Shanling UA5 - Portable USB DAC/AMP || 4.4mm Balanced Output || Hybrid Battery Power || Independent Volume Control || 235 USD / Euro
Feb 17, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #46 of 97
Mar 4, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #47 of 97
UA5's AP measurement can be found here. In sum, THD+N on both channels in single-ended output could be better, otherwise all good.

Mar 26, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #48 of 97

With UA5, we are pushing our UA line into a bit different category. While UA1 and UA2 worked nicely as simple USB Audio dongles, UA5 is quite a bit closer to your bigger portable DAC/AMPs.

UA5 adds volume wheel for an independent volume control, small screen for an easy access to multiple settings directly on the device, full-size 4.4mm balanced connector instead of fragile 2.5mm, fully balanced audio circuit, SPDIF digital output for use with other DACs and special Hybrid battery Power mode, to reduce battery drain from your smartphone.

UA5 provides a better sound quality for your smartphone and a better user experience when connected to your computer.

Key features

• Monochromatic 1.44-inch OLED display, giving access to multiple settings directly on the UA5, without any need for an app on the phone.
  • Volume wheel for an independent volume control. Also serving as a menu navigation.
  • 3.5mm Single-ended and 4.4mm Balanced outputs.
  • Possible to switch between full USB Power and Hybrid Battery Power mode. In Hybrid mode, DACs and amplifiers are using clean power from the build-in 220 mAh battery.
  • Fully balanced circuit with two ESS ES9038Q2M DACs and two dedicated Ricore RE6863 amplifiers.
  • Digital SPDIF coax output through 3.5mm connector.
  • Compatible with Android, Windows, Mac and iOS. Special lightning cable needed for use with iOS.
  • UAC2.0 and UAC1.0 mode compatible, for use with a Nintendo Switch and other gaming systems or older devices.
  • Hi-Res support up to 32bit / 768khz and DSD512
  • Output power 137 mW @ 32 Ohm SE // 211 mW @ 32 Ohm Balanced.
  • USB-C Connector. USB-C to USB-C cable and adapter to USB-A included in the packaging.
  • Available in black or red anodized aluminium.

UA5 will be available at our international distributors in March.

MSRP 235 USD/Euro

Hybrid Batter Power mode

When enabled, certain sections of UA5 will still be running on USB power, like USB Controller and FPGA. But the crucial parts of DAC and amplifier will instead use a cleaner power from the battery.

In our testing, this set-up proved helpful in three scenarios:
  • Consistent analog performance and noise floor, independent from the quality of USB power of the connected device.
  • Reduced power drain from the connected device, which can be crucial when running it with smartphone.
  • Reduced power demand allows for a compatibility with certain devices, that are normally unable to provide enough power for USB DAC/Amps.
UA5 is of course capable of running in a standard USB Powered mode, in which the battery is completely disconnected and all sections of UA5 runs out of USB power. UA5 will automatically switch to this mode when the battery runs too low.

Protective leather case will be sold separately. Available in 3 colors, 15 USD.

Just curious if this guy decodes LOD from IPC 5/5.5Gen?

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #50 of 97
Shanling up4 is not detectable in usb-mode on PC/laptop if you use usb-c to usb-c cable, nor it detects microphone of headsets. Does UA5 get detected over usb-c to usb-c on PCs/laptops?, and can you use headsets with microphone to full potential?

Apr 1, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #51 of 97
... Does UA5 get detected over usb-c to usb-c on PCs/laptops?, and can you use headsets with microphone to full potential?
I can confirm UA5 will work over Type-c to Type-c connection on PC.

I don't recall however that UA5 supporting headset with mic input.

Apr 1, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #52 of 97
Shanling up4 is not detectable in usb-mode on PC/laptop if you use usb-c to usb-c cable, nor it detects microphone of headsets. Does UA5 get detected over usb-c to usb-c on PCs/laptops?, and can you use headsets with microphone to full potential?
USB inputs on UP2 and UP4 were quite different. UA5 works without any issues with USB-C to C cable.

There is no support for microphone on UA5.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 4, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #55 of 97
Did it change with burn in or anything?

This review seems to say the opposite about it being bright.
Nothing changed over time, as far as I can tell. Still sound bright to me, as compared to L&P W2 (*neutral) and Cayin RU6 (*warm).

May 4, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #56 of 97
Nothing changed over time, as far as I can tell. Still sound bright to me, as compared to L&P W2 (*neutral) and Cayin RU6 (*warm).
I just got done reading about 30 pages in the L&P W2 thread. You guys have a lot of good info there!

I have a pair of Fostex TH900’s I’m trying to get along with. I’m told they don’t pair well with THX based amps.

These headphones can be a bit fatiguing and shrill in the top end.

Since they seem to have a pretty wide soundstage for being closed back, I wonder if they would pair well with the RU6 more centered sound?

May 4, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #57 of 97
I just got done reading about 30 pages in the L&P W2 thread. You guys have a lot of good info there!

I have a pair of Fostex TH900’s I’m trying to get along with. I’m told they don’t pair well with THX based amps.

Since they seem to have a pretty wide soundstage for being closed back, I wonder if they would pair well with the RU6 more centered sound?
Buy and try!

May 5, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #59 of 97

I want to add that by 'bright', I don't mean it as a frequency thing but a presentation / position thing.

For example, I just listened to the song 'More Than Words' by Extreme and there are guitar all through out the song. With W2, the guitar is positioned pretty much the same location next to the vocal. With W2-131, the vocal stands out just a little more than guitar. RU6 will be about the same as W2-131 except that the vocal and guitar seems to have mashed together. UA5 on the other hand will bring the guitar in front of the vocal, which in turn give the whole music a brighter note.

May 5, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #60 of 97
I want to add that by 'bright', I don't mean it as a frequency thing but a presentation / position thing.

For example, I just listened to the song 'More Than Words' by Extreme and there are guitar all through out the song. With W2, the guitar is positioned pretty much the same location next to the vocal. With W2-131, the vocal stands out just a little more than guitar. RU6 will be about the same as W2-131 except that the vocal and guitar seems to have mashed together. UA5 on the other hand will bring the guitar in front of the vocal, which in turn give the whole music a brighter note.
Thanks, this was explained so well. I’m definitely the kind of person that listens to music, more than vocals (if had to choose one over the other) Especially as a guitarist. I always get crap for it, but I enjoy listening to metal on ATH M50x’s. It has thumpyness in the low mids that I wish the TH900’s had. Snare hits are much more impactful on the M50x’s

The Fostex Th900’s have unusual characteristics. The bass is thunderous, yet they’re easy to drive. The mids are subdued, and the highs can be painful. Because they are V shaped and the bass dips at 125 hz, I will want something that will keep the bass intact, yes push the mids forward, and smooth back the highs. I tried EQ and it just didn’t seem to get the results I was expecting.

As far as space, I like some width and depth, but it doesn’t need to be extreme. Separation of instruments novelty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back