Should I buy one of these, or instead treat my g/f to a Michelin * meal?!
May 15, 2024 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Maddogc

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I recently took the plunge into the world of digital and bought a RME ADI-2 DAC fs to facilitate listening to streamed music via my new 470 ohm headphones. I have no complaints about the sound, in-fact it is fantastic. But as someone who is always wanting more (greedy!!) and also believing in the notion that separates will often be better, I was wondering if I would there would be a dedicated headphone amp that would sound noticeably better than plugging into the RME?

I have read that it is difficult to extrapolate figures/spec from the RME specific to the headphone amp, as they are often merged with the DAC. I would only want to spend about £500, would anyone have any suggestions please, or (as I have read a few reviewers say) would I not be able to better the RME?

I have looked at Lake People G111, Lehmann Drachenfels and the Music Fidelity MX-HPA, but not being in the slightest bit technical, I cannot even guess how they might compare!

Thank you in advance! Steven

May 15, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 12
XDEDEDEDED.png

May 15, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm using a Topping A70Pro and with a 5v DAC I don't think it's technically possible to get better than it. The SMSL SP400 is also great with a higher voltage DAC like yours is.

May 15, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 12
meal

May 15, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #8 of 12
As an owner of the 470 ohm ATH-R70X, I'm perfectly happy with an amp that's <$100. (Monolith Liquid Spark at the moment, also have used Schiit Magni 3 and VE Megatron.) Your current amp looks pretty stellar -- plenty of power, excellent measurements. Don't succumb to upgrade-itis.

May 15, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 12
Dear Steven, upgrade-itis is the most dangerous addiction my friend.:L3000:
My wife knows a lot about it, I was almost thrown out of the house!!
I agree with all the comments above, your current device is excellent in all perspectives.
You also have your new headphones, you admit the sound is fantastic, so, I would say enjoy your music!!!
If the doctor cannot save you, you have to spend a lot of money before you hear really clear differences to the sound,
speaking 10-20% better, over some thousand dollars set-ups. Cheers!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back