Should I get a DAP?
Jan 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tehsprayer

500+ Head-Fier
Right now I have the Samsung S3 I747M running with my Westone 3 and hearing a bit of noise floor, the Fiio E6 helps it a little but it's a hassle to hook it up all the time. I am looking for something cheap that eliminates the noise floor hissing and excellent sound quality. I don't want to spend much I was thinking getting the Sansa Clip+ 4gb (+64gb I already have) or should I wait for something like the Fiio X1. I might get the Nexus 5 in the future, would that be better audio quality than the S3?

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Chances are it's an impedance issue if the amp helps a bit, but obviously if it's still there then there's another source. What player app are you using? Neutron Media Player hisses on every IEM I have, and the worst is with the Aurisonics ASG-1, which goes down a lot when I disable all processing functions but it's still there. I use Media Monkey now and there's no hiss.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 5
  Chances are it's an impedance issue if the amp helps a bit, but obviously if it's still there then there's another source. What player app are you using? Neutron Media Player hisses on every IEM I have, and the worst is with the Aurisonics ASG-1, which goes down a lot when I disable all processing functions but it's still there. I use Media Monkey now and there's no hiss.

I was using PowerAmp, love the UI on it. I will try out Media Monkey, never knew they had an android app.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Same amount of hissing, must be the output impedance.

Yep it has to be a hardware issue, no issues from PowerAmp on my SGS3 either. I only switched to MM because I was already using that on my PC (and also have the remote app). Wireless syncing isn't perfect yet but it's still in Beta.

I'm also waiting for the X1 by the way. Some people found it unsavory that Fiio is intentionally tweaking the sound for added bass, and while I'd rather they keep it flat (given the added bass on my ASG-1), I'm not crossing it off my list just yet. For all I know the treble extension is good enough - not necessarily bumped up but better than the SGS3 - and with better amplification also rein in the bass (which isn't all that bad). In any case I'm actually more concerned about the gain setting - as much as it will supposedly be tweaked for IEMs, the ASG-1's sensitivity is insane. All my IEMs I can plug into the jack on the volume knob of my gaming PC's speakers; the ASG-1 goes from 0 (where I can still hear something) to ear splitting with the slightest movement of the knob. It even works fine with just 25% volume out of the SGS3, and 20% out of my iPad2. I don't think you'll have that same problem with the Westone3 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back