Should I re-cable my HiFi 780s?
Sep 12, 2020 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gmounce611

New Head-Fier
Hey, all!

About ten years ago I sent off my HiFi 780s to have the cable shortened. I was in college at the time, and I was sick of stuffing the ~7,000 ft factory cable in my jeans every time I wanted to take my headphones for a walk around campus. I got the cable lopped off to a more manageable 3 ft (1 meter). (This was so long ago that I don't remember where I sent the headphones off to have this done.) When the headphones came back, the sound signature had changed completely. The bass was gone, the highs and ultra-highs were ear-splitting, and the mids were so far forward it felt like vocalists had taken up residence in my ear canal. I should have reached out to the person who re-cabled them and complained, but I was young and intimidated by the inscrutable world of hi-fi audio. I wondered if maybe the problem was all in my head.

Anyhow, I got out of audio gear for about a decade--not necessarily because of the sad state of my 780s, but that was definitely a contributing factor--and just got back into it about a year ago. I've got a few pairs of headphones now, but it wasn't until I got the Schiit Modi/Loki/Magni stack that I dusted off the 780s to try them out again. With the Loki, I can EQ the 780s to sound great--the sound stage and separation are as good as ever--but I've really gotta crank the low end and shave off the high end (like completely) to get them sounding good.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to re-cable them. Like I said, I can get them to sound good with EQing, but I'd like to hear them like they used to be before I had the cable shortened. What are the options with HiFi 780 recabling? Balanced cables or just single-ended? Detachable or do they have to be attached? I should mention that I'm not super handy, so I'd probably have to send these somewhere for re-cabling unless it's a simple matter of soldering (which I sorta doubt it will be).

Thanks for any help!

Sep 14, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 2
If a connector wont fit you could put a female jack on the wire itself. This would allow you to switch between cables, the mode above should have changed the sound that much unless it's wired incorrectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back