Should I buy the Phillips Uptown?
May 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

srmotta

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I'm in a huge dilemma :)

I have recently bought the Shure SE215 In-Ears (about two or three months ago), and I am in love with them. The sound is very nice and I really like them. My only complaint is regarding the difficulty that it is to put them on :)

After buying an over-ear headphone for my girlfriend, I noticed how I miss being able to just put up some over-ears and how comfortable they are.

So, I am here to ask if I should buy the Phillips Uptown. They are on sale for £56, and I think it is a reasonable price.
My main question is if its sound quality is on the same standard as the SE215, as I don't want to get a really better headphone (I still want to come back to hearing my SE215s!).

I know that we can't quite compare between in-ears and over-ears, but do you guys *think* it would be a good buy, given the conditions that I mentioned? What would be the main advantages and disadvantages?

Thank you very much for all your comments and advice!

May 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 6
Haven't heard the shures but the uptowns are absolutely wonderful cans, on par with my Fidelio l1, mdr 1r,etc. Theyre not tge most accurate cans but they have a nice sound stage and presentation. They're very warm sounding, and laid back. Best at the price point of $80-$130 IMO easily.

May 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the answer Trunks159!

Is there anybody with another opinion?
And what about the Downtown? It's half the price of the Uptown (the gray one, not as pretty but I wouldn't mind).
What is the opinion of you guys?

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 6
I have them right next to me right now and I'll be honest, best bang for your bucks when purchased at sticker price. It looks gorgeous, sounds pretty damn solid for a sub 100 and is actually very soundproof. Now, the downsides to these are that they don't have replaceable cables, which can get annoying. But at sub $100, as long as they last a reasonable amount of time then I won't be complaining. You've made a good choice. I've spent way more time with the Uptown than with my Senn HD558 which is up in a higher price category. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back