Sharkk Bravo "Electrostatic Hybrid" Headphones
Sep 6, 2016 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

bluemonkeyflyer

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received my Sharkk Bravo headphones from Indiegogo, today, and searched the forums for an impressions thread. I didn't find any and decided to start one. 

These closed-back headphones are a hybrid of electrostatic and dynamic drivers with the electrostatic energizers built-in to the cups. They are advertised as "High Definition" and "10x Better Sound Quality." The marketing documents also describe them as, "The most affordable Hybrid Electrostatic Headphones® with Hi-Fi sound, power bass, & noise isolation."

I will hold off on posting my impressions until I've had a chance to listen to them for extended sessions. Please post your impressions to this thread.

Update

These are my measurements using a calibrated EMM-6 mic, compensation curve, Steinberg UR22, Centrance Dacmini, Windows 7, and ARTA.

I measured Sharkk Bravo and Sennheiser HD650 for comparison using the same setup and procedures.

What you want is a flat line from left to right on the FR Magnitude Graph and fast decay on the CSD time axis.

I listened to a variety of music, with SPL matching for both headphones, before making these measurements. I concluded that Sharkk Bravo has a huge mid-bass hump that bloats/muffles/veils the midrange frequencies and that the treble frequencies are significantly attenuated...no extension or micro-details. What I heard was confirmed by the 100 Hz hump and treble roll off shown in the measurement graphs.

Sharkk Bravo SPL Frequency Response and Distortion

Sennheiser HD650 SPL Frequency Response and Distortion

Sharkk Bravo CSD

Sennheiser HD650 CSD

Update: First Modification

Well, I don't know about that but I am trying. I opened them up and attempted some mods, today. I added Acoustipak over the back of the electret capsule, Paxmate Plus in the cup floor, and stuffed some cotton inside the bottom of the cup where the headband strap is inserted. There is a huge amount of venting, there, and I hoped by stuffing it with cotton that the bass would be tamed. Result? No joy. 

This first mod configuration shifted the bass hump from 100 Hz to 200 Hz and minimally elevated the treble. Sharkk Bravo still has no treble detail and remains overwhelmed by Boomy Bass Bloat. I may try a few more mods...anyone have any ideas?...but the ear cushions will not tolerate more than 2 or 3 modding cycles before becoming too loose to fit back into the groove between the baffle and cup. They're also very difficult to put back on. You have to turn them inside out and carefully pull/push them into the groove while holding in place as you work your way around.

The build/materials used are cheap: the cups are thin plastic that undoubtedly resonate. The yokes are plastic. The headband cushion cover and side straps look and feel like vinyl.  The cable is flimsy and prone to memory bending. There was no 1/4" adapter, bag, or extra ear cushions that were supposed to be included.

Personally, I would not pay more than $20 for these if I had the chance to do it all over, again. "High Res Audio" and "10x Better Sound" is the epitome of hyperbole. 

Baffle Side

Underside of Baffle

Underside of Electret Circuit Board and Dynamic Driver

Light shows venting

Inside of
cup

First modification does not help

Modified FR Magnitude

~BMF

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 48
Just received mine today as well. So far really enjoying them Listening to spotify on my windows 10 computer. Running through my Centrance dacport slim. only a few hours on them. I think these are a winner.. So So much detail and extended bass and highs. They blow away my Hi Fi man HE 400. really a bargain. hope they get even better as more hours are logged. This combo is great sound on the go for little bucks.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 48
I have been looking at these since I saw a commercial about them, but they look like they wouldn't fit over my ear. Would either of you be willing to measure the internal space of the ear pad?

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 48
Never heard of them...will look em up.

Have you heard AKG 240 or AKG 340,both hybrids as well,if so how do they compare to the oldies?

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 48
They are on ears. Usually I hate on ear phones. However i find them lightweght comfortable and not overly sprung.
Listen tbey are dertanly not the last word in audiphile phones. But for the money they are great and I think comfortably portable. The are effieient and run fine aff my Ipad and my Galaxy 7 phone, but really sing with a portable dac/ amp.
look for a satisfaction guarantee the roll out is over so you will pay retail. If you dont like them return them.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 48
  I have been looking at these since I saw a commercial about them, but they look like they wouldn't fit over my ear. Would either of you be willing to measure the internal space of the ear pad?

Circumaural cups and pads fit around your ears.

Inside = 4cm x 6cm

Outside = 6cm x 9cm

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 48
My friend ordered these and hasn't received them yet, but he's already regretting the purchase based on the early reviews.  feedback on the indeogogo page is not positive right now to say the least based on a few issues including build and sound quality :/.  hopefully they can deliver some sort of fix which pleases their customers.

Sep 8, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 48
They are using Verisonix drivers in a different cup. I would like to hear a impression between them and the I502C .

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 48
I would love to hear them, though not actually buy them. I saw them on Indiegogo and saw some very ambiguous terms and numbers, and interesting graphs..

"10x Better Sound Quality"

A bit misleading as they're using hybrid Electret and dynamic drivers instead of an actual electrostatic driver, which from what I've read are different if not very different.

All I know is that I can find some cheap Stax electret headphones on ebay so it kind of frustrates me how with some quick Google searches for reviews get me various reviewers saying how the company managed to get $1000 tech into a $250 package.

Not only that, they look fairly cheap and not really reliable in terms of durability.

If anyone wants to start a tour, sign me up! Haha!

Sep 9, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 48
Why do people keep posting headphone impressions threads to the help section? This section is not for that; it is for asking for help, recommendations, and introducing yourself.

Here's another thread about this headphone: http://www.head-fi.org/t/814763/any-idea-about-this-new-headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back