Should I turn off my Schiit Vali when I am not using it?
Jan 16, 2014 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Airwolf

Head-Fier
Wasting electricity aside, is it bad to leave the Schiit Vali turned on all the time?  Will this makes the tubes wear out significantly faster or do they only wear out when they are actually outputting music to the headphones?  It is hooked up to my computer and for purposes of convenience, I would prefer to just leave it on all the time if it isn't going to wear it out prematurely.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 11
Tubes if left running are still running and putting hours on them, plus generating heat. Thing is, if a tube's life is around 10,000hours for example, then theoretically you've got a year to keep that running. I'd worry more about the heat since it'll stress not just the tube, but also everything else inside the chassis. Living in a cold climate won't help much if your house conforms to building codes (meaning it's insulated enough inside so the climate outside doesn't matter that much).

In any case, what's convenient about leaving an amp running 24/7/365.25? I know how McDonald's, WalMart, and Detroit have conspired to make people move a lot less, but where exactly are you putting that thing to make that switch hard to reach? On my end though I not only switch off the amp, but I use a power strip with a switch on each outlet. I use my toe to flick the switch on my automatic voltage regulator, then my toe again for the appropriate button on my power strip, then finally my right index for the amp switch. Probably five seconds from the AVR to the amp, then I take a shower before listening (solid state but I still have this habit from when I warm up the tubes).

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the reply.  I will leave it turned off when I am not using it.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 11
BTW, as an extra precaution, the reason why I use the AVR and the power strip is so I can unplug the AVR when I'm not using it, then the power strips regulate which ones (laptop on my work desk, gaming desktop on the other side, headphone amp, active speakers, chargers, etc)  will get power to them. When plugged but the AVR and power strips aren't active, then there won't be any voltage regulation nor surge protection (save for the fuse, but that's it). At least when unplugged, it isn't connected to the outlet at all. I don't trust the power grid here and we get storms with both lightning and wind, so I always think, "better safe than sorry."

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm paranoid about tube hours, so I always turn my Lyr off if I'm not listening to it. But that's for overpriced NOS ones. To quote Schiit: "Dude, it's a $119 tube amp". My guess is you'll probably move on to something else before the tubes expire. Even then, Schiit says they replace them for $20.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Due to my extreme laziness, I am somewhat tempted to try the Magni or JDS O2 so I don't have to worry about tube life as much...

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #7 of 11
  Due to my extreme laziness, I am somewhat tempted to try the Magni or JDS O2 so I don't have to worry about tube life as much...

What does your desk/shelf look like anyway? I know modern life is conducive to being sedantary, but I can't imagine why flicking that switch seems so difficult - it's just like pushing a remote control button, and hand motions on smart HDTVs take more calories. Heck you burned more calories and time typing that sentence
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #8 of 11

What does your desk/shelf look like anyway? I know modern life is conducive to being sedantary, but I can't imagine why flicking that switch seems so difficult - it's just like pushing a remote control button, and hand motions on smart HDTVs take more calories. Heck you burned more calories and time typing that sentence
biggrin.gif

Oh the amp is within 6 inches of my computer mouse, but I just can't be bothered to flip a switch when I want to use my headphones.  I am on and off my computer all day and it is an annoyance to have to turn it on and off.  Putting my wireless mouse on the charging base is enough of a pain as it is...

Yes, I am THAT lazy!

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 11

Oh the amp is within 6 inches of my computer mouse, but I just can't be bothered to flip a switch when I want to use my headphones.  I am on and off my computer all day and it is an annoyance to have to turn it on and off.  Putting my wireless mouse on the charging base is enough of a pain as it is...

Yes, I am THAT lazy!

I am reading this and I had a great idea for a new product. Headphones...that you never have to reach for, pick up and put on your head! We can call them...speakers.
biggrin.gif

But in all seriously, that sounds like me. Tubes amps though, require time to warm up, so sometimes I'll just skip a whole listening session because I don't like waiting for the tubes to warm up. lol

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #10 of 11
I just bought a JDS Labs Objective2.  I guess we will see if it sounds as good or better and go from there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back