Shopping for Open Back Headphones, Suggestions?
May 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DieForSurviving

Head-Fier
I am the current owner of the Pro700mk2s and a Fiio E12 AMP.

I love my Pro700mk2s as they sound very good, they fit VERY snugly. (usually people complain about the clamp force but I like it, VERY snug.)

They are still closed back headphones, though.

I am now searching for Open headphones, Thoughts? Recommendations?

Open-Back headphones I am considering are as follows:

Hifiman's RE-300 (with Felt removal mod, and alpha dog pads)

Grado's SR225i (no mods considered ATM)

Philips' Fidelio X1 (Cable Swap)

SoundMAGIC's HP200 (no mods considered ATM)

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 11
I'll try my best to describe my tastes...

Preferences:
-Bass:
big fan of sub-bass aka 50hz and down.
I like Bass strong enough to give the audio a sense of power where called for, but i dont like it to overpower or get muddy.

-Mids:
Rich, Smooth mids. Something to make voices both male and female sound luscious.

-Treble:
Smoother than butter, I cannot take piercing, harsh treble at all.

-Overall:
Something 'all around' but with a thick sound and plenty of power where called for.

-Budget:
I'm still starting out my collection, and my budget is low, ~$200, ($300 MAX) Lower is preferable.

(as much as I'd love to drop thousands on something amazing, i cannot.)

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 11
  Philips Fidelio X1 is what you want

Philips Fidelio X1 -- have not heard them, but take a look at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/721406/how-we-rank-our-own-headphones-statistics-of-2-000-owner-rankings-compiled

The X1 is ranked #7 overall across all headphones using data from 340 head-fi users who post with little to gain except reputation, so its not gamed.  The top 7 are all open designs, too, so you're comparing apples and apples. 

Normally I don't suggest a headphone unless I've heard them, but this ranking is pretty strong evidence.  Based on measurements at Innerfidelity and Tyll's review, they have the sonic flavor you seek.  I would get them if I didn't have an endgame headphone with a similar sonic signature high up on the list (LCD-2 version 2, which I highly recommend for your exact tastes if you have the budget).

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 11
The Philips Fidelio X1 is definitely nice, I re-read InnerFidelity's review on these...

the things that are keeping me from picking these are as follows:

the warnings about the input port breaking along side pads that are NOT replaceable are keeping me skeptical about getting them.

I do like my bass but these sound like they are TOO bassy, and the slightly loose bass doesn't help either.

now i know these are low price and I am asking for a bit much, but I'd like to see all my options and decide then which I will go with.

@RoMee If these headphones are not as bassy as i think they are, please correct me.

Additionally if anyone knows if the weak port was a error in the first batches that was fixed later, please inform me.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 11
@jazzman7

i guess i'll be going with the Philips Fidelio X1, though I still feel like they are probably too bassy for what i like, but only time will tell.

those issues with the pads and the jack port are still going to worry me though.

If i DO go with them i will be adding a review to this thread. and how i feel about them in comparison with my current headphones.

(yes i am looking into getting the audeze headphones later on when I have the budget.)

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 11
  @jazzman7

i guess i'll be going with the Philips Fidelio X1, though I still feel like they are probably too bassy for what i like, but only time will tell.

those issues with the pads and the jack port are still going to worry me though.

If i DO go with them i will be adding a review to this thread. and how i feel about them in comparison with my current headphones.

(yes i am looking into getting the audeze headphones later on when I have the budget.)

Now you are reminding me why I did not jump on them:  replacability of the pads.   I have had some issues with Philips' headphones in the past (Uptowns -- pads separated at the seam).

If you do get the X1, you are going in with your eyes open, though. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 11
I was reading up on the Philips Fidelio X1...

On the 8th post in this thread they provided a link to this other thread, a review on the SoundMAGIC's HP200 headphones.

reading up on it, it is closer to my interests. I feel as though others think I am a Basshead, though that is not the case. I was just looking for open headphones that would have bass that reached far to the sub-bass levels as best as they could. Like how closed headphones can achieve with ease.

as far as i can see is they
+cost less
+larger driver (you know that means deeper bass) also same size driver as current headphones.
+REPLACEABLE PADS? HOLY YES!
+no funky headband adjusting BS (PS: im a fan of DJ style headphones like my current, they fit snug, work well, fold nicely etc.)
-Cant handle as much power
-freq range not as broad
-efficiency/sensitivity is lower

If has any relevant info on these new contenders, that'd be nice.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 11
Have you maybe thought about the DT 990 Pro it runs for about 150. And sounds great has killer bass for an open headphone but not too bassy.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 11
I've lucked out and got to try out a friends 32 Ohm DT990 Premium and it was really nice but it was a Touch harsh in the treble barely noticeable but im EXTREMELY sensitive with treble.

my ears Writhe at the faintest touch of harshness.

I also do some sound editing and mixing for a handful of friends, so i'd like something unforgiving with low quality files and errors in mixes. the DT 990 premiums were for the most part, forgiving... sorta. My current headphones are also very forgiving.

I'm a novice sound editor and mixer but I can am good enough. (need less forgiving headphones tho.)

i'll provide a example of one of my works shortly but first i wanna say this is NOT as good as my usual works

Final Version -vs- Raw Version

Now, Please don't hate but the next one is MLP:FIM Fan music. However, this is my usual level of quality.

This link here, will let you access BOTH the edited and Unedited versions.

TAKE NOTE THAT PLAYING THE FILES OFF OF MEDIAFIRE ADDS DISTORTION THAT IS NOT THERE IN THE FILES. (how bad it is depends on your connection)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back