Shaving, gents
Apr 8, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #271 of 943
I managed to procure a vintage Gillette J2 from my grandfather last night. Derby blades have been ordered and I have been practicing my lathering. It sounds stupid, but its harder than it looks. Hopefully by mid next week I will have all my supplies and be ready to step up to my first DE wet shave.

Honestly it can't be worse than my last 3 blade Gillette shave, my face is still broken out from like 3 nights ago from razor burn.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #272 of 943
Skipping back to Junereth's "format wars" problem, can I mention that my late 1940s / early 1950 Gillette Superspeed uses blades I can buy this week? :)

For longeivity and getting it right (almost*) first time without endless pointless (except for profiteering) modification, I'd say the DE blade will (when it has a few more decades under its belt) be up there with Lyle's Golden Syrup and The Wheel...

*   http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,839192,00.html  ( That little carbon / rusty v. stainless spat of '65  )

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #274 of 943
I have tried so many shavers..

I don't have curly bard hair- so One panasonic portable ES wet dry series with triple foil was amazing.. ran off of AA batteries. That as closer than any blade combo...catch was you needed 2 days of growth to get that close.

The best daily shaver for me is the Schick titanium quattro. Far better than the 5 blade gillette fusion..and much better than the regular  schick quattro. Complete Disposables..simply just seem dull from the first use...so forget those.

The real secret.. shave in the shower with hot water- use Body shop glcerin soap instead of shaving cream..shave once downwards- then pull your skin on your face taught and shave upwards in quick strokes to catch the hair just below the surface.

Apr 12, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #275 of 943
I use a Norelco 1290X electric razor, no irritation on my face, but I have to clean up my neck with a fusion blade. There is this aftershave my dad's girlfriend turned me on to, Tend Skin, worth its weight in gold....

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #276 of 943
I use a Norelco 1290X electric razor, no irritation on my face, but I have to clean up my neck with a fusion blade. There is this aftershave my dad's girlfriend turned me on to, Tend Skin, worth its weight in gold....

You might want to drop in at O U Beauty (www.oubeauty.com) in Glendale. They carry a nice selection of shaving gear.

If you have to clean up after an electric shave, you might find happiness with a real DE setup.

Though I'm violating shaving scripture, I got myself nicely clean tonight with a DE razor and bar soap. (Feather SS with a Red Israeli Personna). Still better than any electric or cartridge I've tried. Even better when I go in with a Feather blade and a proper lather with Mitchell's Wool Fat and a large Rooney beehive.

But I've been kinda lazy.

Still, I got a damned fine shave and I didn't have to buy one of Gillette's ridiculously priced cartridges. Did you know those cost Gillette about 5¢ each? If that makes you angry, consider DE. The best blades cost a quarter each. You can get excellent shaves for less, though. I've been working through the Bics and Red IPs. Not as good as Feathers and Platinums, but still a better shave than any cartridge or electric.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #277 of 943
Its almost time to reorder my shaving cream.  I'm surprised a tub of Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood lasted as long as it did (about 6-7 months).  West Coast Shaving is the place to go!

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #279 of 943
I feel I have to share this with you.

Badger & Blade thread with a newbie complaining about cutting himself with a Gillette Superspeed, (which for those in the know is well-nigh impossible with even the smallest modicum of technique).

Read down a bit, and Topgumby uncorks what might be the greatest forum post of all time. Although YMMV. But it probably won't: such is the genuine quality.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=196955

And also a bit further down, (Post #37) he delivers an equally zen take on "exceptions to the rule".

My work here is done.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #281 of 943

Quote:
You actually finished something! I've been shaving properly now since about august and haven't finished anything yet apart from two free samples, and i'm not likely to for a couple of years yet, oh well, it's cheaper than collecting headphones...

Ha, yeah, I guess I get set in my ways pretty easily.  I started about three years ago with the same Gillette SS that I use now (still in search of my great grand-father's straight), and good old TOBS Sandalwood.  Took a bit of a diversion when I tried the Art of Shaving lemon (which I still use in the summer), but it's too expensive to make a habit of.  Just ran out of good blades as well...looks like restocking time. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #282 of 943

Quote:
Hey everyone. I find straight razors "cool". I just turned 15 and for some reason i like reproducing "some" parts of history. Like using fountain pens, soon going on collecting vintage pocket knifes, and like people did back that, use straight razors. I wanted to go down to the barber and get a straight razor cut (if thats what they call it) and get my "thick coat of stubble
cool.gif
." shaved. My grandpa told me that i shouldent do that because my hair will grow in more coarse. So whatever... Than my dad say's later today that i wont be getting one because when he was a little boy he didnt have electric shavers like they do today and he had acne like me (i dont have it as bad as i once did) and that when he did use the straight razor it would cut his acne (duhhh) and so he's like your not doing that. So what do you guys think?

Hey cifani,
  I had acne problems at 15 as well, and let me tell you, no razor completely spares you from cuts, so definitely be careful as you don't want permanent scarring.  Anyway, if I were you I'd start with something like a Gillette Superspeed from the fifties or sixties, as you can get them pretty cheap on ebay, then look at some places like westcoastshaving.com for blades (they have a sample pack of different brands).  You can transition into straight razors when you have the money and time (for sharpening, stropping, etc) if you still have the inclination.  TBH, I started out with my Superspeed and a brush, soap and razorblades from walmart, then worked my way up.   This kind of shaving is definitely more relaxing and interesting historically, so I recommend it. 

Cheers,
Zach

p.s. also check out badger and blade forums for some tips on how to get started without cutting yourself.  Its a little different than the five blade monstrosities that are on sale today.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #283 of 943

Quote:

Hey cifani,
  I had acne problems at 15 as well, and let me tell you, no razor completely spares you from cuts, so definitely be careful as you don't want permanent scarring.  Anyway, if I were you I'd start with something like a Gillette Superspeed from the fifties or sixties, as you can get them pretty cheap on ebay, then look at some places like westcoastshaving.com for blades (they have a sample pack of different brands).  You can transition into straight razors when you have the money and time (for sharpening, stropping, etc) if you still have the inclination.  TBH, I started out with my Superspeed and a brush, soap and razorblades from walmart, then worked my way up.   This kind of shaving is definitely more relaxing and interesting historically, so I recommend it. 

Cheers,
Zach

p.s. also check out badger and blade forums for some tips on how to get started without cutting yourself.  Its a little different than the five blade monstrosities that are on sale today.

Thanks Zach. I have passed the straight route, and im going on to DE/Safety razors. They are much safer, and IMO less accident prone.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #284 of 943
I am three DE shaves in and mostly liking what has happened so far. Let me say that I don't think I have ever shaved three days in a row so that in itself is something. Equipment being used is a Gillette J2, WalMart Wilkinson Sword blades, Secret Shave Pre Oil, cheap boar brush, and cheap soap puck. First shave was tentative, with no cross or against the grain strokes and wasn't that smooth, but it was three days growth. Second shave had some cross strokes in it and went very well. I finish up with some Witch Hazel and Nivea after shave balm.

Yesterday I switched it up and tried some Real Shave Company sensitive skin cream. I need to figure out how to lather the cream better or something because I got almost no lubrication. I tried two batches of cream and just couldn't get any body to it. It got to the point where I had some nicks because it felt like the cream was doing nothing. I am going to have to experiment more there because I was very disappointed in what I read was a great, cheap cream. I also have an Arko Shave Stick coming in. Hopefully that will work as well as the bowl soap, but without the need for a bowl. Also have Derby blades to play with once I am used to the Wilkinsons.

Guess I need to practice and keep at it.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #285 of 943
Glad to hear it's going OK. Did you spend as long lathering the cream as with the soap? Maybe try it in a bowl a few times so you can at least see your lather progress. It is a pretty good cream that one, it's in my rotation of about 6 and produces reasonable results, albeit not as good as some. Was anything else different in your prep?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back