Should I order the ES2 or UE-10 Pro's?
Sep 8, 2006 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
I just came home after getting my silicon ear molds done.
But I have serious problems deciding which custom IEM I should order.

So far I have nailed it down to the following alternatives:
* Westone ES2
* Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro

Some points:
1. It will be a part of my portable rig (iPod nano/video, Silk Dock, The Hornet).
2. The Hornet and ES2 seems to be an excellent match: Romanee : "M" Hornet is "The One" for Westone ES2!
3. The UE-10 seems to be very much appreciated among a lot of the Head-Fi members. But I am afraid it is to neutral (like a monitor), just like what I read about the Westone ES3.
4. I already own and enjoy the Westone UM2. So if the ES2 have a comparable sound signature, I know what it sounds like.
5. They both seem to have excellent customer service.

Anybody with a comparable setup that care to share some light on this? Perhaps you even own both of them?
Money no option, so keep that out of the discussion.

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 14
I own both the ES2 and UE10s. I believe there are a few other members out there that own both as well. A lot of what to base your decision on comes down to the music you listen to. If its mainly focused on things like rock and roll, etc. then the ES2 is the way to go. If you listen to more music aside from rock, then the UE10s might be better suited for you. Perhaps understanding a bit about what you like in the UM2 sound would help in providing guidance as well.

I truly enjoy and appreciate each one, just for different reasons. The UE10s are clean, clear and tight. They can provide an unbelievable amount of detail and resolution in their sound. They can have a tendency to sound a bit analytical and dry at times so keep that in mind in terms of cables, etc. to round out the sound. As far as true ‘high end sounding’ IEMs go, I don’t think the UE10s can be touched.

I agree with Wakeride74’s recent thread on the ES2s being the ‘underappreciated IEM’. The ES2s have a killer upfront midrange, very nice tuneful bass, and just the right amount of warmth to be enjoyable regardless of how well (or poorly) the music was recorded. Whereas the UE10s can be overly revealing and harsh at times with poorly recorded music, the ES2s seem to handle things a bit better.

I personally think synergy with IEMs is an important and often overlooked consideration. Personally, I never liked the UE10s with the non-M Hornet (never heard the M Hornet). I just couldn’t ever get the UE10s to sing with that amp. Things sounded a bit too revealing, harsh and sibiliant. The Hornet and ES2s on the other hand is a killer combo without a doubt. I much prefer the UE10 with the PRII w/blackgates. I think either of those combos will get you about the best you can hope for in a portable or semi portable package.

If you’re looking for a portable sound similar to that of the UM2s, it seems logical that you might like the ES2s. Right now listening to iMod > ALO Cotton Mini to Cardas rhodium RCA > PRII (blackgates) >UE10pro and the sound is just out of this world. Of course this morning I listened to iMod > Zynsonix EYS mini > Hornet > ES2 and couldn’t have been happier. Either one is a great choice.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 14
digihead, thanks a lot for the feedback!
I understand that they are both great choices, and I probably wont miss out of much with any of them. But that is also what makes it so hard to choose between them.

I listen to a lot of different music. Anything from Ambient and chillout ("The Extreme", "Cell", "Biosphere", "Xerxes", ..), to Rock ("Toto", "Simple Minds", "Pink Floyd", ...).

I prefer lots of details, clear highs, tight bass, warm sound and a wide sound stage. Which the UM2 already provide me.
Considering that I already enjoy the UM2 (Westone) sound, and that the ES2 use the same drivers, I tend to lean to the ES2. Then I can always "upgrade" to the UE-10 pro's at a later stage.

Westone, here I come...!
lambda.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 14
digihead was a great help to me in making my decision. I've not heard the UE10's but I'm sure they are excellent based on what I've read. I also came from the UM2 and after being a bit disappointed with the E500's and their "polite" presentation I pulled the trigger on the ES2 (impressions here). I am very happy with them using iPod>ALO Cotton Dock>Hornet. The PS-1 is my headphone of choice and as far as universal IEM's I preferred the UM2's signature above the others I've tried, mostly for the forwards vocal presentation, warm mid range, and tight/punchy bass. The UM2's are very fun and engaging, the ES2 totally improves on all the UM2 qualities and brings some of its own to the table. I listen to everything but rap and hip-hop and am very happy with the sound of the ES2. If you like the sound of the UM2 you will love the ES2.

Pete7 just got his ES2's and was also a UM2/UM56 and E500 owner and he is a very happy camper!

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks wakeride74.
Seeing that you make the same switch and are very happy nails the case for me.

It will certainly be the Westone ES2 this time!

Edit:
[size=large]Westone ES2 ordered![/size]

Sep 8, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 14
I think you can't go wrong with your decision, the more since you have the Hornet. I would however consider the UE-10s more versatile, when it comes to be paired with other amps. I have yet to hear the M, but so far I was very happy with the sound of the Hornet w/Pana.cap. I admit the combo sounds best with unplugged music, and strings are really really sweet and silky with this - best I've heard so far from conserved music. I am not disappointed how it performs with classic rock either (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Zappa and the likes).
But nothing can beat perfect synergy, and ES2/Hornet seems to be one of these close encounters.

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 14
Congrats! I'm sure you will love them. Customs are just amazing. Be sure to post some impressions after you get them!

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks guys.
My Hornet have the Panasonic cap, but it is not the "M" version. Anyway, I am sure it will drive my ES2 very well!
smily_headphones1.gif

wakeride74. I sure will post some impressions.But it will be a lot shorter than yours.
wink.gif

Simply because English is not my native language, so it is harder for me to put words on the impressions and feelings I have.

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 14
Make sure that you have very good impressions.
After some days with my UE 10 pro I have noticed that my right plug is not perfect.
My guess is that I will have to get new impressions and I that I will have to wait three more weeks before I'll get them back
rolleyes.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #11 of 14
I got my impression made earlier today.
Open mouth impressions (around 80% open I guess), and after 5 minutes the audiologist took them out and looked at them. She said they where "good".

I have no experience with this at all, so I explicitly told her what I want the impressions for. They had a Westone banner on their front door, so I hope they know how to make good molds.
Link: http://www.gnresound.com/GNResound/US/EN

Fingers crossed that they turn out ok on first attempt!

Sep 11, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 14
Some updated news!

I placed my ES2 order at EarphoneSolutions this friday, and got a reply today.
Variphone, which is Westone's Euro supplier, have exclusive rights on the European market. So EarphoneSolutions can't process my order.

The bad news is that Variphone have outrageous prices:
* EarphoneSolutions charge $650 for the ES2.
* Variphone charge €735 (which equals $933) for the same ES2.
blink.gif

Which mean that the UE-10 ($900) is less expensive than the ES2 on the European market.

Ultimate Ears, here I come!
lambda.gif

[size=xx-small]If you sell to Europe that is...[/size]

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
Ultimate Ears, here I come!
lambda.gif

[size=xx-small]If you sell to Europe that is...[/size]

I hate to say that, but I payed €1100 fo my UE-10s.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back