Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 19, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #16 of 1,112
I'm not one to compare when I don't have both on hand. From memory, M5 has better dynamics and fuller sound but auditory memory is a tricky thing.

Today was M5 + UM Miracle with Fleetwood Mac and DJ Krush. Sounded great. Didn't feel anything lacking. Was a little worried because M5 does have higher than typical output impedance (~6-7 Ohm IIRC), but both 6 & 12 driver UM IEM sound great with M5 so far.

I'll take another day or two to acclimate to M5 and then see what I think vs. other DAPs I've got on hand.

I agree that it's difficult to compare two devices from auditory memory. However, what I do is remember what I can or cannot hear in specific test tracks. For example, on the song Hexes by Tesseract on their Polaris album, at for 0:48-1:05 there are certain bass drops that are either very faint or very prominent depending on the DAP I'm using. That I can always remember which one sounded best or worst.. That's just one instance, there are hundreds more.. But that's all we're or at least the type of stuff I'm looking for when I read reviews. Specs are always fantastic for building hype, as it did with me when I found out the Chipset and L/F.

One last thing. How thick does the aluminum feel? As in, if you accidentally dropped it,do you feel it will dent?

As always, I can't wait for this to hit the stores or Amazon. :beers:

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 1,112
I'm not one to compare when I don't have both on hand. From memory, M5 has better dynamics and fuller sound but auditory memory is a tricky thing.

Today was M5 + UM Miracle with Fleetwood Mac and DJ Krush. Sounded great. Didn't feel anything lacking. Was a little worried because M5 does have higher than typical output impedance (~6-7 Ohm IIRC), but both 6 & 12 driver UM IEM sound great with M5 so far.

I'll take another day or two to acclimate to M5 and then see what I think vs. other DAPs I've got on hand.

Glad it sounds good, but wth is up w/ Shanling and their DAP output impedances... Then again, A&K and Sony do well and don't appear too bothered about Zout either.

Mar 20, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #18 of 1,112
I'm glad they are sticking with the Muses 8920 low pass filtering amp. I find it to be smooth for the highs. Not to mention, having the AK4490 as the primary DAC chip! It sounds like it will be a very detail oriented monster that runs on butter cream! Consider me a buyer!

Yes. M5 has typical Shanling sound - smooth but with plenty of detail. Luckily, I'll have the M2 back in house Monday and will be able to listen to both. From memory, M5 feels much more solid than M2.

Glad it sounds good, but wth is up w/ Shanling and their DAP output impedances... Then again, A&K and Sony do well and don't appear too bothered about Zout either.

I've mentioned OI to a couple of DAP manufacturers, but they seem to feel it's important for either smooth sound, black background, or both. Hopefully they'll overcome those obstacles...

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #20 of 1,112
@nmatheis

Can you compare the sound of M5 to Fiio X7, even if from memory? Thanks in advance!

Well, I just happen to have both in hand for a couple more days. I'll give them a listen tomorrow and get back to you. What would you like me to listen with? HE400? IEM? BA?Dynamic? Hybrid? Wild card?
:beerchug:

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #23 of 1,112
Yes. M5 has typical Shanling sound - smooth but with plenty of detail. Luckily, I'll have the M2 back in house Monday and will be able to listen to both. From memory, M5 feels much more solid than M2.
I've mentioned OI to a couple of DAP manufacturers, but they seem to feel it's important for either smooth sound, black background, or both. Hopefully they'll overcome those obstacles...

I think that the Astell & Kern AK Jr would be a really good match up. Price wise, form, and I can take a random stab by saying Sound as well. Which is honestly a good thing. I love the AK Jr. As it has a very laid back sound yet has details by the bucket loads. Furthermore, it too doesn't has a big soundstage in terms of depth but has great width.. Just like the Shanling M2, it will be interesting to see how Shanling has evolved their sound to the M5.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #24 of 1,112
Preferably FLC8S if you still have it. :) Else any multi-driver BA IEM will do.

Gave both M5 and X7 a listen with FLC8S (red-grey-gold config) just now using Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album and prefer the M5. More definition across the spectrum without any hot spots. X7 sounds a bit dulled in comparison. Not the result I was expecting, to be quite honest. I thought X7 would end up sounding better, but I found myself returning to the M5 each time without hesitation. Of course, the X7 has some attractive features that could overcome this for some people - touchscreen, streaming, amp modules. I can't say that any of those are attractive enough to overcome my preference for the M5, though. Of course, YMMV.

Any other questions, just shoot.

M2 should be here Mon/The for comparison...

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #25 of 1,112
Hi, can you make a quick match between M3 vs M5 ? With over-ear headphones if possible?

M5 is not a dual mono design, I wonder if it's make a difference.
Looking at M5 specs, I admit I was waiting for more... M5 doesn't seems to be better than M3, what do you think Nmatheis?

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #26 of 1,112
My M3 is up in Canada right now Judge584. Been there for awhile, so it's hard for me to comment on M3 vs. M5. M5 is certainly a nice design update at the very least, and from memory M5 sounds more dynamic / energetic than M3. But that's just from memory so take it with a grain of salt.

I'll listen to M5 with HE400 tonight and report back...

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #27 of 1,112
Gave both M5 and X7 a listen with FLC8S (red-grey-gold config) just now using Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album and prefer the M5. More definition across the spectrum without any hot spots. X7 sounds a bit dulled in comparison. Not the result I was expecting, to be quite honest. I thought X7 would end up sounding better, but I found myself returning to the M5 each time without hesitation. Of course, the X7 has some attractive features that could overcome this for some people - touchscreen, streaming, amp modules. I can't say that any of those are attractive enough to overcome my preference for the M5, though. Of course, YMMV.

Any other questions, just shoot.

M2 should be here Mon/The for comparison...
beerchug.gif

Rumours??? How bout some real music… I'd suggest the new Anthrax.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #29 of 1,112
My M3 is up in Canada right now Judge584. Been there for awhile, so it's hard for me to comment on M3 vs. M5. M5 is certainly a nice design update at the very least, and from memory M5 sounds more dynamic / energetic than M3. But that's just from memory so take it with a grain of salt.

I'll listen to M5 with HE400 tonight and report back...

Thank you.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #30 of 1,112
Never much liked Anthrax. Did jam some Behemoth on the M5 today, though. Man, I wish they didn't compress the living hell out if their music...
rolleyes.gif

I just find it a minor annoyance when folks always trot out those "audiophile approved warhorses that really should be sent to the glue factory" (read a blog a bit back about an audio show the guy went to and all that was coming out of every demo system was Diana freakin Krall).
wink.gif

Actually a bad music impression does help too. Unfortunately there's waay too much of it, but it does help to know if it is at least listenable - I know some players can really spotlight bad recordings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back