridiculously out of control in terms of the size of the games and the cost to host them.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fire the architects/designers of that luge track, sue the Canadian Olympic Committee.

Typical American response, SUE! even if you don't know who is responsible.

Also it is an international team that designed the track.

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where do you draw the line between what is a sport and what isn't? Should we include dog-sled races, frisbee throwing and ice bocce, too?

The Olympics are ridiculously out of control in terms of the size of the games and the cost to host them.

Dogsled racing to quote one of your examples doesn't require much overall input from the driver other than commands to the dogs to steer.

Bobsled, luge, skeleton, etc on the other hand, require exertion and speed timed perfectly to get a good start followed by people involved using their own bodies to change the center of gravity of the vehicle to control its speed and direction. There is significant amount of physical activity to warrant keeping them as Olympic Sports

Feb 13, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 47
The track is much faster than what most lugers have raced before, and it's tough to stay in control. They are now starting from the Women's start line, so speeds will be about 8-10 mph slower (at typical speeds for the men), and more safety walls have been constructed.

Frozenice, why are you being so closed-minded as to what sports can be in the Olympics? All of the events require years of intensive training and skill to perform well in the Games. I'd like to see you curl well, or ski jump with the world's finest. The line dividing what is and isn't a sport is drawn where the IOC has decided, that's why it exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back