Short Comparison (HD650 cables): Revelation Audio Labs Paradise vs. The Stock Cable
Nov 12, 2006 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Patu

Headphoneus Supremus
So I did a short comparison to the stock cable today. Nothing extensive, just a quick 30 min comparison between the stock cable and RAL. Because honestly, ATM I'm not that interested to do these comparisons. I'm VERY pleased with my setup and I try to keep it as it is as long as possible. I was asked to do this comparison so here we go.

Here's some information about the test and what I found out.

I used my rig which you can see in my signature and for test tracks I used Rush, Massive Attack, Steve Vai and Pink Floyd. This is quite the basic stuff when I test hifi equipments.

I used the newest foobar2000 with crossfeed plugin turned on.

Both cables are fully burned in (over 200 hours) and so are my headphones (probably somewhere between 500 and 1000 hours).

About the cable itself:

It's very well built and has a solid construction. It's slightly microphonic when it scratches against a table or something but it doesn't bother me at all. It's very flexible (more than G52 was but not as flexible as Headphile V2) so it's quite easy to handle. The purple color isn't for everybody but I think it looks cool. You can choose a different color if you want, just mention about it when you order the cable. At least that's what akwok said earlier.

About the sound:

I switched back to the stock cable today and the differences were what I expected them to be. First of all the stock cable has more muffled sound with less separation and clarity. RAL with its silver construction brings you all the details and sparkles from the tracks without losing anything. The feeling of muffled sound gets stronger due to the more overwhelming bass with the stock cable. With RAL there's less bass but it has better quality. It's faster, tighter and in better control. Silver usually has this effect to bass and so it is with RAL also.

People often say that silver might make the sound too bright and revealing and so lead to fatiguing sound. That's not the case with RAL. I've never had to take off the headphones because of getting fatigued, sibilance or anything like that. Sound is still very enjoyable without any annoying peaks in the highest tones.

With the stock cable, the sound is more in my head. With RAL the soundstage opens up nicely and there's more space and air in the sound. I also have this feeling of more coherent sound with RAL than with the stock cable. It's like there's something missing when I use the stock cable now.

So overall I'm very pleased with RAL and I have no regrets paying the $199 price for it. It's not even a bad price compared to many other manufacturers. You get a 2 meter long cable with that price.

RAL650_800.jpg

So I hope this helps you people looking for an upgrade cable for HD650. I really think that RAL belongs to the same class with "the legendary" Equinox, ZU and Moon Audio products (and RnB G52).

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 11
Thanks for the impressions! I've been thinking about getting an aftermarket cable for my HD650s and since I haven't really tried any I have a hard time deciding. Unfortunately I'm a little out of money right now so I won't be ordering anything right now. I have a diy cable I made myself out of silver plated copper and some hd600 plugs but I didn't make(and don't know how to) the plugs strong enough and they keep braking whenever I accidentally pull them a little harder. But even the diy cable sounds better than the stock cable, with tighter bass and clearer sound.

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm wondering if the silver had the common effect that many folk attribute to it: that it brightens the sound? If so, the bass may have been better resolved but unaffected in frequency response and compared to the mids/highs, sound lower in volume. In other words, if it's brighter, then you might turn the volume down a bit and, hence, have less bass. Was this the case, or did you keep the volume control the same between both cables and still noticed less bass?

I was thinking of going with the RAL for my K701, but I think I'll pass on that and consider getting one for my HD600 instead. Should I buy a set of HD650 with RAL cable to compliment my stock-cabled K701 and Clou-cabled HD600?

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by seasterl
I'm wondering if the silver had the common effect that many folk attribute to it: that it brightens the sound? If so, the bass may have been better resolved but unaffected in frequency response and compared to the mids/highs, sound lower in volume. In other words, if it's brighter, then you might turn the volume down a bit and, hence, have less bass. Was this the case, or did you keep the volume control the same between both cables and still noticed less bass?

I didn't notice any significant difference in volume level. I didn't turn the volume pot between the cables. I just switched between the cables.

EDIT: But yes I think the sound is slightly brighter with RAL. Not much but slightly. Most of all it has clearer and more resolving sound than the stock cable.

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 11
I got my cable, a 3M K271S replacement with 1/4" termination, early this week. I listened to about 1/2 the CD of Ani Difranco "Up Up Up Up Up" with the stock cable, then with the RAL cable cold.

Immediate improvement in many of the ways Patu said re: his Senn cable. Bigger soundstage, more details (not harsh), and a "coherency." If this is what I'm thinking of, I call it focus: the ability to better discern the physical presence of an instrument or voice in the soundstage.

I have had about 30-35 hours of time now with the cable, with mostly folk/jazz female vox and piano music; and I think the bass is NOT impacted here (the Ani album has some good bass). Now the AKG doesn't have tremendous bass to begin with, but there is still a fair bit of depth and definitely tightness there. Radio Massacre International has some ambient music with subterranean bass, and it shows up very well here, though not up to par with my Senn's or Grado's.

My 3M cable was $239; about 50% more than what I paid for the phones themselves. Was it worth it? Quite possibly. I am enjoying these tremendously! I liked the K271S's before the cable swap, and I like them quite a bit more now.

Stephen: given my experience with these, I am debating on either the 701 or Senn 650 upgrade; let me know if you decide one way or another. Once I save up a bit more, I will probably do more business with Brad. My expectations of turnaround time will be more realistic now, but I have no doubts about his integrity!

Nov 18, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 11
I've decided to leave my K701 alone (for now) and I'm happy with the Clou-cabled sound of my HD600. I have been thinking, though, of picking up a set of HD650 and using the RAL cable in hopes of getting a complimentary sound to the HD600 (sort of like a blend of HD600 and K701). Or,... I was even thinking of getting a set of Grado GS1000 phones because I have two nice tube amps that I can't use due to not being able to drive the K701 or HD600, not to mention that the Grado would represent the far extreme of brightness and what I can tolerate before I get a headache. I'm worried that if I did pull the trigger on the GS1000, I'd find the sound too much like that of the RS1 or SR325 that I'd experienced already and then be stuck with a $1k set of phones. (You know how it goes from there: keep them and not use them that much or sell them and loose about 50% of the "investment.") Honestly, I really can't complain about my K701 and HD600 since they are so complimentary. However, I would like to get another headphone amp.

Getting back to the RAL, since the price of admission is not terribly high, I am strongly considering getting a new set of HD650 and outfitting them with the RAL cable. You're right: Brad is a great guy to deal with, and no doubt as his company gains in popularity, turnaround time to fill orders will increase. Do you think a RAL-cabled HD650 would compliment a Clou-cabled HD600, or should I pick up a set of GS1000?

Nov 19, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Hmmmm, I've heard a stock 600, but never the Clou. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to say how they'd compare to a 650/RAL combo.

Based on Patu's description, I think the RAL helps alleviate the slight veil or darkness that the 650's have, but I doubt it brings it anywhere near the typical Grado sound.

My RnB Grace 5-2 on 650's brings out a more detail and also brightens the high's a bit (not too bright), but it still sounds pretty different than the GS-1000. I'm thinking you may be happier with a recable or the 650/new cable than with the GS-1000....

Nov 19, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on Patu's description, I think the RAL helps alleviate the slight veil or darkness that the 650's have, but I doubt it brings it anywhere near the typical Grado sound.

My RnB Grace 5-2 on 650's brings out a more detail and also brightens the high's a bit (not too bright), but it still sounds pretty different than the GS-1000. I'm thinking you may be happier with a recable or the 650/new cable than with the GS-1000....

If I want Grado sound I buy Grado headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've owned G52 also. It is a very good cable but unfortunately it has been too long since I heard it so it's hard to compare it to RAL.

Nov 19, 2006 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 11
Patu;2502953 said:
If I want Grado sound I buy Grado headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

I appreciate your review of the RAL-cabled HD650, but you missed my point about buying Grado. The reason there are so many different Grado models is because they each have a little different signature. After owning (and selling) Grado RS1 and SR325, I was worried that I might not like the GS1000. However, their frequency response eliminates the typical Grado over-response in the mids and upper mids and doesn't come into play until about 9k Hz. This is not a bad thing since the human ear requires a few more decibels at that frequency anyway for the sound to be smoother. I just didn't want to buy a $1k set of headphone and be worried about trying to get money back. Since this is not a Grado thread, and since I was also considering a RAL-cabled HD650, I thought that it might be interesting to think of the brightness that you're experiencing as being almost of a cross between a K701 and an HD600. (The reason I mentioned the GS1000 was that it was another option I was considering instead of RAL-cabled HD650.)

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by seasterl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate your review of the RAL-cabled HD650, but you missed my point about buying Grado.

It was meant to be a joke but for some reason the smiley doesn't show up after the sentence.
smily_headphones1.gif

I didn't like GS1000 at all but I like RS1 and RS2 very much. But let's not go offtopic.

EDIT: Seems like the basic smiley isn't working at all.

Nov 19, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 11
No problem, Patu. Thanks again for your review on the RAL-cabled HD650. As you continue to use them, and if they break in more or you compare them to more cables, feel free to post an update to this thread. Your opinions could save me money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back